PDA

View Full Version : Getting hold of regional QNH

Pilot16
1st Jul 2003, 05:55
Hi, I was wondering how I can get hold of the regional QNH (London/Chatham QNH) prior to flight for flight planning purposes?

I searched all forms and dial up services :confused: I know how to get Aerodrome QNH, but what if I am after London or Chatham QNH?

EKKL
1st Jul 2003, 06:04
Does your Instructor not know? :confused:

DB6
1st Jul 2003, 06:24
You can normally get it from the tower as you taxi or by phone beforehand, however if you only have A/G they might not have it. The military have MOMIDS, an intranet which has forecast QNHs amongst other things, so try calling your nearest military met office if all else fails.

Pilot16
1st Jul 2003, 07:44
Well I havent flown for a long time. Thanks for the replies. Yes I know, you cant get it from the A/G station on my airfield. It seems like getting the regional QNH beforehand is tougher than i thought. :confused:

Cant the MET Office publish it somewhere or something :rolleyes:

expedite_climb
1st Jul 2003, 08:39
Difficult to publish anywhere that it may be reproduced in paper form as it is updated every hour !

Out of interest - why do you need to know it before a flight ?

Pilot16
1st Jul 2003, 09:22
oh that must be why i suppose!

I was just interested...say for TAS calculation (yeh i know its no biggy)

Keygrip
1st Jul 2003, 12:04
Well - TAS calculations - I'm curious to see where this conversation goes now.

As a matter of pendantry, however, it should be called an "RPS" (Regional Pressure Setting) not a "Regional QNH"

Going off at a tangent somewhat - how many ATC'ers still call it a Regional QNH?? I know Bournemouth ATIS does - who else??

iainpoll
1st Jul 2003, 14:33
P16,

I would try a quick phone call to london information. Also you could try the London city ATIS.

If all else fails, jump in the aircraft, tune in London info, listen in for a few secs et voila;)

Iain.

PhilD
1st Jul 2003, 14:43
Q1 Given a reasonable variation between 'official' regional QNH and a QNH available in advance from (e.g.) Met Form 215, how much difference is that going to make to TAS?

Q2 Can you fly an airspeed that accurately?