PDA

View Full Version : Honeywell Fms Joystick Flight Planning

used2flyboeing
17th Jul 2003, 01:56
Dear Learned Colleagues,

I was playing with a Honeywell FMS on an Embraer ERJ145 - can any one recall - when you line select the new waypoint ( that was created by slewing the cursor around ) - into the route - does the old route automatically delete/disappear - how does this deal with the route discontinuity thats created ? IE I know it draws a megenta segment to the new waypoint - but what about the waypoints that are left - in addition to the newly created one ?

Thanks!

Dear friends,

On some old COLLINS / HONEYWELL CRTs & most all new LCD Primary FLight Displays, the Vertical Speed display is represented as either a radial arc in the lower right hand corner OR a radial arc juxtaposed to the altitude tape ( IE located in close proximity & next to the altitude tape where the VS arc pointer points in the direction of the altitude tape ). Concerning the latter - I was told that the VS arc pointer will actually point to a target altitude - IE simultaneously give you ( IE point to ) VS & where your target altitude will be ( IE if you carry the VS pointer another 1/4 inch into the altitude tape window - it is pointing to an actual predicted altitude target )

Is this correct ? - Ive never seen this as a training point other than at Boeing. Anyone know for sure how this actually works ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated - Thanks !

Lucky Angel
20th Jul 2003, 01:32
Cant remember exactly but will try tomorrow and let you know what happens to the route.

used2flyboeing
21st Jul 2003, 00:53
Thanks - Was curious as to how it deals with the discontinuities - IE does the whole previous route disappear & reappear with the new waypoint ? DOes this happen automatically after you activate the route ?

Thanks !

Lucky Angel
23rd Jul 2003, 21:14
Hi use2flyboeing

Tried it the other day. When creating a waypoint using the joystick as you know gives the coordinates on the FMS. Then depending on where you decide to place the waypoint it will do exactly the same as when you put a new waypoint in using the scratchpad.
So it will fly to that waypoint and then to your next on the route.
Good for going around wx lol.