PDA

View Full Version : Bex -- interesting winds!

QDMQDMQDM
30th Jun 2003, 23:54
Anyone else been into this strip deep in the Rhone valley? I took the Super Cub in today to stick it in a hangar for a few days against some forecast storms. Well, what a surprise.

Looked very innocuous, forecast wind blowing North-South down the valley, about 5-10 knots in the surface, smooth flight from 7,500 feet down to about 3,000 feet, smoke from factory chimneys agreeing with forecast wind, approach from the North, get near the overhead at 1700 agl (field is 1300 feet amsl) and all hell breaks loose. Bad, bad turbulence, looks like the wind is the opposite direction to that on the ground, what the hell is going on?! Thrown about a lot and couldn't make out the windsock, so headed back north and all went quiet again. Came back south, same thing, so entered the circuit downwind at 2200 feet for the northerly runway, lots of turbulence, but it looked like a North-South wind, as per the factory chimneys. Missed approach off the first one, 500 feet circuit for the second and got in, but very, very blowy down to about a hundred feet, wing drops, 20mph airspeed excursions etc. On the ground, calm 5-10 knot northerly, looks like a lovely calm day for flying.

The answer? 3 miles south of the airfield, the Rhone valley narrows to a couple of hundred yards from about 5 miles wide and convective, contrary winds are very common. The landing directions switches all day apparently.

Interesting lesson. Moral? Be prepared for the unexpected, especially in the mountains, look for topographical influences on winds like a hawk and always pack an extra pair of underpants, even for short day trips.

David

Aerobatic Flyer
1st Jul 2003, 00:55
Hi David,

Haven't been there...... sounds very :yuk: :yuk:

Are they forecasting storms for several days? You're obviously the wrong side of the border! Forecast is still quite reasonable on the French side. If it clears up, see if you can go and have a look at the Croix du Coeur - a strip not too far to the South near Verbier at 7100ft. It's a beautiful spot, and there must be someone at Bex who can take you there.

When are you heading back to the UK?

bluskis
1st Jul 2003, 02:13
If you are tempted to try it, check if the Croix de Coeur strip has been prepared yet. The local club usually clears the winter damage in June, but that may not have been done yet.

Otherwise come to the fly in towards the end of August.

QDMQDMQDM
1st Jul 2003, 04:21
AF,

I severely doubt that anyone who has been into the Croix Rozier at Villefranche would be phased by Bex, but for me the contrary winds were a bit of an eye-opener! ;) The locals were completely sanguine about the winds -- it's nothing for them.

I'm surprised you haven't got storms forecast with you -- the meteo.fr website has some big fat thunderclouds sitting over you for the next couple of days. Thanks to the man in the R44 by the pumps at Villefranche, I've run out of adrenaline when it comes to waiting for my plane being blown over or shot to bits by hail, hence the move to a hangar for a few days.

Croix du Coeur sounds interesting (thanks too bluskis). I might see if someone can take me to look. Tell you what, though, I've decided I don't like summer mountain flying as much as crystal clear, calm winter days. Going into these places in the afternoons would be no fun at all. I can easily see how the L4 cracked up at Croix Rozier, even despite the fact that it is based at Bex and has ample experience of nasty winds.

BTW, next trip to the Alps I'm going to have an EGT gauge fitted for my own and my engine's peace of mind.

All the best and thanks again for the car trip a couple of weeks ago.

Best,

David

P.S. The aero club at Ecuvillens has a frozen lake (Lac Noir / Schwarzsee) which they fly into every winter, all winter. Sounds fun.

Aerobatic Flyer
1st Jul 2003, 05:38
The web site I looked at said "chance of a light shower" tonight. Currently the hail is falling, and trees are blowing over... :rolleyes: That'll teach me to believe the "wanadoo.fr" weather forecast !

Last week we had hailstones the size of golf balls, which would probably have brought down a 747.

La Croix du Coeur is a bit longer than La Croix Rozier, but not a lot. It has a few more options for getting it wrong. I haven't been there since the beginning of June last year, when it was in good condition.

I've heard of the frozen lake. There was a fly-in there this winter. It sounds fun, so long as you aren't tempted to try your brakes!

Bluskis - Where do you fly from?