PDA

View Full Version : Overhead panel B737

Kace
28th Jul 2003, 21:45
I always thought that Lufthansa was the only airline to have the switches on the overhead panel of the Boeing 737 fitted the other way around. That is, 'ON' is positioned up. In stead of Boeing standard which puts 'ON' down or forward. Now I learned that BA also has these switches turned around.

Is this true? And if so, what is the reason BA and LH chose this non-standard panel layout?

Thanks for the answers, Kace

A Very Civil Pilot
29th Jul 2003, 05:54
I was taught that to remember which way swithces work, thing of a pair of trousers - if they're up they're on, if they're down they're off.

On moving to the 737, I had to rethink of them is 'knicker' switches - if they're down, your on!;)

Sheep Guts
29th Jul 2003, 09:28
I agree the Classic example of this was when Ansett Australia ordered 767-200S WITH FLIGHT ENGINEER POSITIONS.
To keep jobs........

Absolute madness and costly for the Company and they eventually changed them back.

And ofcourse now the Administrators cant move them because they cant pass an FAA check due to this Mod then unmodded type.

Regards
sheep

ZFT
29th Jul 2003, 11:11
<<No BA's B737s are the standard type, switch down for on. Lufthansa's 737s are the only ones I've ever seen with the switches the other way round.>>

Thai Airway B734s are also this configuration. I believe it's called the Atlas configuration. Maybe someone can confirm.

Kace
30th Jul 2003, 00:27
I've flown the B737 in both configurations, standard and non-standard. Actually I don't bother too much about it. You always need to pay attention on what you're doing when you're flipping switches anyway. So this question is just out of curiosity.

As long as I don't have to move the gear lever up to get the wheels down it is all fine with me! Luckily LH didn't change that! ;)