PDA

View Full Version : Best Place In The Uk For A Jar Ppl (a)?

plankflyer
28th Jun 2003, 22:15
Does anyone know of the best place in the UK to complete a JAR PPL (A). Facilities I am thinking of are accommodation & meals on/near site, good instructors, reasonable rates, large-ish fleet (so lack of a/c not an issue), examiner on hand (easy to book). I am also looking to complete it within 3 weeks (have already completed all the ground work and exams. If anyone has any ideas then please post them on this topic. Many thanks.

oli carley
28th Jun 2003, 22:31
3 weeks, in the U.K? ha, you'll be lucky, theres a little thing called weather

plankflyer
28th Jun 2003, 22:35
That's a little negative - I completed a PPL (H) in the UK in 3 weeks last time!

Flying Boat
28th Jun 2003, 23:56
Jersey is a good place, 3 weeks is maybe pushing your luck but 4 weeks is almost guaranteed.

Did mine there in 3 weeks 2 days (including 1 day off a week).

All training is over water, so you don't develop a fear of it.

The airport is busy, with commercial props & jets, so you become used to fast reaction times & crisp busy Radio.

All cross countries are over France, remember your passport. You also learn international procedures, don't get that as part of a mainland PPL.

Food is good & drink, relatively cheap.

Instructors & staff at the club are very nice & friendly, they will try their hardest to get you to a pass before you leave the island.

The overall package gives you more than just the PPL.

Good luck, whatever you choose.

FB:ok:

HelenD
29th Jun 2003, 00:51
I would recommend Inverness they fly most days of the year. There is a nearby pub/hotel which does good cheap food about a mile away. Instructors are all good, CFI is an examiner. Reasonably cheap well its the cheapest I know of. As for aircraft availability its possible to turn up early on a Sat or a Sun and get an aircraft the same day. Cant do that in the south with places with much larger fleets. There is the added bonus of great scenery - even the circuit isnt boring and the QXC landing fees are arround £4 at each airfield. As you already have a PPL you should find it easier.
oh Oil I had fewer days cancelled due to weather in Inverness than I did on the South Coast

Maxflyer
30th Jun 2003, 02:11
Try Northants School Of Flying (http://www.nsof.co.uk)

There is hotel accomodation on site and the fleet is very mixed.

They are contactable on 01604 644678 ask for Lucy.

Circuit Basher
30th Jun 2003, 16:10
Along with HelenD's recommendation for Inverness, Fife Airport (Glenrothes International) was tooled up for RAF Flying Scholarships until they got seriously curtailed. They thus have good links for accommodation, etc - try giving Tayside Aviation a call or check the Tayside Website (http://www.taysideaviation.co.uk/index.html) and see what they offer. They own/run Fife / Perth / Dundee and the number for Fife is 01592 753792. As far as training airfields go, Perth has a lot to recommend it (I fly from there!) - the phone number for Tayside there is 01738 553357. The advantage of Perth is the fact that they have 3 runways, so the risks of being grounded due to Xwinds is much lower.

As well as opportunities for great scenery on your X countries, you're close enough to EDI Control Zone to play with the big boys ;) ;)

BRL - no commercial links myself, so shouldn't be offending anyone!