PDA

View Full Version : Bournemouth PIREP. Handling fees, the good, the bad, and the politics

FlyingForFun
30th Jun 2003, 17:44
It's been a couple of years since I last flew into Bournemouth. I remembered it being the perfect place to mix it with the big boys. Very friendly ATC. Landing fees were not low, but not excessive. A bus to take you to the terminal building. A little window next to the passenger check-in desks to pay your landing fees. Lunch in the cafe in the terminal building. Then argue with the security guards to get back out onto the apron again! Altogether a pretty GA-friendly place, but without any illusions of still being in GA-land. It's been a while since I last flew into this type of airfield, so last Saturday I decided it was about time I went back.

I was very surprised by what I found!

The first worrying sign was the NOTAM declaring that all light aircraft now needed to be handled. That certainly wasn't the case the last time I was there.

It turned out that there was no need to be worried - I was very pleased with the whole setup. I phoned the published number, and was re-assured that the handling would only cost me £5, and that includes tea and coffee. It's £5 more than I like to spend on handling, but I was happy that my bank manager wasn't going to choke at the thought (well, no more than he does already), so I got my "PPR Number" to give to ATC when asked, and pressed on with the flight.

If you like my earlier description of pretending to be an airline pilot, then forget Bournemouth. We are now kept completely separate from the commercial operations, off to the east of the airport - in our own little GA world. Outside, there were a couple of helicoptors practicing hovering, and a few people coming and going, talking about and watching aeroplanes - really no different to a small GA airport, except that it happened to be a few hundred yards from a big terminal building!

Everyone at Bournemouth Handling is very friendly (especially the girl who was just covering for someone else, who took my landing and handling fees - pity she doesn't work there permanently, or I'd be going back again regularly!) There was a small group of people sat around drinking soft drinks and chatting.

We asked for directions to the toilet, and were told to walk through another building into the musuem, and use the toilets at the far end of the museum. The musuem itself looks like it would be worth a visit, but we didn't really have enough time to explore it properly. The volunteers told us that many of the aircraft still fly regularly, too, so give them a call to find out if there's going to be any interesting activity. Unfortunately, the landing and handling fees don't include free museum entrance. In fact, the volunteers were quite surprised that we'd had to pay handling fees. Apparently, they own the apron which Bournemouth Handling now run, and the person we were talking to was quite angry that the museum never got to see any of this money. I got the feeling that there may be a little bit of political wrangling taking place here...

Anyway, all in all it's still a great place to visit, although completely different to a couple of years ago. Landing fees are a little steep, and I would think that would be more likely to put you off than the handling fees, which I think are pretty good value.

Now I need to find somewhere else to go where I can strut through a passenger terminal, though ;)

FFF
--------------

Circuit Basher
30th Jun 2003, 17:57
As there *may* be a possibility of my returning South B4 too long (and still having a share in a PA28 @ Bournemouth, which I may try to reactivate), this was an interesting thread for me, particularly as your description of the parking sounds very close to where Airbourne used to park its aircraft (the pan which was taken over as a dismantling area for timex Airbusses, etc, by Channel Express) - very convenient for 26 holds!

Of course, FFF, 'mixing it' with Joe Public is only right if you've got the flying suit with wings OR a very well used Dayglo waistcoat!

AerBabe
30th Jun 2003, 18:05
The museum is worth a visit. If only for the Sea Vixen ... when she's there. Not impressed with the new colour scheme, but if it pays for her to keep flying then I'll put up with it.

capt_sparky
30th Jun 2003, 20:03
Now I need to find somewhere else to go where I can strut through a passenger terminal, though
FFF - So that explains why I saw you at White Waltham walking out to the C172 wearing full pilot's uniform and four bar gold epaulettes?! ;)

big.al
30th Jun 2003, 21:03
FFF -

If you want to strut through the passenger terminal, try Norwich. I went there last October (and will be going again soon). No handling fee, just a landing charge of £13 (they only charge a tenner for any type of training flight).

I parked the C150 at stand 5 next to the Terminal building - mixing it with several Eastern Airways J41s and a Britannia 757. Entry to the terminal is through the 'Aircrew' entrance and then you can wander around in your dayglow jacket, impress the pax and have a coffee or lunch in the cafe.

But in all seriousness, Norwich were very GA friendly for a fairly substantial (if quiet) airport. As I changed frequency from Tower to Approach on departing runway 27, the ATC guy even said "regards to Big.Al" so he must have read PPrune and worked out who I was from the a/c callsign!

Norwich itself is a very 'Fine City' (as the signs say) - I should know, I spent the first 22 years of my life there and most of my family are still there. If you have time, visit the Castle Museum or the Cathedral (very similar to Salisbury cathedral).

Looking forward to my next trip there (in the 172 this time).... but I think I won't bother with the epaulettes....;)

FlyingForFun
30th Jun 2003, 21:52
Sparky, yes, that explains it, although I didn't see you - you should have come and said Hello. Especially since you had some news..... :ok:

FFF
------------

capt_sparky
1st Jul 2003, 00:56
Well, seeing as ops had "NOTAM'd" my news on the whiteboard, I figured everyone knew :D