PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of brockenspectres pleas!

brockenspectre
10th Jul 2003, 05:14
As y'all know I love brockenspectres so much I chose their name as my proon "handle" ... AngleAndAttack took the following pic and very kindly sent it to me because, up to now, whenever i have seen my circular rainbows (or been about to fly through one) I haven't had a camera to hand.

Please would anyone else who has a pic of a brockenspectre post it here? Also tell all your pals on the commercial side as they are more likely to be getting great pics on a daily basis!

Thanks!! and Tack sa mycket to A&A
:ok:

http://members.aol.com/karma21094/brock1.jpg

Brockenspectre – a definition

This is also called a glory. Aircraft are one place to spot glory. The most common sightings are on mountaintops. In fact, that's where it was first reported. The mountain is in Germany and it's called The Brocken. There, glory earned the name brockenspectre.

In the early 1800s, mountaineers climbed through a combination of fog and sunlight. They thought they saw images of God warning them to climb no further. These apparitions to be nothing more than sunlight reflected through tiny cloud droplets. The droplets act as prisms, much like they do in rainbows.
Glory appears as a full circle, not as an arc like a rainbow. It is only visible when sunlight is at the observer's back. The shadow produced falls on a cloud and appears to be surrounded by a halo. When the sun is high, an airplane offers the best view point because the plane's shadow and the clouds are directly below. In the low-angled sunlight near dawn and dusk, the shadow of a hiker can project onto a nearby cloud. This creates what looks like a halloed companion.

Genghis the Engineer
10th Jul 2003, 06:01
I once saw a truly stunning haloed image of my aeroplane just as I flew through a very small cloud with the sun on my back. It was incredibly brief: 2-3 seconds at most and I've never seen the conditions again. Presumably you could go hunting for perfect conditions and get photographs but it must be very hard to achieve deliberately.

But I do hope that somebody has.

G

loglickychops
10th Jul 2003, 06:40
First time I saw one was over the channel during the eclipse of a few years back. I thought it must have been to do with that, but have since realised it's not dependant on such occurences. It's a wonderful thing.

chrisN
10th Jul 2003, 08:39
It is not at all difficult to see a glory nor tricky to photograph one. They are visible every time you can get your shadow on a cloud, i.e. every time you fly between the sun and the side of a cloud.

The attached Pictures (I hope this works!) were taken at two different distances (fixed camera attached to glider canopy, glider wingtip visible in top left corner of frames).

Glory4

Oops! It appears that my attempt to post piccies failed - if it's worth doing, how do I do that?

Genghis the Engineer
10th Jul 2003, 15:28
Change the below to square brackets, and you're there...

(IMG)full_url_for_image_file_anywhere_on_the_web.jpg(/IMG)

If you've no website to post images onto so that they can be displayed, I can recommend (what I use) a free service at www.photobox.co.uk (go to my profile for an example of one of their free personal albums - which some helpful PPruner has graded 1/10!).

Best results are jpeg files set to around 50-70% compression using image sizes no bigger than 640x480.

G

long final
10th Jul 2003, 15:45
On a trip back from Perranporth.

http://www.thebarlick.com/f92.jpg

Hope it worked

LF

Kolibear
10th Jul 2003, 18:58
I've got a photo of Brockenspectre, but as it was taken at the last Gatbash, you might not want me to post it.

Unless I get a decent enough offer of course...:)

brockenspectre
11th Jul 2003, 02:21
Hi Kolibear hmmmmmmmmmmm does this mean you will be putting up some Gatbash pics in the Bashes forum?? :D

Mike Cross
11th Jul 2003, 04:18
Ein klein brockenspectre fur dich Jo
http://www.pilotlist.org/cliches/octobre2002/halo.jpg

Mike