PDA

View Full Version : Columbia, California

411A
1st Jul 2003, 05:36
If you're traveling to the USA to do some private flying, stay well away from Columbia California (022).
Today at approximately 9:30am (PDT) a Piper Colt was being hand-proped by its owner (no one inside ), the engine started allright and,

ran over the owner,
taxied between five parked aircraft (missing all),
and hit the side of the 10,000 gallon above ground 100LL fuel tank...denting same, but no leaks/fire.

Owner recovering in hospital from amoung other things, a severe case of embarrassment.

On second thought, with this turkey out of action (for awhile anyway), Columbia is now safe to visit.

Julian
1st Jul 2003, 15:18
Have flown into 022 myself during my IR.

3 of us walking round town expecting the duelling banjos music from 'Deliverence' to start up any moment....nuff said....!

englishal
2nd Jul 2003, 00:10
Interesting place, We walked into a bar and everything went quiet, everyone was in checked shirts, baseball caps, and dodgey beards, when we asked for 3 coffee's in three spiffing British accents, you could just about hear the locals tobacco spittle hitting the floor. Then strange "cyclops" lady shuffles over and starts eyeing my friend up......Time to leave :D Good laugh though, and once the locals had relaxed a bit they were quite friendly!

EA:D