PDA

View Full Version : BMI@BHD

quaerereverum
30th Oct 2001, 22:32
When BMI announced the move fom BFS 2 BHD, there was a lot of discussion on the board about runway state, length weather, etc.

Just wondered what the actual experience of getting the 'buses on or off the ground was, now that the service is in full flow

why bmi
30th Oct 2001, 22:40
Went into BHD in a 321 on Sunday. No problems. Did not even need full reverse, and cleared at A2 (just short of full length). Went back out again with 185 pax and a 7kt tailwind and could even use reduced thrust. It was a super day, though, and it remains to be seen what a bad one will reveal. ;)

dickyd
30th Oct 2001, 22:52
is bhd belfast city?

quaerereverum
30th Oct 2001, 22:55
yessireebob!

dickyd
30th Oct 2001, 23:12
nice one! i live down the road from 'BHD' but i am currently doing a transport degree in england. is there not a problem with noise at city? i always thought the runway was long enough cause the BAe 146 lands there an does it not need roughly same landing distance as a321? with it not having reverse thrust an all! i did my work experience at city with brit regional airways, got a flight in flight deck of the 146! nice. i have seen 737's take of runway 04 over the city, will the residents not complain because i know they are very noisy. i would like to see the A321 at city becasue the airport is so good. does any bmi pilot remember me, i received an oppertunity flight in the 321 to heathrow and back from the air training corps.?? :) :)

keepitlit
31st Oct 2001, 14:11
Drove back into the City in the Bus for the first time Yesterday.
It was quite interesting,the margins for error are narrower but its fine.
I'll be a lot happier once I get a winter over in it.
As above we stopped before A2 with less than a 7kt headwind.
As for the departure we where still flexing to 60C(reduced take off thrust) and still airbourne before the tower,departing of RW22

Rdgs K.I.L.

"and its fried rice you plick"

Capt Chambo
31st Oct 2001, 19:15
I would echo most of the above. We were in and out in a "fullish" A320 and stopped well before the A2 taxiway using MED Autobrake, and very little reverse.

Coming out again was no problem, managed to flex almost to the max.

But there was a strong wind and the runway was dry!

Springbok220
31st Oct 2001, 21:26
Capt Chambo

What does 'flex to the max' mean?

Cheers

Springbok220 (just a curious wannabe ;) )

Doors to Automatic
31st Oct 2001, 23:13
Also am I right in thinking that the amount of reverse you use has bears no relation to the stopping distance - it just takes the wear off the brakes?

keepitlit
1st Nov 2001, 01:45
chambo,
Flex on a jet aircraft is the thrust required to meet the required performance for take off or a reduction of the max take off thrust that the engine can produce thus prolonging engine life

Hope this is the info you wanted

As with regards to using max reverse as opposed to brakes I think he was tying to say that it wasnt as tight to stop as expected more of a none event.
But I am interested to see the difference in the wet. :eek:

quaerereverum
1st Nov 2001, 02:53
"Why Bmi", "Keepitlit", "Capt Chambo".

Many thanks 4 ur insights.

I too am looking forward to the tales of derring do, wrestling those babies down in the murk!

Keep 'em coming.

Sailor boy
1st Nov 2001, 14:48
Doors to Auto.

In theory no. The autobrake setting should give a set rate of deceleration. However it doesn’t seem to work that way.

Phillipa Hole
1st Nov 2001, 15:49
As far as landing and take off performance are concerned remember most of the 146's ability to operate from short runways stem from the engine out climb performance. With one engine out the reduction in climb gradient is negligible, with any twin engine aircraft this is not the case. This is why take off is more limiting on runway 22 at BHD.
It is nice to see the Bus at BHD but in some respects it is PAIN IN THE BUTT. Ground handling is delaying the original customers-British Regional and British European. Also the airport terminal is congested due to the extra people travelling with BMI. BE and BRA are extremely unhappy with the current situation.
:rolleyes:

NICK HEFF
1st Nov 2001, 23:50
Landed after very heavy rain shower in a 145 and did a fair bit skidding,I think the runway was probably flooded.