PDA

View Full Version : A320 1+F

AIRBUS58
14th Nov 2000, 23:30
TO AIRBUS PILOTS:

ON THE FLAP/SLATS SYSTEM WHAT DOES 1+F MEAN TO YOU IN OPERATING THE SYSTEM?

Buffy Summers
14th Nov 2000, 23:45
On selection of "flaps 1" for take-off you will get slats "1" plus flaps "1", that is why it is "1+F".
On approach when you select the very same "Flaps 1" you will get only flaps, not slats.
The amount (degrees) you get depends on whether we are talking A320 or A321 as they are slightly different.
Whilst we are on this subject, and when all the more knowledgeable people turn up on this thread, does anyone know why we usually go straight from flaps 3 to flaps 1, say when reducing flap on the climb out.
Does everyone do this? Why? Why not go to flaps 2 first?
For go-around, we usually raise the flaps one notch, which means you could go from flaps 3 to flaps 2, but would you or would you then go straight to flaps 1 again?
No-ones ever explained the "why" part to me.

Royan
15th Nov 2000, 01:45
1+F refers to SLAT+FLAP POSITION which is Slat 18 degrees Flaps 10 degrees . POSITION 1 means SLAT 18 FLAPS 0.

Silky
15th Nov 2000, 03:34
Yo Buffy,even though I'm a great fan I must pick you up on a little erroe of yours...you stated

posted 14 November 2000 19:45
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On approach when you select the very same "Flaps 1" you will get only flaps, not slats.

As far as I'm aware it is the other way around. Flap1 gives you SLAT on approach NOT flap..... as for the goaround.. I have often pondered the same question. :) :) :)

------------------
Gravity always wins....

[This message has been edited by Silky (edited 14 November 2000).]

HOBAY 3
15th Nov 2000, 04:10
Just on a slightly different topic,
Why is it that the A320 has fewer flat/slat settings (1, 1+F, 2, 3 and FULL) as compared with for example the B737, which has Flaps 1, 2, 5, 10, 15, 25, 30 and 40?

Lu Zuckerman
15th Nov 2000, 05:24
This may be a wild guess but if the A320 Command Sensor unit is similar in design to that used on the A310 then it is incapable of providing that many selections due to the design of the rotary switches
(Potentiometers). If I'm wrong then I will stand corrected.

------------------
The Cat

CHAPARRAL
16th Nov 2000, 21:26
Buffy,
If you look at FCOM 3.04.10,pg 2, you can see that F speed is the minimum speed at which the flaps may be retracted at takeoff and it is the same value for both flap 2 or 3, so really there is no point in "going" flap 2 when you already have speed for flap 1.
Agree?

Buffy Summers
17th Nov 2000, 00:41
Silky, DOH! Yes, that is EXACTLY what I meant to say. I really shouldn't post when I am tired!!!!
My explanation kind of contradicts itself with that one word incorrect there.
So I think I shall edit it.
Chaparral, I do agree, yes, I thought that was the reason for going straight to flaps 1 on take off.
However, why should it be a different procedure on a go-around?