PDA

View Full Version : ATCO training

kesh
29th Jul 2003, 05:22
I am just about to apply for a Trainee ATCO position with NATS, but I've been reading up on the number of applicants per year and don't know how much chance I stand of actually being successful! I was wondering if there was any way of paying for myself to train to become an ATCO, and if so does anyone know if they do it at Bournemouth College of Air Traffic Control? Ideally I'd like to work at Swanick, but as this is a NATS establishment, would they employ ATCO's who were not trained by NATS themselves? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

fly bhoy
29th Jul 2003, 15:53
Kesh

Don't be discouraged by the number of applicants. At the end of the day you're not competing against anyone else in the application process (just against the system itself) and if you're good enough to get in then you'll get in....you may have to wait a few years from start to finish but you will get there if you've got the ability.

As for paying to train privately, I'm pretty sure you can do it, but someone else would be better suited then me to tell you how much it costs and what the prospects are of working at Swanwick once you've completed the course.

Hope this helps:ok:

FB

Jerricho
30th Jul 2003, 02:14
Kesh, if it's something you want to do, then go for it. Of course, your reasons have to be a little more than "I hear it's a good paying job".

I have heard of people paying for their aerodrome course at the college, but have not heard of anyone paying for an area ticket, which you would require to work at Swanwick (please feel free to correct me here college boffins.....)

Barnaby the Bear
31st Jul 2003, 02:06
I think that would cost an absolute fortune, and be a huge financial risk.
I would go for NATS. People do get in so why not you!:8
Also for anybody with ADC only tickets. Have just heard on the grape vine that Lands End Aerodrome are on the look out. And Student licences are acceptable. The email address is [email protected] :ok:

Spooney
9th Aug 2003, 21:46
"I've been reading up on the number of applicants per year and don't know how much chance I stand of actually being successful!"

Well, I do know one thing Kesh and that is you'll never know unless you apply in the first place!!
Why make life difficult for yourself.... Exhaust all the easier options before you try the harder and more risky ones. i.e. paying for your training.

You could also try other organisations too, like Eurocontrol for example.
I applied Three times for NATS. On each time was more successful, but I didn't make it through the application process (I was too Verbose apparently at the interview, even though I'd passed the ability tests!??!

Three years later and I'm a qualified Upper Area Radar controller in Eurocontrol and living in Maastricht, Netherlands.
As far as I'm concerned NATS can shove it up......... Their loss. I know where I'd rather be.

Keep your options open...........

Good Luck :ok:

Spitoon
10th Aug 2003, 16:21
Spooney, you could just have said "Go for it!".

Spooney
11th Aug 2003, 14:03
:O I did it again...............