PDA

View Full Version : Taxi light operation.

zekeigo
13th Jul 2003, 06:08
Does anyone know if is there any document saying something about the use of “Taxi Light” on big jets while taxiing on crowded airports, where the movement of cars and trucks are affected by the aircrafts.
I noticed that during heavy traffic at some airports, some aircrafts stop just before an intersection used by cars and trucks, and cars stand still because the pilot doesn’t turn off the taxi lights, sometimes causing a big traffic jam if the aircraft stays there for long time.
I think that the taxi light must be turned on whenever the aircraft is moving, and must be turned off whenever the aircraft is not moving.
Thanks for any help.
:confused:

slingsby
13th Jul 2003, 15:56
I don't know which airport you are referring to when the aircraft stops for an intersection, but all the airports I have operated into have a policy of all ground vehicles have to give way to all aircraft at all times. Taxi lights should be on at all times on the ground (company sop). If you see an aircraft taxi towards you, anti-col lights on and he stops near your crossing point, don't assume he's letting you cross (unless airfield crossing point is light controlled) he may well be waiting for an obstruction or another aircraft to clear ahead of him.

We had one amusing 'close encounter' with a catering truck in DXB, he actually overtook us on the roadway adjacent the taxiway, and then even indicated to us, pulled out into the taxiway about 50metres ahead of us, crossed over, and continued on his way on the other side. Both of us were left speechless, we called the tower and informed him of the erractic driving, he said he saw nothing and not to worry. When we got to the end of the parking stands, there now attaching itself to another aircraft was the offending truck. We slowed to take some details, also informing the tower that we had found him again. The driver actually had the gaul to wave at us, and carried on about his business. That was the last we heard or saw of this.
Now I keep a closer watch on all traffic, aircraft and catering trucks...
:p

zekeigo
13th Jul 2003, 22:32
Thanks slingsby,
I had that experience at LAX and Seoul, and I agree with you that the best thing to do is to be aware of all this traffic.
I’ve been looking at the part of Jeppesen, " lights to be displayed by aircraft", and they don’t say anything about the use of the taxi light on the maneuvering areas, or on the areas involving cars and trucks.

:hmm:

Tan
13th Jul 2003, 22:59
zekeigo

Your quote:

"I think that the taxi light must be turned on whenever the aircraft is moving, and must be turned off whenever the aircraft is not moving."

I can't remember where, or even if it is written down somewhere but that's the practice that I have always followed. It's just good airmanship to turn off your taxi lights when you're not moving. At night if I feel the situation warrens it I will turn on the over wing lights if I'm stopped to better illuminate my position for other aircraft.

There's always some fool that leaves all his lights on when stopped and blinds the other traffic but I digress...

planecrazi
14th Jul 2003, 00:46
On ours, A340 ops, Company, taxi light on when moving and off when stopped.
I heard on CDG ATIS the other day, two weeks ago, about them saying "taxi light on when taxying"

Our landing lights comes on thru 10 000 ft agl and the rest, taxi +runway turn off lights come on once cleared to land. As the swithches have been moved to on, this also signals to the crew, as a reminder, that the aircraft has confirmed clearance to land.;)