PDA

View Full Version : TSR2

GJB
19th Feb 2001, 19:03
Does anyone know if there is an intact TSR2, or were they all broken up?

And to resolve a debate - was it cancelled in favour of the F1-11 or F4??

Hope someone can help.

10W
19th Feb 2001, 19:51
"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR.2 simply got the first three right."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Two TSR2 aircraft still exist in museums, one at RAF Cosford, the other at Duxford. Various bits and pieces exist in other locations, such as a test cockpit section at Brooklands.

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/tsr2/survivors.html

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]

GJB
19th Feb 2001, 20:58
Great link - thanks. Wonder why pictures of the cockpit are not allowed?

[This message has been edited by GJB (edited 19 February 2001).]

excrewingbod
20th Feb 2001, 02:14
GJB,

The TSR2 was cancelled due to politics, nothing else. The F1-11 order was a smoke screen.

To this day feelings run very high on the subject.

I highly recommend the documentary about the TSR2. Its available on video and also it is shown a few times a year on the Discovery Channel. It is a great eye opener, not only on the aircraft but the politics and the subsequent destruction of the British aviation industry.

Code Blue
20th Feb 2001, 02:36
For real conspiracy theorists, there are the parallels with the Canadian Avro Arrow.

------------------
-.-- --.- -..-
[email protected]

twistedenginestarter
20th Feb 2001, 13:25
BAC were forced to build the Concorde whereas they wanted to build the 3-11. The 3-11 was effectively an Airbus A300.

Makes you proud to be British.

Not.

GJB
20th Feb 2001, 14:58
I am aware of the grounds on which the TSR2 was cancelled - just wanted to know if there was an intact one remaining. I am glad to see there is.

Thanks again for your posts and info.

Tobbes
20th Feb 2001, 18:48
XR222 and XR220 (from memory) are the two that are left complete. '220 is at Cosford and the other one (which I think is '222) is at Duxford.

However, the other site will tell you that, and that's not the point of this post. Being a Light Blue reservist, I was up at Cosford on a semi-official visit, and a couple of us were able to get into '220, and it was stunning. M-B Mk 8 seats very comfortable, the design obivously sixites but also very neatly laid out and it was amazing (I smiled for a week!) though tinged with the usual sadness and anger over the criminal waste of it all.

Also had good look around '220, and since it has sat indoors nearly all it's life (first at Cranfield, then at Cosford), it's in strinkingly good condition -- anyone fancy getting BA to part with a couple of Olumpus 593s for fast taxying . . . ? Perchance to dream. As the Duxford one has sat outside a lot, I'm not sure what kind of state it's in. Anyone any information?

Tobbes

(edited because I can't type)

[This message has been edited by Tobbes (edited 20 February 2001).]

cyclops
20th Feb 2001, 18:49
I knew a bod in the RAF who had worked on TSR2. When I wanted to be cruel I would bring it up in conversation. He would burst into tears.