PDA

View Full Version : vfr charts

BigEndBob
13th Jul 2003, 06:18
Why are the CAA so reluctant to print aerodrome frequencies next to the appropriate aerodrome.

The aerodrome symbol is surrounded with mostly useless information for most pilots.
4 pieces of information most useful to pilots; aerodrome frequency, elevation, length longest runway , last two letters of icao code.
Also small diagram of runway layout.

The information we are given i.e. aerodrome beacon is useful for 5% of the pilot population for 1% of the year!
Most are either switched off or obscured by aerodrome or street lighting.
The activity of a field may be gleaned from a quick courtesy call.
A better judgement of suitability of airfield.
Better recognition of runways within the overall context of an area.
Less stress trying to find information when under pressure.

Also frequencies of class 'D' airspace should be printed just inside their borders not at some obscure point.
This might alert pilots to the significance of the line and prevent infringements.

Oh, and why can't the reverse of the chart be printed with its neighbouring chart and save the embarrasement of falling off the edge of the world!

FormationFlyer
13th Jul 2003, 18:16
If by aero beacon you mean night flying then it isnt useful to us either. To be honest they might as well be scrapped....

a/d freq - change too often - its done (i am guessing) to help ensure pilots actually look these things up - You only need to look at the recent Brize LARS change and the gloucester/bristol change to realise how many pilots cant be bothered to ensure they have accurate information. Its just laziness. And what 'freqency' (i note the singular) would you like printed? - approach, tower, ground, radar, talkdown, director, VDF, handling agents - I suppose next you will want the station name and the type of service available - its amazing how many people call an a/g station on training flights from one or two london a/d ive noticed who ask for a flight information service - a sad reflection on their instructors i fear....

Longest runway length is irrelevent - length of rwy in use on the day - and do you mean LDA or TODA or LRA or TORA?!

Re: A/d plan & ICAO code - may I suggest you buy a 0.25 mil chart instead - its all on there....

Elevs *are* already on there...

Less stress?!?! Unless you divert then this *BASIC* planning should be done on the ground to start with - and even then you did plan and check the alternates anyway surely? anyway you have to check the NOTAMS for changes anyway.....

Which neighbouring chart? there are a number of possible here. I can see the issue if you are based on the edge between two charts though..

I do agree with you agout the zone frequencies.

BigEndBob
13th Jul 2003, 23:44
Look at any USA chart, they have most if not more information.
And i believe or use to be the case that frequencies cannot change until the new chart was published which was about four times per year on thin non laminated printed both sides paper, costing 1/2 to 1/3 our charts.
I think the Jepperson vfr uk charts have all this info. but i have only briefly seen one of these charts. Not widespread usage due to the different look of chart. most of us in UK brought up on the familier 1/2 mill chart.

Frequency-initial contact be it A/G,AFIS or APP
Elevation-For altimeter checks and to work out (if you want it) a QFE out of hours.
Longest runway- Single engine in a twin for example, might want to get down quick, might spot airfield on map with long enough runway for safe landing. Do you want to be fumbling through a AERAD or Pooleys to find a suitable airfield.
ICAO code-obvious.

Which chart to print on back...well the next UK 1/2 mill chart in the series of three.

Another_CFI
14th Jul 2003, 00:15
If you are using a Northern England chart which is the next in the series of three, Scotland or Southern England?

slim_slag
14th Jul 2003, 00:20
US Sectionals are published twice a year. Frequency changes can always be NOTAMed, but I think the FAA takes the pragmatic view that not everybody checks the NOTAMS and so will attempt to coordinate these changes with new chart releases. I think there is a current sectional (Kansas City???) which has been extended by NOTAM so the new chart shows some Class C airspace changes.

I realise it's something you might get used to, but UK charts seem very 'busy' compared to US ones. UK charts are obviously OS road maps with aeronautical information just slapped on top. I have no idea why the smallest lane is shown in such detail when relevant airport info isn't. Just copy the US and get on with it :)

FormationFlyer
14th Jul 2003, 04:12
Indeed - as I said all this requested stuff is already on the 0.25 mil charts - including the app freq info....everything except longest runway - which as I said is not practicle information in a 30kt wind.....

Re clutter - I think this explains why the UK charts 0.5 mil may not have this info on them

All those little yellow dots are pretty useless - as are a large number of little lanes and small watercourses - which are often hidden by trees on the banks anyway.....I reckon I could remove 20% of the clutter on the map and still not lose any 'wanted' important navigationally useful information.

BigEndBob
15th Jul 2003, 06:31
Southern chart would have northern on the back and vice versa, Scotland want independance.... let them print their own chart!
(I'm afraid we are stuck with Wales):p

28thJuly2001
17th Jul 2003, 02:05
GRRRRRR.... I resemble that remark.
28th,,

expedite_climb
17th Jul 2003, 15:26
I agree they are fine as they are, but..

Formation flyer.. its amazing how many people call an a/g station on training flights from one or two london a/d ive noticed who ask for a flight information service - a sad reflection on their instructors i fear....

Thats a bit harsh I think. Despite being taught students don't always get it right first (or second or third) time. Often, even after explaining what you are calling XXX (an a/g station) and what to request, when they get to their request, they ask for FIS.....

FormationFlyer
18th Jul 2003, 05:54
Fair comment = why is it students seem to think that the 'exact' words you tell them for the radio call are merely 'advisory' as opposed to what you *really* wanted*...

WestWind1950
20th Jul 2003, 00:16
German charts (1:500,000) show ICAO-Code (complete 4-letter, only last 2 is not smart since neighboring countries begin differently... ok, UK is an island ;) ), name of field, initial frequency, length of longest runway, plus small diagram of runway layout (clear for grass, solid for asphalt). Any further information is on the approach charts that you need to consult anyway!

The charts are only printed once a year and we need 8 to cover the whole country (expensive enough...).

Changes in frequency are put out in NOTAM or the every 14-day up-dated VFR-Bulletins (recieved automatically by any pilot with a subscription to the VFR-AIP).

I like our German charts. I flew to France 2 years ago and had the official French charts.. TERRIBLE!! horrible bright blue colors, poor quality. I'm glad we had some Jeppesen charts along as well! When I flew to England some years ago to visit the North Wield airshow, I think we only had the Jeppesen charts, can't remember now... guess I have to fly over again :D

WestWind1950