PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit Visits

paulhn
10th Jul 2003, 00:03
Hi,
I would be interested to hear some pilots views on cockpit visits. When going on holiday as a child getting a peek at the flight deck would be the highlight of the whole fortnight for me. I understand that with the world in its current state most if not all airlines have outlawed non-staff from the cockpit, but as the PIC/FO, what would be your views?
Thanks for any replies
Paul

Jetdriver
10th Jul 2003, 08:52
Paulhn,

Airlines are complying with the rules imposed by their national governmental authorities. As such Pilots have no choice in the matter. If you do a search on flightdeck visits you will find many views from many forums.

paulhn
10th Jul 2003, 18:43
Ah, I see what you mean:O
Thanks for the advice Jetdriver

Three Mile Final
10th Jul 2003, 19:00
I wonder if the ban will ever be lifted. ????

As a PPL it always broke the boredom a little to see the bigger boys toys - and a flightdeck landing was always something to be requested and cherished if it was granted.

Last one I got was at Tenerife in August 2001 ...... I have this horrible suspicion it was my last ever as well.

:(

Irishwingz
10th Jul 2003, 19:14
I posted a thread on this some months back. The best you'll get is a visit after landing when the pax are leaving. Its not the same obviously. I was in Rome last week and had a chat to the F/O on an Aer Lingus 734. I think I'd kill for a cockpit landing - though dont tell anyone I said that!

CaptainSquelch
11th Jul 2003, 04:00
Irishwingz,

I'm not sure if that would improve your chances :cool:

Sq

slingsby
11th Jul 2003, 15:44
We always enjoyed visits from SLF, especially PPLs who at least knew something about the pointy end. Generally, it was kids and dads up for the lights and the view. I miss them all, maybe one day they'll lighten up but I don't think so.

We did however once allow a video camera from a pax, we took it off him, videod the front end with some good sunrise shots, and various intruments (refrained from anything secure or what we were reading .... ) gave it back, and he was absolutely delighted. Gave him a visit post shutdown, and he was as enthusiastic as ever.

Flip Flop Flyer
11th Jul 2003, 17:04
Flew with Austrian not too long ago on a fairly longish flight, and having read through Time and Newsweek was getting boooored.

Was sat in the first row, so when all was quite went to the loo (which is forward of the curtain to the galley) and after finishing the business (did remember to wash my hands :D ) flashed by airline badge to the kind hostie and politely asked if a cockpit visit might be granted. It was.

However, doesn't always work and I expect it isn't quite according to the rules. In my experience it's basically depending on the skipper of the day. However, without proper airline credentials it is virtually impossible. Obviously, if your airline ID indicates you're flying crew in one or another capacity that will increase your chances .......

Herod
11th Jul 2003, 19:49
No it wonīt, so all those people thinking of faking IDs and sneaking via the gally/toilet can forget it. Itīs sad, I miss people coming up, but itīs a different world now, and we just have to live with it.

Dozza2k
12th Jul 2003, 04:24
once went up for a chat to the qf crew of a 767 from perth to singapore, they gave me some great advice with regard for careers. This was long before i discovered PPrune, but as a 16 it made my holiday.......hopefully it'll happen again