PDA

View Full Version : Buildings and contents insurance

nitefiter
30th Jun 2003, 21:46
Can anyone out there shed any light on why i should be refused buildings and contents insurance on my house because i am a pilot?
This came to light as we shopped around when the new quote came in as astronomical.
BTW i have no criminal record and have not made any claims on any previous insurances.

BlueEagle
1st Jul 2003, 07:48
Sounds like a mistake to me, have you 'phoned them? Shop around, when I was last in the UK I had a good deal from Tower Insurance, who are part of the Royal Group and are based in Douglas in the Isle of Man and most of the big firms are quite competitive, Direct, (Royal Bank of Scotland) were good too.

reynoldsno1
1st Jul 2003, 10:47
It's probably because they think you will be away a lot, and the property will be empty for long periods...
UK insurance & banks - :\

nitefiter
1st Jul 2003, 15:47
we have phoned and shopped around and are being told that more and more companies are now refusing business from pilots and cabin crew,
we have been able to get insured since but i found it a bit strange.
Thanks.

flybystring
2nd Jul 2003, 06:10
Had the same problem, just shopped around, Seem to remember Norwich Union will not offer any household insurance to a pilot.

Insurers seem to think we all spend endless months away lounging on beaches, before flying home to drive the Porsche home.

Obviously during this time away, the criminal fraternity has been around to the eight bedroom country estate in surrey, robbed you blind and stolen the Austin Healey one only uses in the weekend during summer. Regrettably Granny did not notice from the apartment you had built especially for her, so she to could share in the opulent lifestyle your career in aviation affords you. How far from the truth; but then there was a time, but don’t get me started !

:ok:

GlueBall
2nd Jul 2003, 23:35
Try not to masquerade as a pilot. Tell them that you work in Flight Ops! Indirectly it would be a correct answer, eh?

On the other hand, you're nothing more than one overpaid bus driver (with wings), or one overpaid garbage truck driver (with wings) if you're working for a cargo outfit.

Banana99
2nd Jul 2003, 23:38
Tell them you're a computer operator! ;) :)

spekesoftly
2nd Jul 2003, 23:55
Whilst I appreciate that some of the above replies were (hopefully!) 'tongue in cheek', giving false/incomplete/misleading information on any Insurance proposal is complete folly.
Come the day of a claim, you will be found out, and the claim rejected. False economy.

bluskis
3rd Jul 2003, 01:25
Contents insurance is mostly a waste of time, certainly on the theft bit. Insurers have endless ways to wriggle out of what you thought you had paid them for.

Check if anyone will insure you for fire and flood without theft.

If not, just save the premium money for a few years and that will cover most small incidents. The trouble is, if you have a mortgage, the mortgage company usually insists on insurance cover on the buildings.

BlueEagle
3rd Jul 2003, 08:29
Have to disagree with bluskis there I'm afraid.

My son's house was robbed recently and he got a full pay out without any problems.

Like anything else in insurance you get what you pay for. If you go for a cheap policy you can expect a mass of exclusions and conditions that will limit payout. Most of the reputable companies offer similar terms and conditions at competitive rates but at more than some of the cheaper and less comprehensive options.

As speaksoftly says, non-disclosure or deliberately incorrect discosure of essential information will not only invalidate your claim but may get you prosecuted as well!