PDA

View Full Version : Instructor pay

Kempus
30th Jul 2003, 19:39
Hi guys!

Was just wondering if any of you can tell me the expected pay for a new instructor? Wanting to fly commercially but thinking it would be benificial to get an instructors rating and doing that for a couple of years getting experience before sitting ATPL exams.
This a good idea? I mean if i was to borrow the 25 odd grand needed to get the rating would i be making enough money to pay it back?

Cheers guys!

Kempus :ok:

Mark 1
30th Jul 2003, 20:24
Hi Kempus,

You'll need to do your ATPL exams first anyway, before you can start the instructor course (or al least CPL exams, but if you want to get ATPL anyway its best to do ATPL exams first).

You will also need a CPL before you can get paid as an instructor, and as a full time job its barely enough to live on.

African Drunk
31st Jul 2003, 04:31
£12.50 to £20 a flying hour unless your full time.

Fancy Navigator
4th Aug 2003, 07:04
A little bit of help please....
How much does a full time instructor earn? I am not trying to be curious or anything, but just wondering if aiming at becoming an instructor as a carreer is a viable option ? I love this aspect of flying, and would be happy doing it for a few years, if not for more!
Do you get enough to live decently? How much a month do you get in average?
Thanks for your answers....:cool:
Cheers

PS: if you wish to PM me to give me figures, feel free to do it :)

Break Even
5th Aug 2003, 05:45
Fancy Nav:

Where I work we full timers teaching PPLs receive £20 a day for showing up, and £10/hr flying (i.e. engine running time). Nothing extra for briefing.

Part-time instructors get £8/hr, nothing for showing up.

This means about £10000-12000 per annum gross.

Interestingly enough our school charges some of the highest prices per hour in the country.

African Drunk
5th Aug 2003, 07:55
Estimate of £600-800 a month plus £10-15 a hour over 25 hours flown a month. IR instructors and CFI's £14 000-30 000 per annum. Better pay working for Jerez or OAT. Probably earn more as assistant manager at McDonalds.