PDA

View Full Version : Airfield / Hotel / Island Info for Anniversary

QNH 1013
8th Jul 2003, 04:32
Its our 30th wedding anniversary on 25th of this month and we are taking a few days off to have a break and possibly even celebrate.
I'm after info for the Scilly Isles (St Mary's) and the Hebrides (various islands). I've never visited either destination and neither has Mrs QNH.
Current idea is to plan for both destinations (north and south) and then fly on the morning of the 24th to where the weather looks best for the following 3 days.
The problem is, since we've not been to either place (that is part of the attraction too) we have no idea of places to stay or things that we shouldn't miss.
I would therefore like to draw on the vast experience of fellow ppruners and ask for any recommendations from those who have visited these places. We are also receptive to other suggested destinations.
We're hiring an Arrow to allow an IFR return if necessary because Mrs QNH must be back at work on Monday 28th, so short farm strips are out.
Our needs are modest; we like walking, interesting geology, good evening meals, pint of beer, clean bedding + en-suite, that sort of thing.
Alderney was another thought, so any accomodation tips for there would be appreciated also.
I've just realised there's only two weeks to go....help !

Gertrude the Wombat
8th Jul 2003, 05:13
Both Alderney and St Marys are fun places to fly into, although I've only done both as a pax.

In the Scillies the place to stay is probably the Hotel St Martins on St Martins, which gets you a boat ride.

On Alderney the place to stay is Fort Clonque, but you need a party of more than two and booking a year or two ahead is a good idea, so that's probably out for this trip. If it's still there, and still doing what it did twenty years ago, the First and Last is the place to eat.

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
8th Jul 2003, 05:32
If either of you like a drop of malt, then the Lochside Hotel on Islay is well worth a visit; the owner organises distillery visits. Scenery is spectacular, so should suit walkers.

Logan flew me in, so I've no idea how it would suit a PF.

Hope this helps :)

Sir George Cayley
8th Jul 2003, 06:32
I can't speak highly enough of the Scillies. I prefer to stay on St Mary's and catch boats to the outer islands.

But if you prefer to be away from it all completely then St Martins or Tresco both have 5 * hotels.

Sea Fog though can be a bit tiresome especially if you dont have time to spare.

Which ever destination you pick have a great time and congratulations -30 years eh ! Not many stay the course that long these days.

Sir George Cayley

The air is a navigable ocean that laps at everyones door

RodgerF
8th Jul 2003, 17:15
Been to both the Scillies and Alderney. If you go to the Scillies make sure you visit the gardens on Tresco. Wonderful sub-tropical plants.

There is an NDB procedure if you require it. But the airfield doesn't open on Sundays.

If you go to Alderney there is a nice hotel run by a pilot? certainly someone interested in aviation. The Rose and Crown. Things might have changed but you get the TAFs at breakfast on the morning of departure, they also Fax your FPL to Guernsey for you.

Congrats on 30 yrs

RF

gasax
8th Jul 2003, 19:55
Going north your obvious options would be Gigha, Glenforsa on Mull or on the mainland Oban (only fuel in the northern area) or Plockton (which may be a little tight for an Arrow). Oban is the least scenic but the others all have good hotels within walking distance.

Islay is a little bleak and large to get around, ditto Skye - although if this is a no expenses barred weekend there is alway the Three Chimneys one of the 10 finest resturants in the world!!!

Have a good one

Ringway Flyer
9th Jul 2003, 05:29
If you go North, Oban is a must - the most friendly & civilised airfield in the UK - where else are you offered tea and biscuits when you arrive? And plenty of nice places in Oban to stay. Try Dungallan House, loads of Sunderland Flying Boat history. And the little museum in the town.
Barra is interesting too - when the tide's out and Glenforsa's worth a visit, another friendly reception.

turnoffthepapis
9th Jul 2003, 06:25
You simply must fly into perranporth and walk 5 mins from airfield. try St. Georges country hotel. Its the most beautifull place that have everything you need at good prices, a bar and excellant food. www.stgeorgescountryhotel.com ask for Rob or Nick. You will be glad you stayed there!!!:ok:

QNH 1013
10th Jul 2003, 03:35
Thanks for all the suggestions, valuable info, and the good wishes. Any more destinations or info?
TOTP We had thought about Perranporth but we've been there (had an absolutely great weekend) and I thought we should try something new, and not on the mainland.
Mark and Sally

C172Navigator
10th Jul 2003, 03:54
Why not do the Black Bottle Challenge whilst you are up here in the land of Jock? Visit Oban, Islay, Campbeltown and Tiree in any order, so long as you visit Islay last, within 24 hours, and get a free bottle of whiskey. I did it last year and was good fun, but the Tiree, Cambeltown and Islay opening times are a bit funny, so you'll need to time it right. Give Highlands and Islands Airports a call on 01667 462445 to check it's running the scheme this year and get a form. You need this signed at each stop, then hand it over at Islay in return for the liqour. Glenforsa is a nice stop, just west of Oban. If you're up for a bit of gliding then Feshiebridge is your place, nice 8 or 900m runway, they accept fixed wing, and is located near Aviemore.

Enjoy.