PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Rescue Aviation Experts

Zlin526
12th Jul 2003, 04:36
I see the Ogwen Mountain Rescue chaps are experts in predicting the 'increase in small private flying' as well...

There are not many plane crashes in Snowdonia - the Ogwen Valley mountain rescue team estimates such accidents happen about once every seven years. But Roger Jones, one of the team leaders, believes that they could become more common.

"Small private flying is becoming more and more popular, so I presume the chances of incidents will increase," he said.

Top marks for rescuing Mr Lovatt, but "Nil points" for selling the journo's a scare story.

sugarbird
12th Jul 2003, 18:12
The comments made by Roger Jones were only reported by the BBC, the other media made no mention of the likelihood of more accidents.

Recently the OVMR released a statement suggesting the proliferation of mobile phones by walkers, climbers and other hill users was leading to more call outs i.e. it was easier to call for help and more were doing so. It was said that MRTs in NOrth Wales had been already been called out more times this year than in the whole of last year.

Treat these words with a pinch of salt

The injured pilot is reported as being in a "serious but stable" condition in hospital. Pictures of the crash site show the aircraft fuselage to be relatively intact.