PDA

View Full Version : Visit Sheffield

jayemm
30th Jun 2003, 21:12
I flew to Sheffield City Airport yesterday, in a PA28 (SE). In the context of previous threads about Sheffield (SE previously not allowed, unclear ATC etc), I just wanted to say:

Great approach (from the M1/M18 VRP), with superb views of the city and the moors to the west

Great runway

Great service (ie. phoning, directions to local restaurants, PPR etc)

Landing fees ok (£11)

A/G Radio - clear and helpful (and patient!)

One of the biggest shopping centres in the UK (Meadowhall) and restaurants etc ('Centretainment') 10 mins away.

Worth visiting just because it is one of the few 'in-city' airfields that is open to GA.

I'll definitely be going back.

Spiney Norman
30th Jun 2003, 22:07
Jayeem..
Your absolutely right. Went there myself about a fortnight ago. £6.88 for my 630Kilos. Nice airfield and very friendly. The little Cafe was open and was good value too. The single-engined operating instructions are very simple and I've put it on my list of handy fuel stops. I thought it was a good sign that there were three other singles there the day I visited. The more of us that visit the better. Here's hoping that Peel keep it open permanently.

Spiney

Shaggy Sheep Driver
30th Jun 2003, 22:16
And, cheapskate that I am, I noticed there is a 'free landing' voucher in one of the mags for July.

SSD

Saab Dastard
1st Jul 2003, 04:10
Wasn't there a thread about a fly-in there for the 12th July?

I've an aircraft booked for that day, so I'm up for it.

SSD - Which mag has the free landing fee?

SD

Shaggy Sheep Driver
1st Jul 2003, 04:54
SSD - Which mag has the free landing fee?

It was 'Flyer'.

SSD

jayemm
2nd Jul 2003, 01:47
Saab Dastard

For information, I notice on The Hangar that there's a 'Flyer forum' flyin to Sheffield on 12th July. I might go - are any pruners also 'Flyer' posters as well? Anyone I know going?
This was posted by knobbygb a while ago, and kolibear said he would try to go to.

If I can get the plane (already booked by another member), I'll come too.

dmjw01
2nd Jul 2003, 03:24
Excellent! The more the merrier!

I think most people are aiming to arrive for lunchtime-ish... I'll phone the restaurant nearer the time and warn them to expect more people than usual.

I'll also contact Sheffield and see if I can get a downloadable copy of their joining instructions and PPR form. You do have to sign a PPR form and fax it to them before you visit, but that shouldn't be too difficult to arrange.

And I'm pretty sure some of us forum-ites are also ppruners as well - everyone's welcome!

If you like, you can join the list at TheHangar.co.uk (http://www.thehangar.co.uk/flyindex/main.php)

maggioneato
2nd Jul 2003, 05:15
And DW, don't bring any of your rats, or that nose on the back of your neck! :E

dmjw01
2nd Jul 2003, 06:09
<grins>

Alas, I don't think DC make headsets small enough for the average ratty head, so they'll have to stay at home ;)

knobbygb
2nd Jul 2003, 16:26
For info, I won't be going on the 12th - I dithered too long and now can't get an aircraft! Still, might drive in if a few pruners are there (I was driving almost past it to get the a/c to fly there anyway :\ ) Mind you, if it's a Peel Airport (???) it'll probably cost me more to park my car that it'd cost to fly in :sad: ;)

maggioneato
3rd Jul 2003, 15:51
How true about Peel Holdings parking, it cost me £18.50 last week from 7.30am to 10.15pm at LPL, nearly as much as the flight £9.99 each way. Surely Sheffield would be a lot less than that.

dmjw01
6th Jul 2003, 19:35
I've just received the joining instructions and PPR form from Sheffield. The PPR form itself is a big image file in TIFF format, so I've converted it to a couple of other formats as well. You can download it from any of these links...

The TIFF file (http://www.dmjwilliams.co.uk/download/sheffield_ppr_form.tif)
Or as a GIF (http://www.dmjwilliams.co.uk/download/sheffield_ppr_form.gif)
Or as an MS Word file (http://www.dmjwilliams.co.uk/download/sheffield_ppr_form.doc)

I recommend downloading one of the image files and opening it in a graphics program like PaintShop Pro, and when you print it you'll need to do a "fit to page" or similar because it's a large high-res image. Failing that you can use the MS Word file. Internet Explorer doesn't seem to allow you to scale an image to fit the paper, so it'll come out huge!

Once you've filled it in and signed it, you can fax it back to them on 0114 201 1888. Of course, if none of that works you can always phone them on 0114 201 1998.

And here are the joining instructions... all pretty straightforward really. The VRP is the M1 / M18 junction, and here's an image of it:

http://www.dmjwilliams.co.uk/images/forumpics/M1_M18.jpg

Guide to Single Engine Aeroplane Pilots Using Sheffield City Airport

1. Restrictions

1.1 The Airport is now available for use by single engine aeroplanes; however, it is not available for use by solo student pilots flying single engine fixed wing aeroplanes.

1.2 The use of the aerodrome is subject to prior permission (PPR) of the Airport Director or his representative. All inbound movements are to be confirmed by PPR on the day of the flight or if pre booking not later one hour before the close of business the day before the movement is planned. Radio PPR will not be accepted.

1.3 No planned repetitive circuits are permitted.

2. Joining

2.1 Mandatory approach route is to be followed.

2.2 Pilots are to be familiar with the chart prescribing the route, the area surrounding the Airport, the ATZ and its proximity to the City of Sheffield.

2.3 All approaches by single engine aeroplanes are to be through the Visual Reference Point (VRP) which is the junction of the M1/M18 motorways (J32).

2.4 All joining by single engine aeroplanes should be from overhead the airport at 2000ft QFE via the VRP. Circuit height 1500ft QFE.

2.5 CAUTION - Pilots be aware that other aircraft could be joining via the VRP and overhead, please keep a vigilant lookout at all times.

2.6 Aeroplane pilots are to ensure they do not overfly the City of Sheffield.

3. Departure

3.1 Aircraft are to depart the circuit and zone at 1500ft QFE, keeping a good lookout at all times.

4. Noise Abatement

4.1 Runway 10 climb out, turn right at 500ft, then climb to 1500ft QFE.

4.2 Runway 28 climb out, turn left at 500ft, then climb to 1500ft QFE.

foghorn
7th Jul 2003, 02:41
Sheffield is a good little airport, isn't it? I visited them a couple of days after they opened to singles, and I'll be going back several times over the summer.

A couple of things to note about the special procedures there. Firstly, they keep the signed, faxed back PPR forms on file, so you only need to do that for your first visit. After that telephone PPR should be OK without any form-filling.

Secondly, despite the instructions implying that they require an overhead join, when they are on 10 they let you do downwind joins straight from the VRP. Tight circuits are in order as there aren't many options other than the field if the donk goes in the circuit, particularly on 10. I shudder to think what would happen if the donk went on the 28 climb out, it's all very congested, but they are by no means the only field in the UK with that problem (Cambridge's westerly main RW springs to mind).

Have fun - it must be the most convienient GA airport for any major city in the UK - as has been said Sheffield City must be the only GA airport in Britain with its own shopping mall and entertainment complex virtually onsite :} :ok:

Julian
7th Jul 2003, 16:03
Flew into there on Saturday, weather was crap so flew the NDB DME approach in. Staff were brilliant when we landed although cafe was shut so ended up in Meadowhall (Merryhell as it should be renamed!).

They are seeing the GA aircraft increase at a steady rate since restrictions were lifted. Apparently Flyer has free landing this month at Sheff, unfortunately havent got it yet so had to part with £11.75 :(

wet wet wet
7th Jul 2003, 19:31
Also visited on Saturday, very friendly and helpful. But as
Julian says, the cafe was closed (apparently the staff had failed to turn up for work!) so straight onto the Barton fly-in for a free hamburger! And very nice it was too!

dmjw01
10th Jul 2003, 20:42
The Sheffield fly-in is still on for Saturday (and dare I say it... there's meant to be a big letter "H" over the UK on Saturday)

I have just phoned Sheffield and faxed my PPR form... don't forget this if you're planning to pop in - radio PPR is not accepted!

There is a teensy bit of a fly in the ointment... unfortunately the cafe moved out of the airfield on Monday, so there is no catering on the airfield at all now. This must be why it was closed on Saturday :( So I'd suggest either bringing a picnic or maybe delay your arrival and eat before you leave home.

Also, Lynn at Sheffield was very keen to point out that hi-vis jackets are mandatory when air-side, so you'll need to beg, borrow or steal one from somewhere.

I do hope this doesn't discourage people from dropping in and saying hello!

Saab Dastard
13th Jul 2003, 03:17
Sorry I didn't make it, but the combination of 24hr faxed PPR, high-viz jacket and lack of catering combined to put me off. Perhaps I shall go when they are less busy ;)

I was nearby, however - flew to Gamston instead, and had a nice bacon butty with coffee for lunch, followed by a wander around to watch the gliders winch launch - brings back some happy memories of Derby and Lancs.

Wot a good day, tho! :D

Cheers

SD

dmjw01
13th Jul 2003, 05:53
I suspect you probably weren't the only one who stayed away for the same reasons. It's a great pity because I agree with what others have said: that Sheffield is a great airfield with a lovely runway and nice facilities - and the people are very friendly and helpful. In fact, Lynn had gone out and bought sandwiches to sell at cost price so that food was available.

I also think that if Sheffield is going to succeed as a GA airfield, it must drop the fax PPR requirement, and also the requirement for hi-vis jackets - neither of which were remotely necessary in my view. Personally, I think it's perfectly easy to fax your PPR (and it's only got to be done once for all time), and borrowing a hi-vis jacket wasn't hard - but the perceived complexity is what counts. Flying into EGSY couldn't be much easier, but if it gains an unfair reputation for being awkward then people won't go there.

Lynn said that the cafe will re-open some time, which is another essential ingredient for a GA airfield. It has the potential to be a cracking airfield if it succeeds - let's hope it doesn't turn into another "X" on our charts.

Romeo Romeo
14th Jul 2003, 17:16
I went there yesterday (Sunday) and I thought it was fantastic. A really nice reception and a really low landing fee! Well worth a visit.

As previously stated, the cafe was closed (although apparently it will be opening soon), but drinks and sandwiches were available due to the enterprising ground-staff.

The PPR doesn't have to be faxed in 24 hours in advance - it can be done on the day of the flight, and if you haven't got a fax machine, then I think they will fill the form in over the phone (that was certainly the impression I got).

I have to say, I don't understand why people have a problem with hi-vis vests. They cost under £10 and you only need them for the crew not supervised passengers (i.e. you only need one). £10 isn't much of an overhead when you consider how much flying costs! We've got one in the back of the aeroplane, bought several years ago on a trip to Humberside, and it's worn whenever required. Also, I think that it is a health and safety requirement - not one imposed by Sheffield Airport. Most big airports do the same.