PDA

View Full Version : Cabotage.

Whispering Giant
28th Jul 2003, 06:49
Just a quick question - especially to any CAA bod's who peruse these forums.

Have Ryanair actually been granted cabotage right's by the UK CAA and DETR to operate internal flight's within the uk ???

My understanding is that these are very very rarely granted - if so how come they get away with operating domestic route's like STN-NQY,BOH-EDI, etc...

LGW Vulture
28th Jul 2003, 19:23
Because now any EU operator can operate anywhere in Europe. European Cabotage is now automatically granted to EU, or in fact EEA member operators. This final granting of rights I think was introduced in the final deregulation in 1997.

Cathar
29th Jul 2003, 01:47
Just to back up LGW Vulture's sound advice with a couple of extracts from the legislation:

EC Council Regulation 2408/92
Article 3
1. Subject to this Regulation, Community air carriers shall be permitted by the Member State(s) concerned to exercise traffic rights on routes within the Community.
2. Notwithstanding paragraph 1, before 1 April 1997 a Member State shall not be required to authorize cabotage traffic rights within its territory by Community air carriers licensed by another Member State, unless: ..

Air Navigation Order 2000
113 - (1) An aircraft registered in a Contracting State other than the United Kingdom, or in a foreign country, shall not take on board or discharge any passengers or cargo in the United Kingdom where valuable consideration is given or promised in respect of the carriage of such persons or cargo, except with the permission of the Secretary of State granted under this article to the operator or the charterer of the aircraft or to the Government of the country in which the aircraft is registered, and in accordance with any conditions to which such permission may be subject unless that aircraft is exercising traffic rights permitted by virtue of Council Regulation 2408/92[11] on access for Community air carriers to intra-community air routes (as that Regulation has effect in accordance with the EEA Agreement[12] as amended by the Decision of the EEA Joint Committee No. 7/94 of 21st March 1994[13]).

BN2A
1st Aug 2003, 22:57
I thought Cabotage was destroying a taxi....:\

Sorry everybody...
Carry on...