PDA

View Full Version : Clearing French Customs.

Tango Oscar
30th Jun 2003, 20:12
Can anyone advise me what the procedures are for clearing customs in France. I've flown in France a few times, and always cleared customs at LE2K. I would like to go directly to Amiens next time. Can I fax them giving 24 hours notice, and then fly straight in, or do I always have to go to a 'designated' customs airfield first ?

Also, does anyone know of an airfield, other than Amiens where there is a hypermarket in walking distance. As you may have gathered I'm looking to buy some booze at French prices.

Thanks in advance.

T.O.

Fuji Abound
30th Jun 2003, 22:13
French airports will either be permanent customs or customs by arrangement assuming any customs facilities are on offer at all. In the case of by arranagement it is a matter of speaking to the airfield to determine their notice requirements and ensuring customs can be available to meet you flight if they wish. Simply faxing is not in itself always sufficient unless the airport stipulates something like "customs by arrangement twenty four hours notice required".

I guess you already know the supermarket at L2K is a short walk, or even shorter taxi or bike ride. Bikes can be hired at the airport.

QDMQDMQDM
1st Jul 2003, 04:31
VFR Guide France has the info for each airfield and I presume Delage does too. Mostly it seems very laid back. Had a tale this week though of a Swiss aircraft being told by a controller that yes they could land at X airfield which was non-customs, instead of their original customs destination, then being slapped with a £200 fine by the gendarmes. The controller concerned then denied all knowledge.

As ever in France, apparently (and mostly) laid back, but with a closet taste for 'les reglements'.

David

Keef
1st Jul 2003, 06:40
Amiens (Glisy) - Customs Mon-Fri 0800-1800LT.
Sat, Sun & Hol PPR to AFIS with 6 hrs PN.

AFIS telephone number NOT quoted, but the aerodrome number is 0322381060.