PDA

View Full Version : why is accomadation so expensive in Vancouver and victoria?

magneticflip1
6th Jul 2003, 05:31
Just been looking at some B&B prices in Vancouver and Victoria. I am astonished at the prices!! Some of them work out at £50 pounds a night!!.... geeee i think i could buy a house for what it would cost to rent a room there!!!:(

anyone know any cheap ones?

PaperTiger
6th Jul 2003, 06:50
First thing is to realize that B&B accomodation in Canada/US is 'upscale', ie. more expensive than comparable hotels. The opposite of most of the rest of the world.

Secondly it's the height of the tourist season. Prices fall considerably come October, not that that probably helps.

I've no suggestions on how to get a 'deal', you've obviously been surfing already. Be careful of cheap hotels, the Chambers of Commerce won't tell you but some such establishments are very nasty indeed. Ask here if in doubt.

pittss2b
6th Jul 2003, 10:36
Don't go to Vancouver to save money...it's one of the most expensive places to live and fly in Canada.

Steve76
6th Jul 2003, 11:05
You might as well include the rest of the country in that statement....its all very expensive. Bloody PST!

PaperTiger
6th Jul 2003, 12:31
Not for someone coming from the UK it isn't. Have you seen the prices there ? :ooh:

magneticflip1
6th Jul 2003, 16:45
I'm now worried. I thought I had chosen a good place in which to fly. Does anyone know what the food prices are like and general cost of living?

magneticflip1
6th Jul 2003, 21:57
Unless I can find somewhere cheap I am not coming!! I'm not being riped off by paying £50 a night in some B&B:( Times that by 4 weeks and thats blo@dy expensive!!!

Does anyone know any cheap places to stay for around £15 a night!!:(

PaperTiger
6th Jul 2003, 23:13
Where are you looking to fly out of, Boundary Bay, Pitt Meadows or Pat Bay/Victoria ? Have you asked the flight school(s) if they have any accomodation leads ?

Unless you are prepared to stay in a real flea-pit, $35 a night seems a bit optimistic. And anything at that price is likely to be a looong way from any of the airfields.

magneticflip1
8th Jul 2003, 03:17
Apologies if I sounded negative in my last few posts. I am looking in the general area of Vancouver or Victoria or perhaps even Toronto looks good.

Does anyone know what I should pay in these locations for a room?? Just so I dont get ripped off!

thanks!

mzunga
8th Jul 2003, 14:27
I live in Vancouver and can try to help.

When do you plan to be here? How long will you be here? What type of accomadations are you looking for? Room & Board? Hotel? One Bedroom Apt? Two bedroom Apt? Are you going to buy a car or take the bus? Do you want to live near the bars or the beach or the airport?

I fly out of CZBB and always see adds for Room and board I think a typical rate is about CAD750.00 per month.

If you can give me more info I will try to help

Don

Aussierotor
8th Jul 2003, 20:25
Looking up "homestays" ,they range from $650-750 a month.
Thats own room and 3 meals a day--------tops 350 pommie pounds.
One bedroom appartments from 600 to $1000-----450 pounds.
Reckon homestays the way to go especially if they got some teenage daughters

pittss2b
8th Jul 2003, 23:16
There are cheaper places to stay...why not stay in a smaller city and FLY to the big cicties if that's what you want.

We've got accomdations for $325/month including utilities on the airport.

Adam
www.harvsair.com

goates
9th Jul 2003, 03:03
RE: Steve76

There's one province without PST...

Now if only we could get rid of the GST... :D