PDA

View Full Version : Question about IFR flights into Manchester/Woodford?

smithgd
12th Jul 2003, 04:56
Hi

I need some advise please.

I am trying to plan a flight from Rochester to Manchester, however I am unsure as to how to fly it. VFR is simple to plan, however I would like to fly IFR using my IMC rating. The problem I have is when I get to Manchester!

As I understand it I can fly an approach into a Class D airport on my PPL/IMC, however looking at the approach plates for Manchester all the procedures involve an IAF at 3500....this is inside Class A airspace...therefore something I can't do!

What I want to know is...can I plan/fly IFR from Roch to the Congleton entry lane and then fly VFR along the lane to land? How does that get put on the flight plan form? Or could I get a radar vectored ILS without going above 3500ft??

TIA
smithgd

Pilot Paul
12th Jul 2003, 22:00
I think you will find Woodford is restricted to BAe Systems aircraft only...check the AIP for the latest info. If you are thinking of flying into Manchester itself then all IAP's begin at 3000' so there shouldn't be a problem with class A airspace. However, you will still need an IFR clearance to enter the CTR - again the AIP has details.

Don't forget that you will also need a handling agent - Northern Executive Aviation is probably your best bet, since they also manage access to the new grass GA parking area - details in Pooleys...

Finally it's probably best asking yourself if your instrument flying is up to speed if you plan to undertake a flight such as this under IFR in real IMC...the IMC rating by itself doesn't really give you enough experience to undertake a flight such as you describe safely...you may be better off taking an instructor along for company!

Best of luck...

Paul

[Edit]

Oops just noticed from your profle that you in fact work for BAe Systems so I guess that is OK! I would think a RV ILS is your best bet, but I would have a chat with the Woodford controllers beforehand and ask what the procedure is for IFR arrivals not on airways if you need to go procedural...