PDA

View Full Version : Landable Beaches UK & Ireland

Martinburney
16th Jul 2003, 13:20
Hi All

Someone has come up with a query, of any known landable beaches, in the UK & Ireland.

Any ( serious ) suggestions.

Regards Martin Burney

GrantT
16th Jul 2003, 14:10
Not a private flying sort of answer but Loganair used to operate a Shorts 360 from a beach at Barra in the Western Isles.

Pilotage
16th Jul 2003, 15:01
Actually Barra is in Pooleys and seems eminently useable (I've not tried). From memory it says something like "check tide-tables, no overnight parking".

There's a 1-4 mile section of beach a few miles north of Blackpool that are are shown on the chart as a microlight strip. I've flown from there and it was great fun and would have no problems landing most light aircraft on it - the local microlight club at Brook Farm (Lancashire Microlights I think) should be able to give you details and permission.

I've flown off Ardrossan Beach, which is betweeen Saltcoats and Largs on the West Coast of Scotland. Not officially listed as a landing site, but the locals seemed to have no problem with me flying from there.

P

Bear 555
16th Jul 2003, 15:41
Cuople of guys from Moray Flying Club at Kinloss have been down to Barra a few times, and report the surface and the welcome to be just fine.

Very valid point about the tide times, though. Call ahead for sure....

Bear 555

Dude~
16th Jul 2003, 16:17
Does it have to be take-off-able too?:p
If not try any pebble beach on the south coast..!

Circuit Basher
16th Jul 2003, 16:44
Let's try *not* to refer to Chris Linton here, guys!! :p :D

Blind lemon
16th Jul 2003, 17:32
I recall flights been undertaken from Southport Beach
years ago. Never seen it in any of the official guides though

cblinton@blueyonder.
16th Jul 2003, 17:58
Thanks CB:D

My passengers still ask if they need to bring a bucket and spade with them!!!!

:ugh:

BRL
16th Jul 2003, 18:16
Ditto with Southport. When I was a lad, ;) used to watch a Pa28 land on the beach. I can't remember to much, it was a long time ago but I think there used to be a Land-rover nearby overseeing things.

Wycombe
16th Jul 2003, 19:20
The RAF train C130 crews for sand landings at Pendine!

Mark 1
16th Jul 2003, 19:32
I've seen a couple of aircraft land at Brandon Bay on the Dingle peninsula in Ireland.

gingernut
16th Jul 2003, 21:04
I think Ainsdale (Southport) is marked on the 1/4 mill.
Watched a C172 perform pleasure flights about 8 yrs ago.

Whirlybird
16th Jul 2003, 22:31
Going flying for a few days in Scotland next month, hopefully...in something with non-whirly wings. Hoping to land on Barra, a longtime ambition, so if I do...I'll report back....

alphaalpha
16th Jul 2003, 23:32
I landed at Barra last month in a Reims Rocket. It posed no particular problems apart from needing to have the conviction that the parts of the runway covered by patches of shallow water (maybe 10 or 15 mm deep) are actually firm. There are three runways all pointing towards the tower (AFIS) and marked by single posts at each seaward end. The take-off run seemed to be similar to soft grass. I felt it was important to use the soft field techniques as the Rocket has a lot of weight on a small nose wheel.

No overnight parking may be the official line, but there is a slipway allowing the aircraft to be pushed/taxied off the beach and above the high water mark. Check when you PPR. There is no avgas.

The aircraft needed a good hose down afterwards and sand is still appearing in odd places.

I believe thatb the sand caused problems with retractable landing gear on the larger Loganairs (Shorts?), so Twin Otters are now used.

Barra was definitely the highlight of an excellent long weekend -- you'll love it, Whirly.

I also have a very distant memory of a pleasure flight in a five-seater biplane from Southport beach when I was about ten years old. It either cost half-a-crown or five shillings.

AA

Flap40
16th Jul 2003, 23:56
There is another strip approx 30nm north of Barra and 10nm north of Benbecula called Sollas.

On the half-mill' it appears to be on land but on the quarter-mill' it is shown as on the beach.

bingoboy
17th Jul 2003, 00:03
The airstrip on Southport beach is now closed (ever since the new sea wall caused the beach to grow some rather grotty grass) but i hear that some enlightened locals are seeking to re-instate it a bit further south.

The entire beach from Crosby up to nth Southport (hesketh bank) has been used at some time or other for nearly a 100 years but there are many soft sand patches which preclude use today without a thorough survey.

mad_jock
17th Jul 2003, 00:11
Barra is a great airport.

5mins walk over the dunes and your looking at the Atlantic.

If you go to the Barra flyin Oban have a power washer all set up so if you nip across for some fuel they will not only wash your plane down for you but also give you a jammy dodger and cup of tea while they do it.

MJ

QNH 1013
17th Jul 2003, 00:26
MJ, Can you tell me when the Barra fly-in is?

t'aint natural
17th Jul 2003, 02:06
I have relatives at Knott End, on Morecambe Bay just east of Fleetwood, who say the sands just to the north of them are regularly used by light aircraft - several times a year. They're called Preesall Sands, and I presume someone at Blackpool would be able to give you a heads-up. Apparently the only drawback is that the tide comes in very fast indeed.

mad_jock
17th Jul 2003, 22:10
Been looking for some details but can't find anything

If you give Paul Keegan a ring on 01631-710384.

He has his finger on the pulse of the West coast.

He also runs Oban so if you are worried about getting your plane washed down he might be able to help out.

MJ

Crossedcontrols
18th Jul 2003, 18:32
This has come up before, have a look atold beach thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67416)

Tell us how you get on and include piccies.

CC

Circuit Basher
18th Jul 2003, 20:18
Of course, the most famous beach landing of recent years has to be Chris Linton, whose exploits are related here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53902). Respect, man!

Maybe you wanted to land VFR??! ;) :D

* Edited 'coz I just remembered this is the thread where I said I would not mention Chris Linton!! http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/alles_moegliche/mixed-smiley-020.gif http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/alles_moegliche/mixed-smiley-009.gif
:O
I'd best run fast!
http://www.gamespy.com/avatars/av/AT/at64.gif

cblinton@blueyonder.
18th Jul 2003, 20:28
http://uk.geocities.com/gatsrsyndicate/images/beached1.jpg

Martinburney
18th Jul 2003, 21:04
Hi All

Having received some good response to the question of flyable beaches where
flying had taken place. I also looked at my database and came up with the
following.

Askernish ( Isle Of South Uist ), Berneray Beach ( Isle Of North Uist ),
Bridgend ( Isle Of Islay ), Blundell Sands ( Merseyside ), Brynmill Sands ( West
Glamorgan ), Camber Sands ( East Sussex ), Breachacha Sands ( Isle Of Coll ),
Etterick Bay ( Isle Of Bute ), Foryd ( Clwyd ), Freshfield ( Merseyside ),
Ganavan Sands ( Argyll ), Hesketh Park Sands ( Merseyside ), Maplin Sands ( Essex
), Middleton Sands ( Lancs ), New Brighton ( Clwyd ), Saltburn ( Cleveland ),
Slapton Sands ( Devon ), St Andrews ( Fife ), Wallasey Beach ( Merseyside ),
Weston Super Mare ( Avon ).

As far as I can see these have not been mentioned. The ones that were are :

Barra, Birkdale Sands ( Southport ), Brandon Bay ( Ireland ), Cleethorpes
Beach, Filey Sands, Morecambe Sands, Pendine Beach ( Pembrey ), Pilling Sands,
RAF Sollas

Regards Martin