PDA

View Full Version : BA capt BA8079 20 jun 03

apioca
4th Jul 2003, 03:58
Together with my partner I had the pleasure to fly onboard BA8079 LGW NCL on 20th jun 03.

The captain (Mr McRolie??) made the impossible possible: By making a very witty introduction as the plane left the gate, he made everyone watch the safetybriefing preformed by a cabincrew who were in stiches!

A couple of quotes:
"Ladies and Gentlemen in the cabin tonite we have two wee bonny lasses and to nearly as bonny lads. In a few minutes you will see them standing in the ailes. They are not doing their mimeact because the are trying to improve their chances of getting into acting school - but are doing it in order for you to be fully informed about the safetyprocedures onboard this aircraft - so pay attention!"

".......once the seatbelt sign has been turned off - you are allowed to release you belt, however I do recomend that you keep it fastened, as it wastly improves the chance that your seat and your bum reaches the same place at the same time, in the unlikely event of turbulence......."

Very unorthodox, but it worked - and livened up an othervise very ordinary flight.

A captain like that - makes one want to fly BA again.

Captain if you read this: Keep up the good work!

maxy101
4th Jul 2003, 16:03
Problem is, what some pax find funny, others find patronising....I'd hate to be explaining to my chief pilot why some old dear took exception to something I said on the p.a

fiftyfour
4th Jul 2003, 16:19
I agree with Maxi 101. Being funny, only works if you really are very very funny, and then it only works with one third of the passengers. Everyone else gets pissed off.
You can always tell when you are on a BA flight because the Captain always comes up with some comment about having to listen to important safety information - must be in his flight orders. A few minuits later the purser then also gives a similar announcement -must be in the flight orders. This is then followed by the demo itself - CAA requirement for safety reasons, fair enough.. Surely the demo on its own is adequate.

The Nr Fairy
4th Jul 2003, 16:49
54 :

Good idea, except that in the event of an incident, I'm sure that there would be a queue at the door of the airline's accountants and lawyers of people saying "I never saw the demo because you didn't advertise it was going to be on."

Until passengers realise that listening to the demo may save their life, there can't be enough adverts, IMHO.

PAXboy
4th Jul 2003, 18:08
TNF - agree 100%.

When pax start paying attention every time then we can all relax. It never ceases to surprise me how totally unaware my fellow pax are. Not just about the briefing but as to where in the flight time-line we are / that food is being served and the aisles blocked / that the seat belt light is on / etc.

Over the past 20 years, the carriers have made a big thing of "Hey - it's just like a bus, you turn up and sit down and there you are!" that now we have generations of pax who have no idea of what is involved. Should they know? That's a long discussion that has been held before on Pprune.

So keep up with the amusing introductions and I would go further, add the words "Your life may depend upon your understanding of this information." Nope, never going to happen because no carrier will whisper that something might go wrong! My greatest concern about an emergency onboard is the danger to me from my fellow pax. They terrify me.

I refer you to the thread about an emergency evacuation from a QF 744 upon arrival at SYD - now running in the main Rumours section.

Recover
4th Jul 2003, 23:43
Fiftyfour,

You're absolutely correct regarding the 'welcome' PA. We are required by our orders to include 'BA Operated...', 'Safety & Security', pay attention to safety briefing, seatbelt policy and welcome any OneWorld codeshare pax. The CSD/Purser is supposed to listen to what's been said so they don't repeat the info, but to be honest they are too busy during the boarding to listen to the PA and it is inevitable that stuff gets repeated. I feel sorry for the poor FOs who sit there with 1000 yard stares as Capt Speaking launches into the same diatribe for the 4th time that day; I'm half asleep or signing paperwork while I do it, so they must be sticking pens in their legs to stay awake.

Ahhhh, litigation, isn't it wonderful for improving everbodys lives :ugh:

Anti-ice
5th Jul 2003, 00:29
In BA it is standard procedure that

A) the captain makes reference to the safety briefing.

B) the passsngers attention is drawn to it starting.

C) that everyone can see a demonstration/all tv's are working

Even then i see one SOB card being looked at about once every 4-6 months.

People take it for granted that the crew will get them out.
WELL, not if the aircraft is on fire and its pitch black ,full of smoke.

Cabin crew are required to remain onboard until the point they reasonably feel their life is in danger.

If the pax KNEW what they were doing, evacuations would be alot quicker/safer.

There is a senior cabin crew member at BA also who say's
(with no introduction)

"LADIES AND GENTLEMAN - Do you know how to get out of this aircraft in an emergency - Do you know the location of your nearest and alternative exit - Do you know fully how to use your lifejacket and the location - and Do you know what to do if the aircraft loses its cabin pressure - ?. . . .
"Well i can fully assure you that the answers to all these important questions and more are now being bought to you on the tv monitors in each cabin .
For your peace of mind i recommend that you give them the next 187 seconds of your full attention."

It works . ;)

Bmused55
6th Jul 2003, 03:36
This is something that irritates a great deal.

Pax not paying attention to the safety briefings.
Everytime I fly I watch the safety briefings, and I always notice that everyone around me just read books and magazines, chat with each other or look out of the window.

I know one thing for sure, if the aircraft were to crash land or have some sort of incident that requires evacuation, these people could get hurt. And they would likely be the first to complaign about it.

If you ask me, a clause should be brought in on the sales of tickets.

"If you don't listen to the safety briefings and get hurt as a consequence, then tuff sh:mad:t!!!"

It won't happen,..... bit I wish... and I'm just a passenger.

Flying Boat
6th Jul 2003, 05:26
I fully agree B55.

Sometimes I want to severely smack the arrogant b:mad: ds.

If the unthinkable happened, I would not risk my life to help the selfish G!ts, that know far more than the highly trained crew, because they have a frequent flyer card.
I am a BA Silver card holder, now doing my fATPL training.

:*

hptaccv
7th Jul 2003, 03:50
..generally I agree, but arguably, the people that don't pay attention have perhaps also heard the safety briefings a thousand times because they fly heathrow-frankfurt every day and know that the emergency exits are marked by the word exit...

It does show a certain distain for the responsibilities of the crew though...

norodnik
8th Jul 2003, 21:18
Having flown hundreds of times, mainly on BA, I sometimes find myself asking the question "do I really know this stuff ?"

I have worked in air safety and understand the risks as well as most, but I think the airlines have a tough job making passengers understand.

On the one hand, most of the passengers can't even find their seat when they get on board, so asking them to get out when its dark is hoping for a bit much.

On the other, there is the idea that if the plane crashes we're all dead anyway.

Short of giving people a real life demonsration then I don't see it ever changing.

As an aside, airlines don't help themselves with stories being published of missed maintenance, cost cutting etc. Airlines aren't interested in putting in smoke hoods (even for the pilots) and whilst I appreciate your have to draw the line somewhere, real safety of the passengeres has always been the subject of highly dubious cost/benefit analysis.

BTW, the next time you make your cabin announcements, perhaps you could also point out to the passengeres that they should make their to nearest "big" exit as in a real emergency, most passengers using the "small" exits (over wing etc) get fried.

jettesen
8th Jul 2003, 21:57
In response to your post norodnik, It becomes clear to me that you to don't listen to or read the saftey procedures on board the aircraft.

You mention about how the crew should emphisise the 'big' exits as the pax using the 'small' exits would all be fried! If you read the safety card, it clearly points out that you DO NOT open the exit if there is a hazard outside eg fire or smoke! So it is perfectly safe to use the 'small' exits if there are no hazzards. Eg on a 737, the only usable exits in a ditching are the overwing. So may I suggest in the politest possible way, that may be you too should pay more attention to what is being said in the safety demo, and read the saftey card in the seat pocket, as it is there for your safety!

Sorry if his sounds blunt, but we are all guilty of not listening.

newswatcher
8th Jul 2003, 22:00
norodnik, your final statement is a bit sweeping!

With the BA 737 incident at MAN(8/85), some 25 people successfully evacuated through the right over-wing door; 17 out of the forward passenger door; 34 out of the forward galley door; 52 died.

There was actually some criticism that passengers were caught in a "jam" whilst trying to proceed to the forward doors.

In the event, the rear exits were not used, although the rear right one might have provided some value. From the total of 22 rows of seats in the cabin, there were only 5 survivors from the seats aft of row 16, from where 29 passengers and 2 stewardesses perished.

garethjk22
8th Jul 2003, 22:40
Hi,
The funadamental reason people do not listen is nothing to do with them being arrogant or irresponsible.

The majority of people who fly (passengers I mean) are inherently nervous, they do not understand the process involved, most have never seen the flight deck, they rarely see the guys or gals who are flying them. Basically to the passenger, they are putting there life into the hands of a total stranger.

They do not listen to the safety brief because it implies by it's very existence that something could go wrong, and that is a fact they do not want to admit to.

Now, take off your hats of working in aviation, or being avid enthusiasts, and put yourself in joe bloggs position who may fly once a year - it can be daunting.

Don't beleive me - watch the passengers in the departure lounge, loads of them will be on the phone to loved ones telling them how much they love them and that's they'll see them soon ... how many people do that before getting the train or the bus home?

Gareth

Taildragger67
8th Jul 2003, 22:49
I recently flew with SA low-cost 'Kulula' & the demo was done in a very humourous way - and everybody paid attention as result.

I agree that it is very annoying to see people buried in their papers whilst the demo is on. I would love to hear an F/A saying '... and those of you who can't be bothered watching me now, well, I might not be bothered risking my neck to get your panicking a55 out'. I seem to recall that, for a while at least, Qantas' demo video had a line which ran something like 'Look at the crew member in front of you now. It is this person who you will have to take instructions from in the event of an emergency'. It needs to be personalised - people need to know it CAN happen to them. I recall flying the day of SQ6 - CNN had been on in the terminal. Very attentive bunch that day.

norodnik
8th Jul 2003, 23:58
In all the research I did, in general, overwing exits are the ones to avoid. OF course there will always be exceptions to the rule and we should be grateful perhaps that there are over wing exits (although some previous 747-100 operators bent even these rules!!!).

In response to some of the criticsm from some posters. I could probably give the saftey demonstration verbatim from my chair and I can describe how to open just about any door. I am not the person the crew will be worried about.

In an accident where you land substantially intact, the crew (assuming they keep it together) can organise a reasonable evacuation through the most suitable doors. In a more dire situation its every person for themselves and doors/cracks in the airframe are all valid exit points.

My main points still stand. Most pax have no idea and don't care, it wont happen to them and if it does they think they will be dead.

Airlines don't really care (some try harder than others). Where are the smoke hoods, why are babies allowed on parents laps etc etc.
There never will be a safe, economic way of providing acceptable safety that people will pay for, but there are relatively cheap ways of significantly upgrading the safety that airlines just won't take.

Just as the FAA mantra goes, if planes don't crash there isn't a problem, and if there is it would not have been survivable anyway so why bother.

sirwa69
9th Jul 2003, 18:11
Sorry but I am one of these infuriating passengers who hardly ever watch the safety demonstration.

But then I fly between 120 - 150 times a year for my job (non Airline), I could give the safety demo.

However what I do is try to get a seat at an exit, if not possible I always work out my escape route, ie nearest exit with fewest people between it and I.
I always keep my seat belt fastened when seated

However I did fly EDI - LHR last week and the captain did make an amusing announcement which did cause me to watch.

Whatever gets you through the day :}

On On

VFE
14th Jul 2003, 03:34
On a similar note, how many of you check the nearest fire exit to your room when you stay at a hotel? How many doors from your room exactly is the fire escape? Is there an escape route available from your window? What would you do if you woke up and flames were licking up your bedroom door?

Most people don't give it a second thought but they'll wish they did when they wake up at 0300 and the fire alarm is going off and they cannot see jack for smoke.

Worth reading (http://www.pprune.org/go.php?go=/pub/tech/hotelfire.html)

VFE.

Captain Stable
14th Jul 2003, 17:00
sirwa, I appreciate you fly lots and lots.

However, there are several reasons why you should still pay great attention to the safety brief:- Not listening sets a bad example to other passengers You will probably fly several different types which will quite possibly have different procedures Especially when sitting in an exit row, the cabin crew will want to know that you have been paying attention and will know what your duties are in the event of an emergency Safety procedures do change from time to time - if you don't pay attention, you won't know when they changeYou don't say whether or not you check the safety briefing card - do you, for example, rebrief yourself on the brace position? Do you know which exits cannot be used in the event of ditching? Will you be expecting to see overwing slides? Do you know how the recommended brace position changed after Kegworth? etc. etc.

I for one would like to know that everyone on board pays attention and is as well briefed as possible because, when I am flying as a passenger, my safety depends to a great extent on their performance in an emergency.

willoman
14th Jul 2003, 17:22
Airlines are frequently permitted to fly with a slide not functioning ( with a suitable reduction in passenger numbers ). If you, as a passenger do not have the common sense to listen to the safety brief, you will not be aware of the unuseable exit slide. Even though it will be labelled as U/S, you certainly will not be able to read it in thick smoke - so always listen to the brief, no matter how frequently you or your ego flies.

jettesen
14th Jul 2003, 18:50
I have a question for SIRWA69. As you say you fly lots over 100 times a year, and you say you could give the safety demo yourself. Out of interest, can you tell me where you should congregete as evacuees? Where in relation to the aircraft should all the passengers be when they are out? It does state where on the safety card. Also, if exiting through the overwing exit, which side of the wing do you get off for a land evacuation?

These are all points which are all on the safety aids , but how many people really know?

If you are first out, you are expected to help with the evacuation on the ground. ie hold the slide down and help pax of the slide. This is why it is VITAL that the pax at the exits listen to the demo at all times. They are just as important as the cabin crew.

There are many airlines now which operate on minimum crew, therefore there is not a crew member for every exit, so the passengers in the exit rows have to take control.

sirwa69
15th Jul 2003, 18:19
Captain Stable and Jettesen

Yes I do occasionally read the safety card. I always read it when I am on a new type for the first time. I always check the type of opening mechanism on the nearest exit.

As far as helping passengers off the slide etc. I have never heard that mentioned in a safety briefing and never read it on a card. I was however told about it when I was lucky enough to visit Gulf Airs safety school where I also got a chance to actually open an over wing exit.

I may not be a typical passenger but as I fly more than most my chances of being involved in an incident are higher than most. My initial point is that, like the vast majority of frequent flyers I don't always watch the briefing.

However if the totty is tasty then I am all eyes. ;)

One more point on the same subject. A few months ago I flew BAH - LHR when they had the stop and crew change at Cyprus. Now as we departed BAH we were given a safety briefing. Then as we were taxing out of Cyprus we were given another safety briefing by the new crew. I was bemused by this as none of the passengers had got on or off. We had all had the briefing out of Bahrain so presumable we could still remember it, why give it again?

On On

edited for spelling

You splitter
15th Jul 2003, 20:34
I'm sorry to say it ain't just the pax that this problem manifests itself in.

Once positioned on a non-company flight which happened to have a deadheading crew from my company onboard.

One member read the paper (why give out papers b4 the briefing if you want people to watch!) two had a gossip, and another took 40 winks while the safety briefing was being carried out.

Not on! Poor example to the passengers and most unprofessional to the operating crew conducting the briefing. I dont think I made myself popular when I pointed this out but cest la vie!

CR2
15th Jul 2003, 20:57
I can only back up what Captain Stable has mentioned.

Take a 737 - there are something like 10 different types flying around in various configurations. I for one couldn't remember what's where on each one.

BA's classic 747s had the overwing exits blocked didn't they. Good thing to remember/read up on (at the time)

Another thing I do is count the seat rows to the nearest exit. I've been through our cabin fire trainer enough times; we only use vegetable oil to create the smoke, but believe me, its down on hands and knees to find the exit. Can't see a thing.

You splitter: agree. Damned discourteous to a fellow professional too.

boredcounter
18th Jul 2003, 03:06
But a serious Q.
If you have boarded on time, with, say a 30 min delay to push due ATC. Do the safety brief, identify the typical 'no baggage paper reading frequent flyer' located in the typical seat that blocks useable exits through panic. Watch them ignore the saftey brief for their survival. File an ASR and offload them. It will achieve nothing in a short time, but when 10-20 gold card holders see it, maybe it will start to cascade through the ranks.
How many have the 'I've flown this route 200 times before brigade' got the overwing? can you rely on them?

I know, I am in the industry, I hate flying (believe it or not, as a groundie). From jumpseat,in the good old days, to RHS single crew, in the even better days, 'I need to brief you on the following in the event of an emergencey' got the ears to prick up.

But then as staff, no matter where I sat, a crewmember could lean over and say, 'left engine fire, what would you do'

Sorry, but then they pay no attention to the security Q's at checkin, heard 'em all before. Hell if not themselves, they got a good lawer and company insurence to boot.........................

Just do your best, and look after No1

brockenspectre
18th Jul 2003, 04:17
When I had a full-time career in banking I used to fly a fair amount around Europe and the USA. I also flew a lot by air for weekends away and vacations - nowadays I only make a few flights a year.

I always have and always will pay attention to both the safety briefing and the safety card ... (I am also one who DOES check fire exits upon arrival at a hotel).

Reality is? However well briefed I am and aware of what might happen I have to hope that I will cope OK in an emergency - my paying attention to briefings etc is my way of trying to minimise my panic if/when an emergency arises ... kind of "saturation learning" you might say.

I have just had a bright idea. Although there is likely to always be a last minute "runner" pax on to a flight, the vast majority of pax arrive at the gate in appropriate time and sit, kicking heels, for quite some time. For a relatively small amount of ££/$$ why don't airports install wide-screens in departure lounges with a video/DVD connection so airlines could run a continuous 10-min or so safety briefing, including fun stuff about flying, views out of flight deck etc ... nowadays pax will never have the privilege of visiting the flight deck (I count myself extremely fortunate to have done so round Europe/USA) ... Even if folks chose to read books etc during the broadcast in the Departure Lounge there is still the subliminal/residual effect. This wouldn't replace the on-board safety briefing.

What do you think?

:ok:

G fiend
18th Jul 2003, 19:49
Actually brockenspectre, that's not a bad idea...

newarksmells
19th Jul 2003, 02:04
VFE;

Do you know the highest floor in any U.S Hotel the fire department can reach in the event of a problem? The answer is 7. If you're on 8 or above you're on your own.

Of course, most of the larger hotels use floors 2 through 6 for conference facilities, ballrooms, offices etc. So you're basically out of luck in the event of a real emergency.

Newarksmells

WupWupPullUp
20th Jul 2003, 07:10
a couple of thoughts :

1. FA's do themselves no favours in this department, by handing out newspapers immediately prior to the safety briefing!!! I have never understood why they do this - I mean, how can they expect pax to pay attention to a safety briefing, when they have just handed them a newspaper ?

also

2. I travel around 25-30 times per year on CRJ-700's. I always try to get the overwing exit seat (and 99% of the time succeed). The overwing exit on a CRJ (for those that may not know) is a removable door. It has a flap which folds down, then a pull handle which releases the door. The door then pivots inwards on the lower edge, before becoming completely detatched. It is then necessary to turn the door sideways, and throw it out through the hole (preferably towards the front of the wing, so the exit isn't blocked). It is then necessary to pull the hand-line out of a little door by the side of the seat, and clip it onto a yellow hook on the wing.

As you can see, there is a lot to do, and as the pax in the exit seat, it is entirely your responsibility to do all this. In order to make sure you know what you're doing, the FA's brief you before each flight. HOWEVER, the standard of these briefings varies immensely.

I have had everything ranging from totally inadequate 10-second "just pull this handle here" brief's to the excellent 2-minute thorough explanation.

I agree that it is really annoying to see arrogant pax ignoring the safety briefing (and I, out of respect, never ignore the briefing, no matter how many times I have heared it before), but the cabin crew should also try harder.

:-)

P.S. Once saw someone shout "pay attention, you arrogant b*st*rd" to someone he saw ignoring a safety brief !!

jettesen
6th Aug 2003, 03:56
I would just like to add that I have flown with easyJet a few times, and their crews win hands down for their safety brief. I have been on several flights where they will stop the demo and go up to a pax and explain to them that they need to listen. On three occasions I have seen them stop the demo and move people from the exit area as they were not paying attention to the briefing. This I find Incredible. Takes a lot of guts to make someone move while everyone is watching, and makes people think. Once I have seen 2 pax offloaded as they became arrogant and aggressive towards the crew mwmber as they were disturbed during their little chat while the demo was on. Keep it up guys, maybe other airline crews will catch on and do the same thing!

Captain Stable
6th Aug 2003, 17:23
Very good news, jettesen.

Can I urge whoever is easyJet's FSO nowadays to pass on how they brought this into effect to pass on the info at the next UKFSC meeting?

Something that everyone else could well copy.

GlueBall
7th Aug 2003, 02:21
And not to forget that the newer 737s (NG types) have overwing emergency exits that are hinged at the top and fold out and up, instead of the old plugs that are pulled inside, as on the 737-200s. A surprise discovery that I had made recently when I was travelling as a pax and seated beside one. :ooh:

jettesen
7th Aug 2003, 02:39
Great comment GLUEBALL ! Every aircraft is different in someway. Sometimes not that obvious. This is a classic example of why people should listen and read the safety guides!

phnuff
8th Aug 2003, 22:52
Virgin used to have the voice of the great Leslie Phillips doing their little cartoon announcement. I always got the feeling that people appeared to pay mpre attention to that than a crew member although quite how much help the cartoon would be in an evacuation, I am not sure.) Last trip I made with them, it was now Vic Reeves I believe

Mowgli
9th Aug 2003, 01:58
I often position on BA shuttles and I've heard many different PAs to try and get the audiences attention. The one that is most memorable went something like this:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I would ask that you pay attention to the cabin crew's demonstration especially as it is for your safey. I'm sure your newspapers and magazines are very interesting but they won't help you when you arrive at the door during an evacuation!

HZ123
9th Aug 2003, 20:04
Eventually, I imagine all passengers will have to fill out a validation because as silly as it sounds it may have been or certainly will be an issue for litigation in the future.

The crew have a legal obligation to ensure that pax are made aware and surely there is a legal onus on the CC, the fact that people choose not to listen or fail to comprehend is not relevant in todays 'Health and Safety' and litigation mad mode.

Reading through the thread all of us are aware that most of what is contained is a snapshot of what takes place. Many people that do listen probably do not understand what takes place irrespective of what the Captain says. CC often go thru the exercise with a less than enthusiastic outlook which may also be detected by the pax.

Simply there is no answer it is a little like car / driving safety. If you take out your user manual it will tell you to check up to 25 + items every time you go out, I know no-one that does this and many drivers some with the best cars are probably the whorst having little knowledge of where when and how to do these things.

From pax perspective that seems to be how they view or otherwise the safety drills.

Bob Grim
13th Aug 2003, 03:11
I shall retire soon. On my last few flights I intend saying to the passengers precisely what I have been wanting to say for years: "This is simple Darwinian selction folks. You listen, you live. You ignore it, you die. Thank you for your attention."

kingair90
15th Aug 2003, 18:02
Something new has happened to me now a few times while flying a German IT/LoCo carrier to the UK which I use approx. all 2 weeks:

When having a seat at the overwing exit I was personallyadressed by the F/A after the brief whether I knew how to work the exit.

Funny though, seems not to be official as this happened maybe 4-5 times out of the last 15-20 flights.

Not a bad idea - why not do so as a standard operating procedure?

Dom Joly
15th Aug 2003, 18:49
Agree Kingair,

Why not take it one stage further and hand out the overwing instruction cards and say that you will return in 5 mins to ask a question about the exit to make sure they fully understand. I'm sure many will then pay particular attention to whats written on the card. If they can't answer the question then they get moved to a non-emergency exit seat.

My main beef is those regular travellers who think they know it all. Even if you do, PLEASE PLEASE pay attention. Its amazing to watch the affect that a newspaper or a sleeping passenger has on the attention of the surrounding passengers. They subconsciously think 'well if they aren't paying attention then I don't need to either'. For those regular flyers that do know the exits and emergency procedures; it won't help you if the other people around you don't know what to do and end up blocking your path. In an accident we all know time is critical. Two seconds could cost you your life. Now tell me your happy that others around you aren't paying attention during the briefing!

How sure are you that passengers in your vicinity know where and what they should do in an emergency?

robmac
16th Aug 2003, 13:20
Without wishing to look like an enemy of safety, I have a few points that I have noticed, that might throw a new angle on it.

1. Good rules of instruction - Explanation, Demonstration, Imitation. Safety briefs are only, necessarily, 2/3 of this equation and knowing roughly where a lifejacket is and how to put it on, is quite different from finding it and doing it, especially in stress.

2. Army saying - No plan survives first contact with the enemy - In a survivable crash, if the CC are out of action, someone else will have to have a go at the doors, for example, perhaps the briefing needs to be extended ? How will pax with crew incapacitated know when it is safe or not to open a door due to fire, water etc. In an emergency situation you are relying on good old fashioned common sense, and leadership showing out from some.

What I am trying to indicate is potentially how little complete application the safety brief may have in serious incidents where there can be hundreds of factors affecting life or death, and not many of them within control of the CC, however well trained.

While the brief itself does not do any harm, it is the psychological impact of seeing an interested, calm and professional crew demonstrating that they have things under control, that will be in forefront of frightened pax minds during an incident. Perhaps the brief should indicate the need to stay calm, consider options and co-operate with other pax and crew as the most important contributory point to survival.

One more point, some years ago I was on a 767 out of Taipei that after rotation had a loud bang, smoke and loss of power on the right engine. The CC went on the intercom (to the cockpit !!), turned white as a sheet, put the intercom down and then made her straps very tight, I could feel the panick flow amongst the pax immediately. It is the duty of crew to be reassuring and calm to pax (right to the end if necessary, if that does not seem too morbid).

That appearance of reassurance and calm starts from the welcome at the door, and is NOT served by egotistical bleating "if you don't listen to me I will not save you" or easyjets confrontational approach.

Psychology, empathy, common sense please:ok:

Self Loading Freight
16th Aug 2003, 17:09
Perhaps you could have a bit of a show. Turn up the cabin temp, play the sounds of fire through the PA, let some stage smoke or dry ice float through the cabin, maybe a scream or two... then kick in some nice floaty music, spotlight on the demonstrator who's appeared angelically through the dissipating mist, and into the safety briefing.

R

Front_Seat_Dreamer
16th Aug 2003, 18:06
Have just read throught the entire post and have to agree with different sides of this thread.

I fly quite often and am guilty of thinking 'Another safety dem argghhh' however I do pay attention. As I am a saddo who gets to the airport early simply to try and bag a seat with a little extra room being the upper side of 6' tall I also familiarise myself with how the doors open.

What annoys me most is the bored look on the faces of the CC who also nod messages between each other whilst in the midst of their demonstration there is little wonder that passengers ignore them when they hardly seem interested themselves.

DSR10
16th Aug 2003, 19:50
"airports install wide-screens in departure lounges with a video/DVD connection so airlines could run etc"

Stange but true that the mega airline "Skybus" which routes to the Scilly Isles does run a briefing video in departure shed, mainly due to the problem that there are no CC and if there were, they would have to do it on their knees.
[the briefing that is]

Tan
16th Aug 2003, 21:11
kingair90

quote "When having a seat at the overwing exit I was personallyadressed by the F/A after the brief whether I knew how to work the exit."

That's SOP at AC and I was under the impression that all the majors did it...

jettesen
17th Aug 2003, 21:02
It is sad but true that pax always think they know better than the cabin crew, but the reality of it is that we will never have the full attention of pax during the dafety demo. Even the emergency demo, pax will be panicking, thinking " am I going to die" not listening in the slightest to the brief. This will always be a touchy subject , and all we can do is to do our best and hope that at least 1 in 3 have listened and will be able to help others in an emergency.
I think the cabin crew have every right to move or even off load pax if they are blatenly ovious in not paying attention during the demo, especialy when seated next to an exit and already having a warning from the vrew member concerned. After all, there are air navigation orders which do state the 'rules' and the consequences facing the pax if they fail to comply.
When a pax buys a ticket, they are buying into a legaly binding contract of terma and conditions in which the airline operates by, and like any other kind of contract, there are consequences if broken.

JW411
17th Aug 2003, 23:07
The best safety briefing that I ever listened to was given by a Caledonian girl. She used humour to get people's attention. Once the laughter started, everyone (and I mean everyone) listened attentively just to hear what was making the other passengers laugh.

I only wish I could remember the whole speech but one little nugget was "your lifejacket has thoughtfully been fitted with a light and a whistle for attracting sharks". The punters loved it.

jettesen
25th Aug 2003, 21:26
I totally agree with that statement. I'f you add a little humour, the pax will listen more attentively to hear whats going to come out next!! Just wish The CAA, would agree too!!