PDA

View Full Version : about the taxi light

ZC553043
25th Jul 2003, 19:54
hi gentelmen, me the chinese 737 pilot again,this time i've got a question about the SOP again. the SOP of our airlines tell us to keep all lights on including the taxilight for take off in the night, after 400ft AGL we turn it off with the runway turn off light and the outboard landing light,leave the inboard landing light on till 10000ft.

but i am not so agree with this. i think there is 2 hazard on it.

1st, 400ft is a quite low height,at that moment the pilots are very busy, paying to much attention on the light will increase their work load ,actually we often forget to turn it off.

2nd, if we forget to turn the taxi light off, it'll keep illuminate after gear retraction in the nose wheel well, the nose wheel don't have break, the snubbers' stoping their rotation will generate some heat, if the taxi light give heat aswell,things will be quite unsafe, since the nose wheel well don't have a fire or over heat protection, we'll not beable to feel this protential overheat.

so from me i would like to suggest our airlines to change the SOP. i think during the night take off, the taxi light is quite unnecessary. we'd better turn it off before take off,only use the 4 langing lights and the runway turn off lights. at some safe altittude, we turn them off.

i am so looking forward to fine some suggestion from you guys down here. please tell me something about your oppinion or your airlines' SOP about this, i'll be so appriciate!!!

GlueBall
26th Jul 2003, 05:18
Our SOPs do not address the use of taxi lights; it is left to the discretion of the captain. However it is accepted technique to utilize landing lights when climbing and descending below 10,000 feet AGL. Nevertheless, landing at night during low overcast, or while taxiing at night in foggy conditions would reduce forward visibility if lights are left on. I don't know about the 737 nosewheel taxi light, but in the airplanes that I have operated the lights go out automatically when the gear retracts into the wheel well, irrespective of the switch position in the cockpit.

Captain Stable
26th Jul 2003, 19:20
Are you sure the taxy light doesn't extinguish on gear retraction?

ZC553043
27th Jul 2003, 14:15
on B737-300/500 the taxilight won't go out while gear restraction.
but on B737-800 i guess it will go out, coz the switch of the taxilight got two position, one is "off", the other is "auto",while the 735 is "off" and "on". but i still think that the taxi light is useless on take off.
please go on with your suggestion.

411A
28th Jul 2003, 13:24
ZC553043,
Don't fly 737 equipment, but suggest your comment about lights on/off at 400agl is a good one.
Would personally leave it 'til later, guys have enough to do at low level.
Safety first, IMO.

Maximum
28th Jul 2003, 23:05
ZC553043

SOP's I'm familiar with for the B737 300/400/500 state taxy light off before commencing take-off. Because you will have at least the inboard landing lights providing illumination during the take-off roll, the taxy light is not necessary. This procedure also means you are less likely to leave it on after gear retraction. Seems the best way to me.:D

Down...2 greens
30th Jul 2003, 03:19
400' does seem a little low to be messing around with non-essentials like exterior lights!! Our SOP is to leave them set as for takeoff until the after take-off items are accomplished (when convenient). Also, if it's night the turnoffs, rather than inboards, are left on because they shine out at a 30 degree angle and so are less likely to blind the pilot by 'glare' off clouds.

Finally, the Boeing 737 Operations Manual says 'For increased service life of the taxi light, it is recommended that the taxi light not be used for takeoff and landing'.

Hope that's of some interest....

Human Factor
30th Jul 2003, 20:19
Used to turn the taxi-light off before take-off once the landing lights were on. Plenty of light anyway and saves forgetting later.

Funky Me
29th Aug 2003, 01:46
There is a clue in the question.... Why, for example is it called a ´Taxi´ light and not a ´FWD nose´ or ´Nose Landing´ light etc ? :confused:

Our SOP´s are not to use it for TO or Landing but when necessary (at night for example) to taxi in and out, when you can´t see the taxi centreline. One of our 733´s doesn´t even have one fitted and that seems to fly and taxi ok. :D

Besides, the runway lights are usually bright enough to be able to determine the centre markings even in Low vis ops.

Seems, In my humble opinion that your SOP´s are a little distracting from the task in hand at 400 feet AGL. If boeing don´t recommend it, that also speaks volumes too.

Good luck in trying to introduce the changes at your workplace.

FWA NATCA
30th Aug 2003, 04:35
Captain Stable,

>>Are you sure the taxy light doesn't extinguish on gear retraction?

Oh, I can see it now, someone will jack up an aircraft, raises the gear just to peer into the nose well to see if the light really does go out.

Mike

Captain Stable
30th Aug 2003, 19:31
:} Allow me to rephrase...

Are you sure the taxy light isn't supposed to extinguish on gear retraction?

:ok:

Capt. Stable Trying to stick his head in the refrigerator whilst closing the door...