PDA

View Full Version : Drunk Pilot rumours

Desertia
1st Jul 2003, 15:29
I stress that this is a rumour but there is talk that an Omani GF Pilot at Heathrow was arrested in the last few weeks in the cockpit, with a BA of 67.

He has now apparently been slapped on the wrist and told that because he's been a naughty boy, he can't fly the big toys anymore and has to dash around the Gulf at the controls of a 320.

Can anyone verify this, or at least provide a credible source where one can check this out in London.

If this is true it disgusts me, and it should be publicised.

BN2A
1st Jul 2003, 18:57
Probably isn't true. So shouldn't be publicised.

:*

Desertia
1st Jul 2003, 19:03
although the pilot concerned has actually been telling people about this (if it's a joke it's a sick one) but his name has obviously been withheld for that exact reason.
However, is there a PR section or the like at Heathrow that could confirm or deny this? Or is this kind of thing hushed up unless the tabloid rags get hold of it?
And like I said, if it IS true, then it should be publicised. More to the point the punishment should fit the crime.

Airbubba
1st Jul 2003, 19:35
It's certainly possible that UK authorities would send the guy home and sweep the incident under the rug lest they offend Arab oil suppliers. Several years ago a young Kuwaiti sheika was detained at LHR after heroin was found in her luggage. The UK declined to press charges even though she had no immunity, diplomatic or otherwise and sent her home to have the family (al-Sabah) take care of the matter. This incident was widely reported in the media at the time.

It is not unheard of to have international crewmembers banned from countries where they have had a run in with the law. More than one former expat has to be careful where he transits after jumping out of a contract years ago. I know a Canuck who was arrested at JFK for unpaid child support on a transit as a pax. Hope he at least got a green card out of the deal <g>.