PDA

View Full Version : 2 simple question I hope

touch&go
23rd Jul 2003, 06:37
Just two question I have come across and can't find the answer.

1. What is a Battery Safety Cell?

2. Why has the Hercules got square tips at the end of the props, is it to do with STOL?

Thanks.

Mark 1
23rd Jul 2003, 20:19
I believe the paddle blade propellers were Hamilton Standard's way of increasing the solidity and hence torque loading of the propeller to absorb the power with a less than optimum propeller diameter.
I think this was to give extra prop tip ground clearance as a trade off against slightly reduced efficiency because of the higher tip losses.

PlaneTruth
28th Jul 2003, 04:03
As a former "Four Fanned Trash Can" pilot with about 750 hours in type, I never heard the reasoning for the prop shape. I do know the Orion (P-3) had high-speed props and they were round tipped. The H model Herk could outrun an A-10 down low so to call it slow is really a relative assessment. I do know the dadblamed props ate tons of torque generated by the motor: 19,600 inch-pounds comes to mind (19,600 pounds hung from a 1 inch fulcrum). During flight test in the late 50's the flight test pilots never discovered the power on stall speed. They quit at 45 degrees nose high saying, "You don't pay us enough to go higher."

PT:ok:

SP
30th Jul 2003, 21:17
Donīt worry. These questions donīt get asked at CX interview anymore.
SP