PDA

View Full Version : Roster Disruption and Stress

MaximumPete
6th Aug 2003, 00:40
I was wondering if the HSE will be taking an interest in roster disruption as a cause of excessive stress in aircrew?Multiple roster changes are hardly condusive to a high workload environment. In theory an airline that doesn't get it's act together can be prosecuted.

Perhaps meal breaks will have to be rostered?

MP:eek:

BOAC
6th Aug 2003, 04:13
MP - I suspect you'll find the airlines will claim 'exemption' as they did with the EC 'maximum weekly hours' directive (and a few others!)

Meeb
6th Aug 2003, 04:31
Exemptions will soon be a thing of the past. At long last something coming out of Europe will actually be helpful. The transport industry will not be expempt from the hours worked per week for example. I heard a date of this October for implementation.

Pete, agree with you 100%. I never knew roster disruption could be so bad until the company I work for was taken over by a larger outfit who have a real talent for being disorganised. Daily roster changes seem to be the norm in this crap outfit and I have never in 20+yrs seen morale so low as amongst my collegues.

finalschecks
6th Aug 2003, 04:32
Or how about constant layoff threat "as a cause of excessive stress in aircrew"

??:(

BOAC
6th Aug 2003, 04:53
Meeb - Exemptions will soon be a thing of the past. At long last something coming out of Europe will actually be helpful. The transport industry will not be expempt from the hours worked per week for example. I heard a date of this October for implementation - any links to this? It would certainly make some waves.

Meeb
6th Aug 2003, 19:13
BOAC, saw it mentioned on the news (BBC?) on Monday. The piece said the EU had stated that the transport industry could not in the future be exempt from working hours laws. The medical profession was also reported to have started to implement the new situation. Hopefully balpa will be onto this one and get some more info through them.

Sorry I cannot be more specific.

Airbus Girl
8th Aug 2003, 04:49
I believe its coming in in 2 years time, but I think it might be earlier for coach drivers and some others. The government I believe, are trying to decide whether to keep the exemption or not. That is, they are not sure if the working week should stay at what it is now (no limit) or go to the EU rule which is 48 hours per week maximum (I think). France average working week is 35 hours.

I cannot imagine how the airlines are going to cope if that comes into force. 55 hours rostered is the usual, 60 hours (or more) not unknown. And how are they going to roster the 15 miunute breaks!!!!

Anthony Carn
8th Aug 2003, 15:31
How will airlines cope ?

Simple ! They'll write rosters and regulate hours in order to comply.

They'll have to recruit more people and they'll force wages down to keep the costs the same, using the new regulations as their justification.

I'm sure BALPA will...............

...............sorry, forget that bit. :(

Big Tudor
8th Aug 2003, 16:38
Be aware that most of the regulatory hour limits are based on averages over an extended period. For example the 48 hour week can be averaged out over 12 months.

AC, you are becoming very cynical. ;)

Arkroyal
8th Aug 2003, 22:45
Where I come from, they're stressful enough before they get disrupted. Common to be rostered in excess of 90 flying hours in 28 Days, and not a weekend off in months.

Anyone know a good divorce lawyer?

Edited to say, Hi Pete, how's retirement suiting? Know of a decent pilot's union by any chance?:=

kriskross
8th Aug 2003, 23:12
Our Company has just published the EU ruling about the travel industry not being exempt from the 48 hour week, and guess what, guys and gals, flight crew and cabin crew are not included!!

That means all the musing over the 17 weeks average max nix, we all have to carry on as before!!! Amazing aint it.

This is what my Company have sent out to everyone:-

7 August 2003

Employment Law Update - Working Time Regulations - August 2003.

As you may already be aware the Working Time Regulations have been amended to include the transport sector from the 1st August 2003 and this means that we now need to adhere to the rules set out in them.

The regulations have been extended to cover non-mobile transport workers, which means Flight Deck and Cabin Crew are not affected by the changes. However, all other areas of the business must comply with the regulations.

The HR team have already audited each area to check whether we need to make any changes to our working practices and where we have identified issues they are currently being addressed in conjunction with the line management of the department.

The regulations are in place to ensure that you get enough time off and breaks from work. The main rules of the act are:

Ø A limit to an average of 48 hours a week (excluding breaks) that you can be required to work. (You can however choose to work more hours.)
Ø Working time is calculated over 17 weeks, so you can do more than 48 hours in one week, just not when it is averaged out over 17 weeks.
Ø A right to eleven hours rest each day
Ø A right to a day off each week
Ø A limit to an average of 8 hours work in each 24 which night workers can be expected to work
Ø A right to free health assessments for night workers
Ø A right to 4 weeks paid holiday each year.

Airbrake
9th Aug 2003, 00:15
Have they closed the loop hole which says a week runs from Monday to Monday and not a rolling 7 days?
I can currently work 12 days (with due rest) and not have worked 1 duty week!
Figure that one out.

rjdude
9th Aug 2003, 09:44
I wouldn't get too excited about the Working Time Directive, there are just as many loopholes as you'll find in CAP371.

CAP371 is actually well within the WTD, the only 'grey' area is the 'week', which is why the CAA published the proposed amendment to move the limits to rolling 7 day periods etc.

Its the way CAP371 is implemented into the rosters which is the problem.

Anyway the government, and the rest of the EU, has until 1st Dec 2003 to implement the WTD for mobile workers within the civil aviation sector.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/work_time_regs/exsectors.htm

HZ123
10th Aug 2003, 01:00
Regarding these comments then the BA walkout a few weeks ago starts to make more sence as does the idea of BA annualising hours.

One thing though I cannot see any airports / airlines or GHA wanting to take more staff even at a reduced rate of pay. That and the criminal records check should lead to more vacancies but recruitment costs a fortune and often if you process 100 you lucky if you get 7 or 8 staff with no garantee they will remain.