PDA

View Full Version : High Vis jackets

Coriolis The Crab
10th Jul 2003, 00:02
I have recently been shocked to note several pilots failing to wear appropriate clothing whilst perambulating air side! This, in spite of the easy availability of high visibility equipment! Surely everyone can see the stupidity of mixing people with propellers? This is a high risk environment and should be treated as such! I can only hope that someone brings this appallingly lax situation to the attention of the authroities, so that the CAA can ask the governement to pass a suitable law.

This is an accident waiting to happen.

MLS-12D
10th Jul 2003, 00:31
Better yet, let's lobby the authorities to prohibit all forms of private aviation. There is no reasonable justification for allowing rich, reckless playboys to jeopardize public safety!!! Perhaps this may mean that thousands of people are deprived of innocent recreational pleasure, but if even one life is saved, it will be worth it! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A and C
10th Jul 2003, 00:32
And next wrap us in cotton wool and put a strobe on every ones head..........and then make every one use dark protective glasses in case of eye damage from the bright strobe lights.

When ever is this safety sh1t going to stop !!!!!! , the greatest aid to safety is common sence if you think that a dayglo jacket will save you from a driver who is not looking forget it.

I worked on the ramp at LHR for over ten years without the dayglo thing and not a problem.
When the health and safety numpteys finaly forced me to put on one of the stupid things the very first time I wore the thing I was almost run down by a van at 0600 in day light at Jersey !!!!.

On a dark rainy night I can see the use for these things but on a bright summers day they are a waist of time and money .

MLS-12D
10th Jul 2003, 00:37
A and C,

Keep your (non-dayglo) shirt on ... he's just trolling for an argument, don't waste your time and energy rising to the bait. ;)

Regards,

MLS-12D

High Wing Drifter
10th Jul 2003, 01:04
Sniff, sniff. Something fishy?

:D

Sink Rate
10th Jul 2003, 01:38
This is no laughing matter.

My aeroplane happens to be painted black, a choice I believe Coriolis himself made.

This may be all well and fine for the RAF whom after years of study have found it to be the most visable colour in the air, but what about the poor pedestrian?

Not many of them at 2000 feet in the aerobatic box are there.

The greater hazard is on the ground and as such I shall be compling with all EU/EC/UK/JAA/CAA directives and painting my plane a nice shade of radioactive yellow with pink stripes

And I shall be fitting the pitot tube with a cork on the end, just in case someone is fool enough not to be wering protective eyewear whilst airside.

White Knight
10th Jul 2003, 02:26
Corriolis - you utter drivel sir:p :p

flyingfemme
10th Jul 2003, 03:35
But aren't you in the wrong thread?

Coriolis The Crab
10th Jul 2003, 03:42
I fear that you chaps are failing to treat this issue with the seriousness it deserves. Are you the kind of flippant fools who would make their aeroplane go upside down, risking the famed 'dive of death', with little thought for those beneath? Cads!

My quest for a deeper understanding of high vis issues had lead me to ponder the question of standards.

Is there an EU standard for tabards? Why is the full specification not more readily accessible to those amongst us who hold a deep concern for safety issues? Should I, for example, purchase a sub-standard tabard from a disreputable trader, how would I know? Surely a publication is called for listing the important features I should look out for when shopping for flight safety items.

Can anyone help, or must I turn to the BBC's most excellent 'Watchdog' programme for advice?

Yours, Coriolis xx

MLS-12D
10th Jul 2003, 04:26
Keep going, you're killing me!:p
Can anyone help, or must I turn to the BBC's most excellent 'Watchdog' programme for advice?Respectfully suggest that you consult an alienist for professional advice!;)

max roll rate
10th Jul 2003, 05:24
Um I have worked on airfield ramps for over 20 years I recon hi vis jackets are a waste of time all they do is attract flies and midges , if you spend your time looking out the window for hi vis jackets chances are that you will miss the 1 person without 1 !!!,
we all know that our playground has dangers but if care is taken by us all there is no reason for any nasty’s to happen .

MLS-12D
10th Jul 2003, 07:24
This topic has already been debated (in a more serious manner) here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90164&highlight=vest), here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42953&highlight=vest) and here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42961&highlight=vest).

Coriolis is just trolling ...

Pomme Sauvage
10th Jul 2003, 07:34
Coriolis,

It's all too much, far too much.

First we introduce ear defenders to protect those working or operating on the apron......... and then we make them wear one because we have taken away one of their senses.

At the "larger airfields" we insist on tabards and then again at smaller airfields we see people swinging all sorts of things from cubs to dodgy 3 bladed prop numbers; and some of those with geared props if you don't mind.

What's it all about really!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answers please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keef
10th Jul 2003, 07:53
I've got a very elegant black lo-vis jacket.

It seems to get me far more attention than the yellow thing I keep in the luggage bay for those rare occasions...

I think there's a rudimentary colour code - yellow seems to be aviation, orange railway, but that's as far as I've got. We could make life so much brighter by having a full spectrum of hi-viz colours for different purposes.

Er ... this is Jet Blast, innit?

100LL
10th Jul 2003, 08:43
Coriolis,

If you cant see anyone walkin on the ramp without a high vis jacket then maybe you should get your eyes checked before you fly another aircraft.

vintage ATCO
10th Jul 2003, 15:45
OK, I'll bite . . . . .

For the terminally bored, the British Standard for hi-vis clothing is EN471, and there are three classes!!! Known as, er, Class 1, 2 and 3.

Personally, I think the ones with tabs for epaulettes are the best :rolleyes:

FlyingForFun
10th Jul 2003, 16:09
Nice one Coriolis - this thread is the best laugh I've had in the Private Flying forum for ages!!!

As for hi-vis jackets, just ask AerBabe to show you her string vest next time you see her :eek:

FFF
-----------

Coriolis The Crab
10th Jul 2003, 16:15
Thank you for all your most constructive responses.

Coriolis will now scuttle off sideways back under hs rock.

But fear not, The Crab will return to expose and confront the REAL issues, and to explore and seek the truth.

Toodle-oo!

GK430
10th Jul 2003, 16:23
coriolis
Don't forget your Ray Bans next time you come out from under your rock. Check the rule book too - you made need bright yellow trousers by then too:cool:

Grob Driver
10th Jul 2003, 16:37
I tend to work in some potentially very dangerous places every day, and routinely have to wear a ‘high viz’ jacket… But At the moment I’m refusing to… Why. Because they attract millions of those bl00dy little fly’s. Those fly’s become at distraction as I’m wafting my hands all over he place trying to get rid of the little ******s! This takes my eyes off the job, and makes me les conscious of my surrounding environment. So, while they are great on a cold grey day, I think they are potentially more of a hazard on bright sunny days… you know… The days when we all like to go flying!

Coriolis, may I suggest that you stay under which ever rock you choose to hide behind! I’m all for improving safety but at what cost? Ear defenders are great, only you cant hear the aircraft that’s just about to run you over! High Viz… there’s a time and a place!

Oh Keef… it’s only orange on railways for maintenance / routine work. This tells the driver of the train, that it’s not an emergency, and he can continue… Walk on to a track wearing yellow, and the driver will stick the anchors on pretty ‘pronto tonto’…. It’s means there’s an emergency! (and no, I’m not a railway worker!)

Cheers,

Grob Driver

VFR800
10th Jul 2003, 17:17
Jolly good wheeze, for a minute I thought you were serious! They make you were the darn things at Kemble, if there are no jackets available in the club, someone with a jacket has to walk you to your a/c !

I mean, really ! ! :cool:

LowNSlow
10th Jul 2003, 21:14
I hope Kemble are going to waive that daft rule for the PFA Rally. Can you imagined thousands of PFA'ers all walking around in revolting, eye searing, midgie attracting tabards. Hysterical :ooh:

Unfortunately I won't be there to see this wonderous sight.... :(

Northern Highflyer
10th Jul 2003, 22:26
Ear defenders to protect the ears from engine noise and dark glasses to protect the eyes from bright strobes. I will try that this weekend and see if I can get across the apron without incident. :}

Was nice knowing you all.

Maybe they should also make them out of lead to prevent the wearer being sucked into a jet or being trashed by a prop. :E

Twas a great post coriolis :ok:

BRL
11th Jul 2003, 01:37
Good entertaining thread Crabster...... ;) I am in two minds whether to send it upstairs to JetBlast....
Oh Keef… it’s only orange on railways for maintenance / routine work. This tells the driver of the train, that it’s not an emergency, and he can continue… Walk on to a track wearing yellow, and the driver will stick the anchors on pretty ‘pronto tonto’…. It’s means there’s an emergency! (and no, I’m not a railway worker!)
I beg to differ......... :}

Grob Driver
11th Jul 2003, 03:03
Northern Highflyer…. Please make sure that you’re wearing your high Viz jacket when you get hit so that we call all see from near and far!

Big Red L…. My childhood dreams of being a train driver are long gone!…Honest!