PDA

View Full Version : Free teaching aid if anybody's interested

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Jul 2003, 06:58
I'm in the process of re-engining one of my microlights. The old engine is very firmly never going to serviceable again after throwing a small end bearing and consequently rendering unserviceable parts worth more than a second hand engine.

Whilst I've invevitably been robbing the ancilliaries from it to re-use (fuel pump, gearbox, carbs, manifolds etc.). It does leave me with the core of an engine - crankcase, crankshaft, conrods, pistons, cylinder heads which other than being slightly pitted (from flying bits of needle bearing) looks reasonably presentable. Also being a Rotax, whilst the bits are all in the same order as anything else (apart from lacking the obvious valves you'd see on a 4-stroke), it's relatively small and light and can be pulled apart and re-assembled to your hearts content without needing any tools if you leave the cylinder-head nuts off.

If this would be of any use to anybody as a classroom model / teaching aid let me know - free to a good home. I'm most often usually found around Popham / Kidlington / Old Sarum so can happily drop it at any of those in passing.

Cheers,

G

MLS-12D
10th Jul 2003, 03:37
Very kind offer. This sort of training aid is certainly very useful for classroom demonstrations.

MLS-12D

P.S. I don't think that one would see a post like this Stateside ... people would be too freaked out about the potential liability if some idiot tried to repair the engine and use it in an aircraft (notwithstanding your express warning that it is permanently unserviceable).:rolleyes: Thankfully, things are not quite that bad here in Canada (yet).