PDA

View Full Version : First time Lelystad to Sonderberg

dnieuwenhuis
9th Jul 2003, 14:10
Next Sunday we have the intention to fly on our PPL our first "big" VFR international flight from Lelystad(EHLE) to Sonderberg (EKSB). Does anybody have any hints or tips or experiences with the Danish airspace and particular Sonderberg. Please share them with me.

Thanks,
Diederik

Aussie Andy
9th Jul 2003, 16:39
G'day dnieuwenhuis: I can't comment on Denmark directly... but I did make a recent VFR flight through France, Belgium and Holland to Germany which was originally intended to go on to Denmark (thwarted by weather). It was pretty seamless transferring between the various jurisdictions - as long as you have a flt plan filed.

I understand from talking to Dutch pilots I have met that your PPL training includes "foreign" cross country navigation exercises into Germany, so you'll be familiar with the procedures. My assumptiopn would be that you wouldn't notice a significant difference continuing into Denmark.

Good luck with the trip... and next time, head over to Britain!

Andy ;)

Miserlou
10th Jul 2003, 18:07
Sonderborg is just a small provincial airport. It's not very busy, though there are scheduled ATR flights to Copenhagen (Cimber Air has it's HQ there). There is also a corporate jet charter outfit and a single flying school.
The food at the restaurant is OK.

The Danish ATC are well spoken and helpful.

But why Sonderborg?

You could go a little further up to Billund, Legoland is walking distance from the airport or to Stauning where there is a nice museum on site.

Have a nice flight.

Mark 1
10th Jul 2003, 20:22
Denmark has a very nice site for AIS, nav warnings etc.

Try these:
http://www.slv.dk/Publikationer/AIS_Publikationer/VFG/Indholdsfortegnelse.htm
http://www.ftk.dk/milais/images/Navwar/2003-07-10.jpg

Avgas is about 6Kr (1 Euro) / litre

Lelystadt is a nice field, but watch out for meat-bombing

Sylt area can be quite busy.
Fresian Islands have quite a few nice fields. For a taste of the old British Empire you may like to visit Helgoland, about 400m and PPR essential.

Miserlou
13th Jul 2003, 21:17
The weather's lovely. How did it go?

dnieuwenhuis
14th Jul 2003, 14:00
We are going next sunday 20 july. So hopefully the weather will also be good. Today we are going to Stadtlohn/Vreden. Just at the other side of the Dutch FIR.

Diederik

Miserlou
14th Jul 2003, 21:16
Stadtlohn. I remember that from my para-pilot days (5 years ago).

I was also at Spieka, the grass strip beside Nordholz. It is a civil strip though you have to talk to Nordholz to get in.

Their hospiltality was first rate. I was stuck there overnight and got put up by one of the Nordholz ATC chaps who also does the bar.
Turned out the aircraft stayed for ten days!!!

Have a nice trip next week!