PDA

View Full Version : Mid Wales Challenge

Timothy
6th Jul 2003, 00:47
I have to get my kids to LLanuwcchllyn (5253N 00340W) by Aztec on a Sunday evening.

At first glance it seems to be the least accessible place in the country. Welshpool plus car hire seems to be the only option, and car hire may not be possible on a Sunday afternoon.

I might get away with sticking them in a taxi, but 'er indoors may not consider this a good idea.

Any ideas would be most welcome!

W

Keef
6th Jul 2003, 05:23
You mean "The Church at the other end of the lake" near Bala?

It's not exactly flat terrain! I know the area well cos it's on my standard route to the cottage.

The only options, I would think, are Welshpool and hire car, or Caernarfon and ditto. I'd guess the Welshpool route would be quicker - it must be 90 minutes from Caernarfon by road.

Whirlybird lives a stone's throw away - but that doesn't help much, either, cos her helo doesn't live there.

Timothy
6th Jul 2003, 15:40
Ah!

So I fly to Welshpool and Whirlybird takes the kids up to their summer camp by helicopter?

Yes :ok:

That would solve every problem and give them something to talk about at camp!

...anyway, what was that you were saying about hiring a car?!

W

Bright-Ling
6th Jul 2003, 15:56
Aghh!..........

Land at Llanbedr. No need to PPR.....(!)

Make an unauthorised landing and get the police to drop your kids off whilst taking you to the nearest big police station.

Sorted:ok:

Keef
6th Jul 2003, 16:33
Dunno what car hire is like at Welshpuddle (aka Trallwng), but might be worth giving them a bell.

Or give Whirly a bell - a bit of helicoptering might be good for a laff.

To be honest, I'd drive the whole way from darkest England - probably take you 4 hours each way. I suggest a route that is relatively fast, clear, and avoids the caravanserais of the A5. Going via Llangollen, Corwen, and the road to Bala is NOT my favourite way.

Instead, go Shrewsbury - Nesscliffe bypass - Knockin (stop for provisions at the Knockin Shop) - Llangynog - over the Berwyn Mountains to Bala, turn left at the lake and there you are.

Whirlybird
6th Jul 2003, 22:25
While I'd love to fly you there, I don't have access to a helicopter at Welshpool, my R44 rating has lapsed, and it's all not really practical. However, Whizzard Helicopters are based at Welshpool, and they probably could take you there; give Welshpool a ring and ask.

Timothy
6th Jul 2003, 23:24
To be honest, I'd drive the whole way from darkest England Ah, well, that's because you are not in possession of all the facts.

The little dears are in orchestra school in Aldeburgh, with a concert ending at 1600L. They are supposed to be in a coach leaving from London for said religious summer camp at 0930L same morning.

Camp are not prepared to accept them any later than the evening meal (ca 1900L), and they are a bit cross about the trouble they are being put to even allowing that (religious types, don'y'a know). You know (better than most of us) that religious people think that they have first call on people's time.

So
(1) Aldeburgh to LLanuwcchllyn is no way 4 hours (TheAA.Com suggest 5.35, and that's without traffic)
(2) we haven't got four hours anyway
(3) I have then got to get back from LLanuwcchllyn for work next morning, and
(4) Driving London - Aldeburgh- LLanuwcchllyn - London is not my dream Sunday.

Apart from that great idea! ;)

W

Keef
6th Jul 2003, 23:46
Ah. Now we get the full assignment!

Aldeburgh; taxi, own car, or hire car to Woodbridge (assuming you have PPR); fly Woodbridge to Welshpool; hire car from Welshpool to Llanuwchllyn (note the spelling there!).

There is no car hire firm at Welshpool, so negotiation will be needed. Ditto Woodbridge (but maybe you could arrange for the Distaff Side to drive the WC mobile from Aldeburgh to Wbr, and/or from Wbr home).

If there's no negotiable hire car at Woodbridge or Welshpool, you need to renegotiate with the religious camp.

If Woodbridge is out, maybe Crowfield or another of those fine ex-WW2 airfields?

I never had such problems with religious camps - are you sure you're negotiating with the right person? I've always found them very accommodating and happy to go along with whatever plan I suggest. Do you need me to have a word with the "authorities" there on your behalf (are they of the appropriate persuasion)?

I'd reckon Aldeburgh to Llanuwchllyn by car is at least 5 hours on a summer Sunday, especially given that Suffolk is involved. Even with a good run up the A14 it's going to be exciting.

Timothy
7th Jul 2003, 02:40
Yup, but for Woodbridge read Framlingham (or Parham as some locals would have it) and probably for car hire read taxi (only £31.)

And yes the (apparently fallible and non-omniscient) religious authority misspelled it on the instructions with two 'c's, but looking at Streetmap I see that you are quite right.

You know the religious persuasion, but at least their foibles extend to arrival time at camp rather than making honest monogamous gays resign while simply moving dishonest multiple paedophiles from parish to parish. ;)

W

rotorboater
7th Jul 2003, 20:01
How long would it take the kids to learn to parachute?

AerBabe
7th Jul 2003, 20:26
Depends on what altitude WCollins is flying at ...!

Keef
7th Jul 2003, 21:41
He's at 1800 feet - he always is. It's a safe height for twins: above the obstacles, and below the singles.

Sounds like Welshpool (Trallwng to my daughter and her family) and a taxi - prebooked, cos otherwise won't be any around.

The name of the place is easy:
Llan = church
uwch = above
llyn = the lake.
Dead easy language, Welsh, till you try to speak it.

Pob bendith,

Keef

AC-DC
7th Jul 2003, 21:55
Car hire at Welshpool is at the garage 3 miles from the airfield, they will collect you from the airfield and might drop you back, call the airfield for details. We have a cottage at LLanuwcchllyn, can't face the driving anymore so i told the wife that an helicopter is on the line.

Timothy
8th Jul 2003, 05:12
Keef

I do sometimes fly at other heights yer know. It depends on the wind and the weather and who I am with. For example, today I flew with an ex-Wagon Dragon* who could never be air-sick and loves the view, so we flew up to Humberside at 2200' (enough to be above the ATZs en route) in the bumps but able to see the ground. If my gorgeous, dusky, pouting wife had been with me I would have gone to FL70 to get above the turbulent cloud to the silky smoothness above. Across the North Sea in a strong head wind I rarely exceed 250-300', to try and mitigate the wind, but then I have to steer around boats; it's all a compromise.

PS why du keep ignoring my ICQ massages?!?

AC-DC

Thank you, yes, I have hired a car from them before when I was going to Aberystwyth and Aberporth was fogged out, but I wonder if they would be very happy to see me at 6.00 pm on a Sunday.

I notice that you, too, spell the village name with a double C, despite Keef's wonderful etymological efforts (he speaks jolly good German as well, and probably tongues if we but knew). I wonder if there are two alternative spellings. It would be jolly useful if you could acquire the helo between now and the weekend after next!!

Thank you all - it's Welshpool and Taxi, and then all into AC-DC's cottage for tea and buns, by the sound of it:D

W

* a male Trolley Dolly, for the unitiated.

AC-DC
8th Jul 2003, 19:16
Tea is a problem at the moment as we are not there, so is with the heli, first I need to obtain the licence. Have a word with the garage, they might leave the car for you at the airfield and collect it the following day, I found them very helpful. As for the spelling it should be Llanuwchllyn (just checked).:) The LLanuwcchllyn version was copied from your original post:D