PDA

View Full Version : Multi IR instructor

jason007
28th Jun 2003, 05:29
Ladies and gentlemen,

I’m very seriously considering moving up the Instructor chain and to get the applied Instrument restriction removed and the multi added. Lets say I spend the money and do it…all of about £2000 worth of training I recon….so here is my question,

To teach Multi IR once completed training, do you have to fly with the CAA before you can get on with earning money?

How much money per hour can you earn with that privilege?

Is there much demand for Multi IR instructors?

I think I meet all the req to begin training, for example the IFR and the Multi time.

Please help…………£10 per hour is just not enough anymore!
:}

RodgerF
30th Jun 2003, 18:43
Just a few thoughts on your post

There are obviously Multi IR positions, but as they are better paid there will be competition from well qualfied applicants. Many Multi IR instructors have been flying air taxi or line flying and have gone back to instructing, when operations have folded.

I think your estimate for traing costs is too low. Unless you have access to a cheap twin and a cheap multi instructor you will blow the budget on the training alone. You will also need two flight tests with the associated aircraft and examiner costs.

As you have no applied instructional experience, you will be at a disadvantage. You should also consider the other kind of questions any future employer will look for on your CV. Consider your level of X-country IFR experience, in IMC? single-pilot? in airways? Have you done any instruction in a simulator? This is quite a common requirement.

A suggestion might be to get the Applied IF removed so you can teach the IMC. Having an IR when teaching the IMC in some people's opinion is more desirable. You should also earn more money. Why not consider removing the Night Flying restriction? At this time of year its not much use, but come the autumn. Night instruction can also pay more.

AFAIK there is no further CAA requirement once you have the qualifications. However there will be standardisation training to ensure you teach the way the school requires.

The relevant sections are at the following link

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_H.pdf

Best of luck
RF

dr max
30th Jun 2003, 20:12
Would the training cost as much as $3000? What quotes do you have?