PDA

View Full Version : How many pro pilots are spotters??

Rod Eddington
21st Jul 2003, 16:41
Hey everyone, just would be interested to find out what kind of %age of you pro pilots are spotters. I know a couple of nigels who are but other than that, i've no idea.

As for me, i'm indifferent to it - I can happily stand and watch planes take off and land all day; writing down their registrations doesn't really add to the experience.

Cheers
Rod:ok:

Avman
21st Jul 2003, 16:48
A lot more than will openly admit to it! Same on the controller side. After all it's not "cool" is it ;)

Bear 555
21st Jul 2003, 17:42
Spotter, photographer, enthusiast, ACARS, airband scanner junkie, whatever - we are all people who enjoy the environment we work in.

All the same really? Professionals and enthusiasts as one.

Bear 555

Draven
21st Jul 2003, 18:37
Hi,

Im not a "pro" pilot, i am a "student" pilot, but one of my other passions is airline photography, but has for writting down their registration, no, i go more for the artistic side of the photo.

JP

slingsby
22nd Jul 2003, 16:28
I used to love sitting and watching aircraft landing in difficult conditions (still do when I can), now I don't really find the time now I'm on the other side of the fence. I do still go to airshows though.

KitKatPacificuk
22nd Jul 2003, 22:19
I enjoy keeping upto date on what the airlines are doing, I enjoy looking at them too. I know a few pro pilots who don't even know the difference between a 737 and an A320. I think you should take time to find out more than just how they fly. Especially when ATC ask you to line up behind a certain type and you don't know what it looks like. Do they have a Jane aircraft regognition book in their case!

Rod Eddington
23rd Jul 2003, 22:29
So no-one's actually admitted to it yet.

Do you think that means there are no pilot spotters out there? Or just none willing to admit to it?!!;)

Think you hit the nail on the head Avman

Evanelpus
23rd Jul 2003, 23:40
Rod

The closet door is well and truly jammed shut!!

By the way, shouldn't you be sorting out the workforce at LHR instead of taking time out to PPRuNe?

Techman
23rd Jul 2003, 23:42
I think that if you believe that there are many professionals out there who are spotters, simply because no one has denied, it you are sorely mistaken.

I have yet to come across any.
But then again, I have yet to have worked on Antartica.

simon brown
24th Jul 2003, 00:31
RTO

mean you'll meet the same pilot outside the fence wearing a strange hat, sporting a camera/scanner/notebook

You forgot the flying suit/M2 jacket with all the badges....

arthur harbrow
24th Jul 2003, 01:12
Ian Burnett, ex? BA 747 captain regularly compiled a monthly section for Air Britain magazine on overseas registrations, also
contributed the UK reg section for Pilot magazine.
I have a friend from schooldays who last i heard is a FO for Channel Express who is a closet spotter, if he is reading this a large sum of money in a plain brown envelope each month should prevent your name appearing on this forum.
Incidentally Ian Burnett, one of the nicest and most helpful people you could wish to meet.

Avman
24th Jul 2003, 02:53
I know at least three pilots who are very knowledgeable about aircraft regies etc. That they actually number bash I don't know. I also know several who are serious amateur aviation photographers. Recently I met a Virgin B744 Captain who often spends his spare time photographing airliners on airport ramps around the world. I doubt if he was a number basher but he was most certainly a knowledgeable enthusiast.

GlueBall
24th Jul 2003, 03:01
When staying at airport hotels I always request a room with a window facing the airport. :cool:

P.Pilcher
24th Jul 2003, 05:06
Of course, sometimes the pros can do a bit better than the spotters! I parked on the ramp at EGBB once some years ago and was doing my post flight paperwork when my steward told me that Concorde had arrived and may he go and have a look.
I agreed and a few minutes later he returned to say that they wouldn't let him aboard. I waited for all the BA hosties to get off and get to the hotel bar then, equipped with said steward I approached. I asked the same question of the flight engineer who was supervising refuelling. Noting my four rings he assured me and my steward that we could board. We climbed the stairs, he turned right for the leather interior, and I turned left for the flight deck and a first officer who gave me the "tour".

Some years previously I was with my wife at my aero club on the day before the local air show when many of the interesting machines arrived. We wandered around many of them and watched the BBMF land. They taxied up and shut down. By the time we had inspected Spitfires and Hurricane (gently dripping oil) the crew were just getting off the Lancaster. "Mind if we have a look inside? I asked.
"Help yourself" was the reply so we crawled all over it.
My brother in law was a genuine "anorak". We didn't know he was there that day on the other side of the barrier with notebook, pencil and binoculars. But he saw us, and was as sick as a parrot!

Regis Potter
26th Jul 2003, 04:13
But Pete, I thought you used to be in the RAF ? ;)