PDA

View Full Version : How does one ILS proper?

4th Jan 2001, 18:19
I'm more sim then real pilot but have a very good sim (6' screen , all the controls, vg software etc) I use it for R22 simulating but have recently been wrestling with ILS on fixed wing. How does one hold the glide slope? What do you keep constant and what do you vary?

Roadtrip
4th Jan 2001, 19:32
Would recommend a good book on basic instrument flying.

Be on speed, trimmed, and configured at GS intercept. Lower the nose 3 deg from where it was in level flight. Decrease power slightly to hold airspeed constant. Crosscheck the VVI after stablizing in the descent. It should be about 600-800. (Miles/min x pitch = VVI; e.g. 2 mpm (120k) x 3 (GS angle) = 600)

Your attitude indicator and power setting are your primary "control" instruments. Airspeed , VVI, Hdg, and Altimeter are your "performance" instruments. Set your control instru and crosscheck howzitgoing on the performance instru. Make small changes of 1-2 deg in pitch or 2-3 in roll to keep from S-turning or wandering through the GS.

Again, recommend a good book or better yet, go see your local friendly flight instructor for the real thing. You'll love it.

CaptainSquelch
5th Jan 2001, 04:13
That's it Cron. Exactly as RoadTrip says. Find and attitude that works and KEEP IT. Find a heading that works and KEEP IT and find a power that work and KEEP IT. Trim the thing and see if it works without touching the stick. Once it does make only minor corrections.

And finally: GO AROUND if it does not look right. Just like a real plane.

Good luck

Sq

5th Jan 2001, 15:58
Thanks chaps - which book?

Horsepower
5th Jan 2001, 17:42
Cron,

Trevor Thom’s flying training manual Number 5 (Radio Navigation and Intrument Flying) is an easy-to-follow introduction to the principles of instrument flight without getting too bogged down in technical stuff. As said before, try it for real – it’s far more enjoyable! :)

Hope this helps.

HP

The Rookie
6th Jan 2001, 02:29
I can recommend Trevor Thom's book too. As a PPL I have just completed my IMC Rating as I always wanted to try ILS and general instrument flying. Plus, it can be useful to get you out of a tricky situation when flying VFR :)

Great fun and once you have done it a couple of times and understand what is going on very enjoyable. The most satisfying moment if going visual at DH and seeing the runway dead ahead.

The Rookie.

foghorn
7th Jan 2001, 19:52
Cron,

I have a brand new spare copy of Trevor Thom 5 going cheap if you want it (I've another copy) It's an excellent book. E-mail me.

Can't agree more with the comments about experiencing the real thing. Doing my IMC rating was worth every penny - as I want to fly airlines, instrument flying is real flying as far as I'm concerned.. roll on the IR (this year hopefully...)

foggy.

Frying Dutchman
17th Sep 2003, 18:23
How abt doing it right when given a simulated engine failure in a twin? What are the techniques involved? I have never seemed to be able to control the aircraft after an engine failure during ILS and sometimes I barely made it within tolerances. Appreciate all replies ;>

FD

simfly
17th Sep 2003, 19:09
Extra bit of help:- to work out what your descent rate should be,
groundspeed divide by 2 then times by 10. ie gs 160kts you should have -800fpm (160/2 =80, 80x10=800) Approx values, but if you can keep your VSI constant to the nearest 10fpm, then you are either the worlds best pilot, or have an enormous VSI!!

RatherBeFlying
17th Sep 2003, 21:13
An ILS in the sim with zero wind, shear and turbulence is a far different beast than one in the air with all of the preceeding.

Learning in the sim to get the idea may save expensive time in the air. A sim that can mix up the weather comes considerably closer to the real world. Add background noise and ATC amending the go around procedure on a poor radio to add to the fun.

The first time flying an ILS in the air, try it without the hood to get a feel for what it is required. One way to do that is to dial up the ILS whenever it is available on the runway you are using.