PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg.......a place to live?

Jerricho
21st Jul 2003, 17:54
Hey all,

Could anybody from Winnipeg please give me their thoughts and views on what the place is like to live and work.

And, any Air Traffic people, I would really appreciate a chance for a bit of a discussion about the Centre and Airspace.

Thank you,
J

MOTHERGOOSE
22nd Jul 2003, 07:35
hi j,
i dont live in the peg now but i trained there,my thoughts are its not bad at all,its got all you need and some,if you have any specific Q let me know

pittss2b
22nd Jul 2003, 10:20
We live close by...Winnipeg is alright...lots of sunshine...taxes are are high...

Adam
www.harvsair.com

MLS-12D
22nd Jul 2003, 23:27
Well, Winnipeg is not a bad place, aside from the occasional floods! See further here (http://www.esemag.com/0797/flood.html).

It is best known as Canada's mosquito capital, but apparently they have that situation under control now: see here (http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/07/06/mosquitoes030706) (the city spends millions of dollars annually on mosquito control measures).

Winnipeg has the largest Aboriginal population of any Canadian city; I suppose this could be either a good or bad thing, depending upon your particular point of view.

This general website may be helpful to you: Winnipeg 411 (http://winnipeg411.com/directory/).

STC
22nd Jul 2003, 23:53
Taxes? I assume that comment meant that property taxes in Winnipeg are higher than they are in Steinbach or other rural towns. Of course many choose to live just outside Winnipeg to avoide the burden of property taxes that support the vast infrastructure required of a large city, while enjoying the benifits.

The property taxes in Winnipeg, as well as the general cost of living are well below those of other large cities. Housing here is very affordable.

Car insurance in Manitoba is among the least expensive.

Native population? Manitoba has approximately 10% aboriginal (or first nations) people as compared to about 2% nationally. In my opinion, this is one of the major reasons Manitoba is considered a "have not" province. There is a huge burden to supply infrastructure to supply the needs of the aboriginal people here. This isn't a commentary on the lifestyle of aboriginal people. If you don't agree with me, thats fine, but I can offer an awful lot of supporting documentation.

Anyway, as far as having a large aboriginal population, this is fairly irrelevant day to day as far as I'm concerned, but you will tend to see more aboriginal people on average in certain areas of the city.

Weather? I've lived here most of my life, and find that the biggest problem with the weather is that many Winnipeggers like to embelish. Everyone seems to just love to talk about the -50 winter days, when Winnipeg has NEVER seen extremes like that. It does get cold in the winter but this is Canada isn't it?

Anyway, the winters are quite bearable because it is very dry. We do get extremes for a couple of weeks during the winter but its often sunny and dry. I am much more comfortable in Winnipeg in the winter than in Montreal where the humidity seems to make it feel much colder.

Bugs? LOTS of mosquitos normally, but strangely I have yet to see one this year. It seems that the larvaside program is really working.

Winnipeg has lots of nice parks and golf courses. Quite a few attractions to keep you busy and much less traffic than many other large cities. Restaraunts? You can probably eat out every day for a year and still have new places to go.

There are tons of places to shop and its no coincidence that we are known as the "Wholesale capital of Canada".

If you are into non-prairie sports such as skiing or snowboarding, ski hills aren't that far away in Minnesota and Western Manitoba. Lakes? We got lots. Fishing? Ditto. Hunting? Oh yah.

Pro sports? No more NHL but we still have great hockey, a decent baseball team and of course the CFL Blue Bombers.

Floods? I was here during the "flood of the century". If you didn't leave the city limits you would barely know it was happening. Winnipeg has a floodway that backs the flow up and releases it into a bypass. We don't have to worry, but the towns south of us take the brunt of it.

Winnipeg is a nice safe, affordable place to raise a family and I would recommend it to anyone. Just don't believe what everyone tells you about the cold.

Jerricho
23rd Jul 2003, 02:32
Thank you so much to everybody.

And STC, BIG thanks to yourself! Very comprehensive! My wife isn't too sure about the move there, and the more good things I can show her, the better.

lloyd christmas
23rd Jul 2003, 02:39
Jerricho. Are you doin the experienced controller program?

PaperTiger
23rd Jul 2003, 03:17
Just don't believe what everyone tells you about the cold.Depends what you're used to. Not only is it a damn site colder than what most Europeans will have experienced, but it lasts a lot longer too. If one is not into winter sports, Winnipeg can be very tedious. On the upside, the summer flying is marvellous so long as you're down before the daily CB.

Point Seven
23rd Jul 2003, 05:19
Jerricho

Found you, you little rascal!

Just tell Dee that everything will be A-OK. The Peg will be top fun, Toronto to come and it'll be a great place for your old Pommy buddies to visit.:ok:

P7

Jerricho
23rd Jul 2003, 05:45
Thanx P 7.

What you doing in here?

For the second best controller in the world, you can make a guy feel pretty good about it all! But I thought I told you, everybody but you is invited ;)

tobzalp
23rd Jul 2003, 23:46
Hi. I am a Man in Winnipeg looking for realtions with a man of dubious ATC skill and heritage. reply now.

Jerricho
24th Jul 2003, 00:41
Tobzalp,

I have a younger brother in Australia who is thinking about heading Canada way......he may be interested! I'll hook you up with him. Very tall.....enjoys being dominated!

Llloyd........yes, the experienced controller program.

lloyd christmas
24th Jul 2003, 16:33
Jerricho, check ur pms

STC
26th Jul 2003, 11:41
Not only is it a damn site colder than what most Europeans will have experienced, but it lasts a lot longer too.

Nobody said that this wasn't so.

That pretty much goes for the vast majority of Canadian cities and many American cities as well. Now all we have to do is ask the millions of Europeans why they moved to colder climates...

:)

Do you think Winnipeg has colder/longer winters than regions of Finland or Sweden? How about good flying weather as compared to the UK? Of course if you cross over into Asia, there are quite a few major cities that have as cold, or colder climates.

VooDoo222
9th Aug 2003, 00:58
Mosquito capital of Canada for sure.