PDA

View Full Version : ICAO or IATA?

regor
1st Jul 2003, 05:46
I am broadly aware of the differences between the two organisations, but have always wondered why they never thought to harmonise their airport and airline codes.

Can anyone tell me if there is a legitimate and practical reason for maintaining two different sets of codes?

Spitoon
2nd Jul 2003, 01:37
Probably not done due to cost and confusion. What's the benefit - everyone who uses either set of codes knows the ones they need (or can look them up).

In the old days there were separate communications networks for messages etc, these days messages etc commonly use common data networks so it's less of a problem but the cost of 'merging' the two would be immense. Who would pay and who would benefit?

Boss Raptor
4th Jul 2003, 03:39
The two organisations are completely separate with completely different mandates, broadly speaking;

ICAO - part of United Nations and role goes back many years as a means of standardising flight safety and operational legislation/procedures. Answerable untimately to the UN.

IATA - set up by the industry to cover/harmonise many industry issues such a ticketing, codes of conduct etc. Answerable to a management board and council made up of deligates from the member airlines.

I believe the 4 letter ICAO codes are, as stated by Spitoon, based on old fashioned communications protocols whereas IATA codes were simply quick abbreviations of destination airports and in some cases city areas such as 'LON' for London and 'PAR' for Paris.

The 4 letter ICAO designator codes are issued in conjuction with the ICC, Intl. Communication Commission and country identity marks are in fact issued solely by the latter and not by ICAO.

In practical terms ICAO 4 letter codes are issued to most military and civil public access airfields and also ATC centres, Comms. Centres, CAA offices etc. Whereas IATA codes are limited to airfields with commercial traffic and a few others that have requested designation.

ICAO codes are used on the 'AFTN' communications network, IATA codes are used on the 'SITA' network. Both are completely seperate and again have massively different function, protocols and facilities.