PDA

View Full Version : 737 Pulsing Landing Lights on SWA

ptwaugh
6th Jul 2003, 15:16
Anyone know the details of the pulse rate etc.?

Patrick

Intruder
7th Jul 2003, 01:14
Maybe they're tied to the Capt's pulse rate -- faster when the FO is landing... ;)

TR4A
7th Jul 2003, 05:27
Anyone know the details of the pulse rate etc.?

What did you want to know? The rate is fixed. The only thing we can do is put in pulse or steady. The Inboard landing lights control the pulse mode. If you place them in the mid position the Inboard and Rwy Turnoff pulse. If you place the Outboard lights to extend but not ON they will pulse. If you place the Rwy Turnoff or Outboards to ON they will be steady. If you place the Inboards to ON, pulse system is turn off.

ptwaugh
7th Jul 2003, 16:42
The rate is fixed.

Do you happen to know what that rate is? 1 pulse per second? I'll probably just get out and do some plane spotting to measure it.

I'm simulating this is why I'm asking these questions, and really appreciate your expertise.

Ok, so first let me be clear which of the lights inboard is the landing and which the turnoff light.

From outboad to inboard there is outboard landing light which you must extend then there is the inboard landing light, and finally closest to the fuselage the "runway turnoff light", correct?

What's the usual procedure?

As you descend throught transition, you set the landing lights into "mid-position", making the inboard landing and rwy turnoff pulse. (By the way, is this the long landing lights switch on the overhead panel? Are they all 3-position? I thought they had 2 positions.)

At what point to you generally extend the outboards? At what point to you turn them on, thus disabling pulse? In your comments, you stated:

If you place the Inboards to ON, pulse system is turn off.

do you mean that landing light switch is moved from mid to full on?

Thanks so much for your help.

Well, if it's not to much trouble, I'm wondering what the procdure with lights is from the gate. Like turning on the rotating beacons to indicate engine start etc.

I'm just a SimSouthWest pilot and VATSIM ZLA controller who loves my hobby and collects SWA aircraft, in case you're wondering.

Patrick

TR4A
8th Jul 2003, 01:29
Do you happen to know what that rate is? 1 pulse per second? I'll probably just get out and do some plane spotting to measure it.

Do not know. Probably 1 to 2 seconds.

From outboard to inboard there is outboard landing light which you must extend then there is the inboard landing light, and finally closest to the fuselage the "runway turnoff light", correct?

Yes

As you descend through transition, you set the landing lights into "mid-position", making the inboard landing and rwy turnoff pulse. (By the way, is this the long landing lights switch on the overhead panel? Are they all 3-position? I thought they had 2 positions.)

SWA procedure landing lights on/off at 18,000ft.
Switch has been changed to 3-position.

At what point to you generally extend the outboards? At what point to you turn them on, thus disabling pulse? In your comments, you stated:

When flaps are extended. (pilots discretion). Anytime it is dark the procedure is to have the lights steady for takeoff and landing. At any other time it is pilot discretion.

If you place the Inboards to ON, pulse system is turn off.

Yes. Full forward then all lights revert their normal function.

Well, if it's not to much trouble, I'm wondering what the procedure with lights is from the gate. Like turning on the rotating beacons to indicate engine start etc.

Position lights are on all the time.
Beacon is on at push-back and/or engine start.
Wing illumination lights are not normally used.
Strobe is on when cleared on the runway. At night captain's discretion, turned on during takeoff roll.

Flight Safety
8th Jul 2003, 02:21
If you don't mind me asking, what's the purpose of pulsing the landing lights? Since I live fairly close to Dallas Love Field, I see this all the time on SWA 737s.

fokkerjet
8th Jul 2003, 04:18
It's for aircraft recognition. Helps make the airplane stand out when you at low altitude or in traffic patterns, ect.

For the most part, you see pulsing lights more on executive jets than on airliners.

Onan the Clumsy
8th Jul 2003, 06:00
Plus it makes 'em last longer - which is kind of counter intuative.

Don't forget if you're simulating them, the 2s, 3s, and 5s are positioned differently from the 7s.

Also if I remember correctly, they pulse left then right, not both on then both off. And there must be a central controller because they don't seem to go out of phase like the turn signals on a long line of trafic waiting at a red light.

I am a :8

TR4A
8th Jul 2003, 12:45
Not all the 300's have them. On the older ones there was a noise heard through the headset so they deactivated them. The 700's do not have them install that I have seen.

The make the aircraft more noticeable AND the light bulbs last longer like they said.

compressor stall
8th Jul 2003, 15:54
Aren't birds/runway fodder more frightened of the pulsing lights rather than transfixed by the bright single point?

ptwaugh
8th Jul 2003, 15:56
Also if I remember correctly, they pulse left then right, not both on then both off.

Huh? When you see them in the air on approach, both sides are pulsing in sync, from low to high slowly, then low quickly.

Flight Safety
9th Jul 2003, 00:06
PTWAUGH, I remember from observations at Love Field that the lights pulse from side to side, not both sides pulsing off and on in sync.

take_that
9th Jul 2003, 00:14
How does this affect the loss of RTF (communication) procedure.

I've seen some of the small biz jets do this. Both myself and collegue questioned the tower as to whether they knew of the a/c on finals when we were cleared to line-up in front (it was on finals).

As far as I am aware in Europe loss of communication is identified by the station flashing his landing lights. Has this changed?

LEM
12th Jul 2003, 13:57
To my knowledge the only purpose is to scare birds.

Cyclic Hotline
13th Jul 2003, 01:30
Pulselight information (http://www.preciseflight.com/transport.html)

Flight Safety
13th Jul 2003, 22:28
I read that the pulse rate is 44 per minute, the same as for many other FAA approved pulsing lights on both aircraft and ground systems. Apparently the FAA feels that this rate provides the earliest recognition at the farthest distance. Some new pulsing units however have a daytime pulse rate that's twice as fast, with the 44 pulse rate still being required at night, because the 88 pulse rate is said to take longer to recognize at night.

The US Department of Agriculture is also presently conducting studies with birds to determine the effectiveness of pulsing landing lights on approaching aircraft, in shattering the birds from the aircraft's flight path. They are conducting the research on a variety of species, and are also testing a variety of pulse frequencies.

I've only read that testing is on going, as I haven't read anything about any results yet. The speculation I read suggests they might possibly recommend a different frequency to the FAA, or possibly several different frequencies depending on what bird species are prevalant at a given airport. Of course all of this depends on the results of the research.

It would be interesting to be flying an approach into your local coastal airfield, select "seagulls" on the landing light panel, and watch the seagulls perform TCAS RAs in deference to your approaching aircraft.

Onan the Clumsy
15th Jul 2003, 04:32
selecting "seagulls"Very funny. :)

Perhaps they should just change the shape of the airframe to make it look more like a hawk or an owl...and paint a big beak on the radome. THAT should scare 'em off.

ptwaugh
15th Jul 2003, 13:08
Ok, I thought when I was plane spotting they pulse both sides in sync on SWA aircraft.

Am I wrong? Also, do the Runway turnoffs pulse with them?

Patrick