PDA

View Full Version : Flying out of Cannes

---o--O--o---
6th Jul 2003, 17:47
Does anybody know any good flying schools / clubs who operate out of Cannes? Flying out their soon on the world's favourite airline and wouldn't mind doing a bit myself. Any advice would help.

VORTIME
6th Jul 2003, 23:33
I've flown in there - superb flying in the area but expect blanket haze this time of year (wait for after a low or some rain). When there, track along the Ligurian Alps towards Albenga in Italy (about an hour if I remember). Great flying club in Albenga - but watch the x-wind, I hear a light aircraft had a fatal crash recently attempting to land.

If visibility is low at all - DONT VISIT ALBENGA!!

down&out
7th Jul 2003, 17:16
I'm planning on flying myself & the misses down there in a month or so, so anyone has any more tips and/or experiences on the local area that would be great.

I've also heard about the mistral wind, can anyone give me a good link to a site explaining more about, when to expect it and its impact on the flying aspects round there? (the ones I've seen so far, are mainly written by/for sailors)

ta:cool:

VORTIME
7th Jul 2003, 17:31
Monitor the direction of the wind and watch for turbulence as you descend through the mountain top levels. Enjoy the view - but it can be incredibly hazy. Was there last week - vis 5-8km

bluskis
8th Jul 2003, 03:42
The Mistral blows along the Rhone valley, and can reach 60kts, with the accompanying problems of extreme turbulance and fuel endurance. TAFs at airfields along the valley will give wind speeds.

Aerobatic Flyer
8th Jul 2003, 15:41
You should expect the Mistral when the pressure over the Mediterranean is lower than the pressure North of the Alps. The Rhone valley is the only real gap in the mountains, so a strong North wind develops. As bluskis says, it can be very powerful, especially in the narrower parts of the valley. It is invariably accompanied by blue skies and good visibility.

When the wind is at its strongest, you want to be on the ground somewhere near the hangar your aeroplane is in. In milder conditions, flying is quite feasible and fun if you're going downwind! It's a drag if you're trying to head North, or if you are crossing the Rhone valley (I did it recently in a small Jodel, and had 40 degrees of drift....)

The Rhone valley also has very strong Southerly winds sometimes, which often bring bad weather.

By the way, you're probably aware that you need to file a flight plan for all flights to Cannes regardless of the origin of the flight. This is part of the (barmy) French anti-terrorism measures. The same rules apply to a number of other airports in France, including Le Bourget, Lyon Bron, Rouen.... Check the Notams!

down&out
8th Jul 2003, 17:06
AF, BS &VT thanks for your replies. Between you, you have explained it well and yes, AF, - I did know about the flight plan requirements! Ce la vie, comme tu dite (don't get at my spelling)

Final question, I can understand your point, AF, about hangers, but does the wind effect Cannes itself that much? It seems to be much further to the east than the Rhone Valley. I'll be based there for a while- do I need to worry about getting the a/c tied down and are tie down spots easily available?

D&O

Aerobatic Flyer
8th Jul 2003, 19:27
D&O

No Mistral problems in Cannes.

In the South of France, there are two winds to worry about: the Mistral, which effects the Rhone valley (and which blows on average one day out of every three), and the Tramontane, which is actually the same wind as the Mistral but which blows through the gap between the Massif Central and the Pyrenees.

When they're both blowing, you don't want to be taking a sightseeing trip along the Mediterranean coast!

Don't have any info about tie-downs at Cannes. Sorry!

atb1943
9th Jul 2003, 06:44
Don't miss visiting the memorial to John Derry, who broke a record flying a Vampire to Cannes or Nice in about 1950. You should find it in the garden outside the terminal building. John gave his name to the Derry turn, a particular aerobatic figure, and was sadly killed in the breakup of the DH110 during the Farnborough air show in 1952, together with Tony Richards.