PDA

View Full Version : Step Climbs??

The Flying Lamb
29th Dec 2000, 07:48
Unsure wether this is the correct forum but here goes......
Basically I am after a general opinion from all you experienced flight deck. When flying over the Atlantic for example, would it be fair to say that you are given the fl's planned for an economic step climb, or do you generally get stuffed at one level across thus potentially burning more fuel???
Your comments appreciated.

HPSOV
29th Dec 2000, 09:21
Depends entirely on where you fly, and what time of the day you do it!
My experience is mainly in Asia which is mostly quite good. HongKong-Singapore is a route that you will often be held down on. For example you flight plan FL370, but are held down at FL290 for the whole flight. A lot of this is due not to other aircraft on your route, but aircraft on routes which cross yours.
A big part of the cruise can sometimes be monitoring other traffic and knowing who is blocking your level. Once they get a climb or turn off the route you jump on the radio and request their level before someone else does!
It may sometimes even be benificial to slow down for a while to get the required separation to climb up behind another aircraft. Might cost you a few minutes but it could save you a lot of fuel.

Royan
29th Dec 2000, 12:55
It's o.k to have that , but you can always ask for a brief summery to compare the trip fuel at other levels , and then ask for the fuel figure you think is good for that day conditions .
A good planning will reduce the element of surprise

[This message has been edited by Royan (edited 29 December 2000).]

static
29th Dec 2000, 14:00
To get back to the original question, in my experience you`re stuck at the level you got in your Oceanic Clearance for the whole crossing. Especially when the tracks are more to the south, when there`s no VHF contact possible with either Gander Radio or Iceland Radio. When there`s only HF contact the coordination simply seems to take too long.
Hope this helps.

mabrodb
31st Dec 2000, 07:45
I'd say the norm (80%) is to _NOT_ get the requested step climb in the mid-Atlantic.

I've seen YQX and Shanwick give step-ups just prior to exiting the tracks, once in radar range.

I'd say it would be better to plan at one FL across the NATs.

You may also be able to get your "better" Opt/max altitude on the next abeam track. This can usually keep the burn closer to what was planned.

Marc

BOING
31st Dec 2000, 08:23
Oftentimes it is a real free-for-all as aircraft try to get the optimum flight levels. Leaving Japanese airspace eastbound across the Pacific all the evening's traffic bound for the US from various Asian nations seems to converge at a point off the east coast of Japan. The first aircraft to the chosen flight levels wins. What this means is that some aircraft climb too high too early to ensure they will evenually be at their optimum flight level. If you get stuck behind and below one of these types it can take hours before you can climb to your planned flight level. It can murder your fuel planning.

------------------

DCDriver
31st Dec 2000, 21:11
Back to the NAT...
if random tracking and crossing the NAT OTS enroute,its rare to get your optimum level as the OTS has priority. This is normally allowed for in the fuel planning.
If you have to transit the Santa Maria OCA (eg) UK to Caribbean, its even rarer to get a step climb unless its the controller's birthday when I believe they might let you up before reaching the NY OCA at 40 west!