PDA

View Full Version : Is this aerodynamic behavior possible?

Mochel
19th Jul 2003, 20:04
Hi

I am wondering if the following aerodynamic behavior is possible with a Jet airliner aircraft:

The Jet airliner aircraft is flying at 2000 ft or so
Weather calm, wind calm
Aircraft is in level flight
Clean confguration
We put the engines on IDLE
Based on this scenario, is it possible for the IAS to keep increasing despite the engines being on IDLE? I mean by increasing not a few knots but to keep gaining more indicated airspeed. Is it possible with some airliners?

This a debate I am having with someone and I would like to hear professionals give their opinions about it please.

Thanks!

parris50
19th Jul 2003, 20:41
I cant see how speed, indicated or otherwise, can increase unless the aircraft descends.

If anything, friction will slow the aircraft down (Newton's first law and all that).

On what basis do you propse that speed will increase?

Mochel
19th Jul 2003, 20:47
Thanks for the reply. This is exactly what i think and I agree with you but the other part I am debating with claims that Jet engines even on IDLE can do this. Here is what he sais:

"yes if the net thrust at idle is positive as it will often be at low altitude and Mach Nr (MN)."

Does it make any sense?

Thanks

parris50
19th Jul 2003, 21:06
Ah, I see what you mean! It's true that at idle, jets do produce thrust but a lot less than when on cruise power.

If the jet is at a constant speed at more than idle power, then reducing power will reduce either speed or height. I still can't see how speed will increase. I would add that I am not a jet pilot though!

Notso Fantastic
19th Jul 2003, 23:39
Quite right. It does not make any sense. To do so, one would have an aeroplane one could never bring down to earth (whilst the engines are running).

Jetdriver
20th Jul 2003, 00:42
As has been kindly pointed out to me, you have already posted this in "Tech Log" forum. Why are you now posting here as well ?

Multiple postings are generally not permitted and this one is now closed here !