PDA

View Full Version : Flying Under bridges in the UK - Part 2

Tartan Giant
8th Jul 2003, 20:18
The Law is an Ass.

Please excuse this additional ‘post’ as it refers to a previously moved one – but I feel there is a very important issue of Aviation Law to be cleared up as related to the ANO in mainland UK.

This ‘posting’ is to share my misunderstandings, and CAA’s expertise, of how breaches of the ANO, alleged or otherwise, are investigated and dealt with in different “countries” in the UK.

Many of you will have read the initial exchanges regarding the idiot/s (the CAA could not tell me if both aircraft had in fact flown under the bridge, so I have to cover singular and plural by mentioning ‘idiot/s’) who flew UNDER the Ballachulish Bridge, in Scotland last week.

Many of you, like me, were probably under the impression that the CAA had a legal jurisdiction to immediately commence proceedings against these Spanish clowns for their obvious and blatant breach of the ANO acted out in Scotland.
In an exchange of emails the CAA mentioned to me Rule 5(1)(e) Rules of the Air Regulations and a possible endangering offence under Article 64 Air Navigation Order.

Many of you might have wondered why the CAA stood back and watched the police merely issue a “warning” to the PIC/s (?) involved and not take ANY action themselves.
The reason was, “the Authority has NO POWERS of prosecution in Scotland, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.
As one commentator paraphrased, so I can take a Warrior to Scotland and play silly-b*g*ers and the CAA can’t touch me. Quite !
The CAA wishes to point out, “the CAA is not a prosecuting authority in Scotland, however, the Air Navigation Order and its associated Regulations apply and are enforced through the Scottish courts.

The CAA also wish to make it perfectly clear that,
“offences committed under the ANO are criminal offences wherever they may be committed where UK law is in force. The only difference between the various constituent parts of the UK is the route by which those offences are brought before the courts."

My utter dismay in these matters is founded on the fact that the CAA and the police have been so very, very lax and totally forgiving in this “criminal” act merely because it happened in Scotland and it was not a UK Licence holder.

You can imagine the grief you would have suffered had you flown your little single-engined flying machine under some bridge in England or Wales !

I have a note from the CAA saying,
“The Northern Constabulary have been asked to pass case papers to my office so that they can be forwarded to the Spanish CAA for possible action."

If the Spanish can steal and plunder our fishing grounds, take the catches back to Spain and when we complain to the Spanish and the EU, we are fined by the EU !
So this little piece of CAA news gives me little confidence anything will happen to these jokers.

That a “criminal offence” has been committed in Scotland and the culprit/s escape with a warning ties in well with this dumb, lame, and arrogant Noo Labour government in its ineptitude at letting off these B727 high-jackers Scot-Free.

On both counts, I am dismayed at the pathetic leniency.
You get collared for "speeding" but not breaching the ANO !! Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime ?

Ref : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3043308.stm

CAA spokesman said: "We are aware of the incident and it is being dealt with by the police."

TG

MerchantVenturer
8th Jul 2003, 23:27
Do you think the CAA would have prosecuted if it had jurisdiction in Scotland?

According to the press report I read, admittedly a fairly brief one, the decision to caution was taken after the Police consulted with both the CAA and the Procurator Fiscal.

There is no suggestion that pilots cannot be prosecuted in Scotland for contravening the ANO: it is just that the CAA is not the prosecuting authority.

Of course it is not only in the field of aviation that criminal offences are prosecuted in Scotland in a different manner to those committed in England and Wales.

unwiseowl
9th Jul 2003, 00:09
It's hardly the crime of the century, is it?

slim_slag
9th Jul 2003, 00:32
Sounds like the solution to ensure everybody is treated the same is to remove CAA prosecuting authority from England and Wales. Let the CAA enforce their regulations in the civil arena, and if it's serious enough to get a criminal record let the CPS/Police decide. I trust the police to make that decision more than I do the CAA. That way that guy who accidently flew through the closed off airspace over Eastbourne would not be stuck with a criminal record when a civil penalty might have been more appropriate.

Bright-Ling
9th Jul 2003, 00:34
Crime of the century...? Probably not.

Let's hope though that this isn't the start of something which then leads to innocent people getting hurt or killed.

OK - so it was a bit of fun and pretty good flying - but it is still a crime. Just odd that Scottish Law con't be bothered to prosecute.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Jul 2003, 01:17
I was an expert witness once in a prosecution for illegal flying in Scotland.

The prosecuting authority was the Stirling Procurator Fiscal, CAA were called as witnesses (as was I). The judge was called a Sherriff and it took a week in front of a jury of his peers.

Frankly, I think the CAA would have made a better job of it but he did get prosecuted and convicted in a court of law. (Actually he managed to get off the illegal flying on a technicality but was convicted of the offence of "public endangerment" which I don't think exists in English law but was very appropriate to the occasion.)

G

High Wing Drifter
9th Jul 2003, 15:57
Problem is, morally, it is not a crime. Only legally. Most think it an act of derring-do and probably quite exciting. Doing 60 in a 30 in yer car is seen as socially irresponsible by most of the public. The act is quite clearly extremely dangerous and contrary to the safety culture that aviation generally engenders. Not to mention what the anti-aviation lobby can do with it. The other problem is...we all want a go!

I have an alternative plan: Skateboarders and BMXers in my area have ramps and tracks built for them by the council. Why not have the CAA build special bridges for us to fly under. Ones that nobody else is to use. The safety argument is a non-starter as those skateboarders and BMXers hurt themselves all the time. Some of them don't even wear protective clothing!

:p