PDA

View Full Version : Last year double engine failure 737 Indonesia

Hudson
1st Jul 2003, 21:44
I think it was early last year when an Indonesian B737 experienced a double flame-out in a thunderstorm at high altitude and finished up by dead-sticking into a river bed.

Appreciate any leads to an official accident report on the accident, or an accurate account of what caused the flameouts, pilot actions and dead-stick profile.

Thanks.

Ugly Jet Captain
3rd Jul 2003, 17:20
I was over there when it happened and there was a rumor he ran the mains dry. Not a good deal.

Just try to get a light on the APU at high altitude with no fuel in #1 tank. By the time he figured it out there was no electrical to power the center pumps.

Just what I heard. No firm idea.

PlaneTruth
4th Jul 2003, 05:36
UglyJetCaptain,
(Man you must have some ugly livery to claim that handle ;))

This story reminds me of the TACA that flamed on departure from MSY in heavy rain back in '88. I had a TACA guy on the jumpseat who told me it was the Chief Pilots son who forgot to gas up after the trip up from Columbia or Honduras or wherever they were from. This jives with the CBS news footage of a 737 sitting on a Mississippi river dike in heavy rain. As the CBS van drives up, the F/O runs up to the van and says, "Can you get us some GAS?" ("Sure, I got me a five gallon can rite cheer in thuh bay-uk.") DOH! After this event, CFM converted from the "Madonna" cone style water-jammin spinners to the "Dancing Bear Nose" radial ablatement style which is all the fashion rage now.

I wonder how many passengers on that plane today realize they are sitting on a plane that deadsticked onto a dike --and then lived to tell?

PT
(The Banned One)

:ok:

used2flyboeing
6th Jul 2003, 15:17
PlaneTruth Said:

.... After this event, CFM converted from the "Madonna" cone style water-jammin spinners to the "Dancing Bear Nose" radial ablatement style which is all the fashion rage now. . . .

Actually, the "tangential spinner" was only one mod, hey also installed what is known as the "Cutback Splitter Fairing" & added more Variable Bypass Valves to centrifuge out the water, as well as a higher flight idle etc. - AIRBUS added this clap trap as well to the A340 & A320s - for the same reason - the CFM56s poor resistance to inclimate weather flameout - now that the problem is understood - everybody in the engine business does these tricks - the FAA has an NPRM on this topic - IE certifying engines for water ..

lomapaseo
6th Jul 2003, 21:48
"Everybody does these tricks"

Well not quite. Only those designing and certifying to the new rules. There are lots of planes out there that still need to avoid weather.

And just to get back to the original subject, tha is precisely what went wrong. The engine did have the latest and greatest but unfortinately like most environmental issues one can not design for all possible encounters. This guy just flew into a 1 in E-8 storm.

Prudence goes hand in hand with engineering in aviation.

used2flyboeing
7th Jul 2003, 22:39
Point well taken ..

the 777 was the first aircraft to have the new rules on water - regardless - an E8 all bets are off as far as Im concerned - particularly with a twin ..