PDA

View Full Version : Power settings - advice needed!

Anti Skid On
27th Jun 2003, 19:04
Any advice on this one gratefully received.

My usual type is a C-152, so everything is based on that.

Two up the regular climb speed is 70knots, power at full, this gives the best rate of climb. However when solo (with 80kg or so less meat on board) it climbs like a rocket (all things being comparative!) Keeping it at 70knots on full power seems impossible without an incredible rate of climb (flaps at 10 till 300 ft). When I am turning crosswind I am usually at around 90knots and getting close to 700ft agl. Then I am getting to 1000ft agl before I am ready to turn downwind (when the instructor is in, and providing more mass! the trim usually happens downwind prior to checks and radio call)

That's the scenario. Should I be reducing the power to compensate for the lower weight or increasing the rate of climb by maintaining the best rate of climb speed, or should I climb at the same rate as when we are two up, regardless of the increased airspeed?:confused:

FlyingForFun
27th Jun 2003, 19:10
What you are describing is fine - you should be climbing at best climb speed, regardless of weight.

Being low is dangerous. The aim is to get high, as quickly as possible. It is actually the decreased performance when 2-up which is more of an issue than the increased rate when solo :D although not actually a problem as long as you are within the aircraft's w+b limitations.

Enjoy the extra performance - it'll seem normal once you're used to it! :D

FFF
--------------

Dufwer
27th Jun 2003, 19:48
Definitly go for best rate of climb (70kts) + max power. As FFF says getting higher quicker is better. Adapting to the changing performance in different condition is all part of the learning process. Think about it before taking off to prepare for it, i.e. solo, have to remember I'll get to circuit height quicker, two up, have to remember to tell x to go on a diet, etc.

although not actually a problem as long as you are within the aircraft's w+b limitations.
If you do the weight and balance correctly on a C152 you will find that getting two up with a reasonable amount of fuel puts you outside the w+b limitations. :oh:

D

Anti Skid On
28th Jun 2003, 05:06
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll remember that next time.