PDA

View Full Version : B744 cabin crew rest Smoke detector.

askcv
21st Feb 2001, 04:19
Can someone who knows the system please tell me how the smoke detector in the rear crew rest area is reset? it affects the Recirc fans and a reset allows for the fans to be put back on line. I have looked at the panel and there is no Reset button, it only has Test switches (two A and B switches and a light test switch). I assume that testing the individual circuits will achieve the reset but would like to be sure before I go ahead and try it.
The engineers on the routes I fly don't have a clue about the system and there is nothing in the various manuals. Frustrating.

Cornish Jack
21st Feb 2001, 12:49
ASKCV
The recirc fan resets are on the bottom of the rectangular black panel on the right hand side of the top stairs to the 'Wendy House'. Not terribly easy to see but it is a push button and should be decal-ed.

askcv
26th Feb 2001, 05:45
Jack..Found it, thanks, it was on the crew temp control panel and labeled Fan Reset. I assumed it was a heater fan for the crew area and was not aware it was for the Recirc fans. Poorly labeled, I think. But now I know what it is, thanks again.

aviator
26th Feb 2001, 10:38
The flight attendants have been known to use this "trick" (testing the smoke detection)to disable the recirc fans and thereby make the packs go into high flow.

When you are in cruise with "VNAV Path" on the PFD and show high flow on the ECS page, go back and reset the smoke detector, lest you be looking at 0.8 percent extra fuel burn.

It can make or break your day when you are flying a long flight where fuel is a consideration.

askcv
27th Feb 2001, 05:11
Precisely. That was my problem, and the purser would then claim not to know where the reset button was located. Without my being able to give precise directions I would be snookered. And they would not let me go up there, since there were girls resting in the bunks.