PDA

View Full Version : PFA Coaching Scheme Charges - Legal issues?

FormationFlyer
27th Jun 2003, 05:06
Hi all,

OK I have squared it that in order to carry out the dual training flight that the PFA Coaches are CRIs. No problem....but...

How does the charging for the PFA Coaching Courses work? Does the 'coach' receive any renumeration for their time? If so...how on earth can this be legal without commercial licences? More to the point if they cannot receive the renumeration just where does 150/200quid for the course cost go to?!?

Lets see...refresher flying 75quid per pilot per day - Im sure most instructors would LOVE to make this sort of money.....and it cost me 70K to get my qualifications......

Anyone care to set me right regarding the specifics please?

BEagle
27th Jun 2003, 06:45
The PFA 'coaches' were granted CRI(SPA) grandfather rights so that their activities would be in accordance with JAR-FCL. Any new 'coach' must qualify as a CRI(SPA); you will note that the re-validation requirements for a CRI(SPA) are very straightforward and much less stringent than those required for a FI. Indeed, the recent changes in FI revalidation requirements do not extend to CRI(SPA) revalidations - they merely have to conduct 10 hours flight instruction within the 12 months preceding the date of rating expiry or 'Conduct refresher training to the satisfaction of the Authority', or 'Receive refresher training as a CRI(A)' And that's it - no 2-day seminar, no revalidation proficiency check....

Unless the 'coach' has a CPL or ATPL, he/she cannot be paid for his/her 'instruction' by the applicant. However, I understand that they have agreed some deal with the Inland Revenue permitting them to claim 'expenses' involved in their activities..... But who pays these 'expenses'?

I can understand the concept of an expert on a particular type of aeroplane instructing licence holders in its specific foibles - but personally I think that should be the limit of the 'coaching scheme'.

Incidentally, the PFA's claim that:

"As to the future, the introduction of the National Private Pilots Licence (in the plannning of which the PFA Pilot Coaching Scheme has had a large input) holds real promise for further increases in the scope of activities for the Coaching Scheme, perhaps, in the course of time, to allow 'NPPL' training in a PFA aircraft from a PFA strip conducted by a PFA coach!"

is utterly untrue in every respect.....