PDA

View Full Version : Jersey: Anything special?

OBK!
26th Jun 2003, 18:57
Hi,

Taking some relatives to Jersey on Monday and I was just wondering if there is anything special to do? Do I have to informt customs or ring up or anything like that? Or just file flight plan, call the zone for SVFR and straight in via the VRP's?

Thanks in advance.
obk

P.S - I'm in a twin if that makes any difference?

FlyingForFun
26th Jun 2003, 19:16
You will need to get permission from Special Branch, under the Prevention of Terrorism Act. Pooleys contains a list of all the relevant numbers, you pick the one that covers your departure airfield. Some Constabularies require you to fill in a form to meet their requirements. You'll probably find that the staff at your local airfield will be familiar with the procedures for your Constabulary, or else call them and ask.

I think a flight plan is required, since you'll be crossing the FIR boundary - but certainly recommended for SAR when crossing the Channel, even if not actually required.

Have fun!

FFF
--------------

OBK!
26th Jun 2003, 19:18
Thanks for the FFF.

Chow
obk

englishal
26th Jun 2003, 19:29
You will need to get permission from Special Branch
Actually you just need to inform them. There is a form called....can't remember, GenDec or something.....which you fill in and fax off to your local SB, and thats it. Stuff like names and addresses, passport details etc. A word of advice, fax this off EARLY, ie a day before, if you end up not going, no worries, but if you leave it too late I'm sure you'll be getting the latex glove treatment on your return. If they want to visit you, the'll pop over before you leave, if no-one shows up, you know you are good to go.I do one of these for France as well, it is not needed but it you make a habbit of it you don't forget, and SB probably just chuck it in the bin.

Then just the FPLN as normal. Get a FIS or something across the channel, and then contact Jersey zone at least 10nm north of 50°N who will clear you in SVFR. They'll want to know an estimate of 50° N.

Rgds
EA

PS Anyone know where i can download a General Declaration??

OBK!
26th Jun 2003, 20:08
Can I just ring the special branch? Also, I'm guessing I have the renter the FIR at a designated terrorism act airport, i.e Southampton?

Thanks
obk

Mike Cross
26th Jun 2003, 20:36
Regulations for aircraft going to the Channel Isles here (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/gen/10102.PDF)

Channel Isles Control Zone is Class A, Jersey, Guernsey and Alderney Zones are Class D. Flight Plans are mandatory.

Airfield information, including VRP's and routes in and out here (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/html/egjj.htm)

Make sure you check your NOTAM, the French have a habit of changing their prohibited zones and I believe someone is currently facing prosecution for an infringement.

If in doubt consult the AIP!:ok:

Mike

Flying Boat
26th Jun 2003, 20:59
OBK, try using the Pooleys & Jeppessen guides, page 8 of the 2002 Pooleys states that a flight plan must be filled for all SVFR flights in the Channel Islands CTR.

As the Channel Island CTR is Class A, you must flight plan, then as they expect you a SVFR clearance will be given to you (radio just before 50N). Unless you are on an IFR flight plan.

The AC must be equiped with the appropriate transponder equipment. (Pooleys)

Do not fly below 2000ft AGL within 3NM of Sark. (Pooleys)

Other things are mentioned, but i'm not going to type the 2 pages.

Pooleys again, page 657, there are 33 designated airports in the UK, Bristol, Bournemouth, Exeter, Lydd, Plymouth & Southampton are there. You can go dct, but PPR from your local Chief Constable is required in writing.

Upon arrival you must fill out a gendec for the Jersey authorities.

If your twin is 3 tonne or under you will be processed by the Aeroclub, a good set up, you can have a beer upstairs and then go to wherever you are going. The fees are £3 per 1/2 tonne & free parking up to 7 days, grass parking. The club is at the threshold end of RWY27.

If needed the aeroclub can help with accommodation & taxis or car hire.

Have a good trip.

FB

:ok:

OBK!
26th Jun 2003, 21:47
Flying Boat, I already knew that I had to file a flight plan, and knew the aviation regulations regarding 'diverese' ops to the channel islands et al. It's just the special branch stuff I missed and wanted to know about.l Cheers for the information on Jersey layout and Gendec etc :) I don't think a beer is allowed, I don't drink and fly...get's everywhere. (Like you never heard that one before!).

thanks folks :ok:

obk

Hampstead
27th Jun 2003, 01:05
I hope, during the late summer, to be flying to Jersey with another PPL friend of mine. Would someone outline for me what we'll need to do wrt. customs/special branch etc. and wrt airspace restrictions. I've heard all sorts of different stories about special VFR requests but could do with some definitive advice. We'll be leaving from either Redhill or Blackbushe

Hope this isn't too stupid a question

..sorry just seen that someone else has asked virtually the same question earlier today !

eyeinthesky
27th Jun 2003, 05:06
Just a small point: Make sure you don't depart BEFORE the time you have put on the Gen Dec. I witnessed a guy depart for Ireland 15 mins early, only to be called back by Special Branch once he was airborne!

The same is true of your return. Make sure that if you are back early you hang around until your intended arrival time just in case they show up!

Jersey really doesn't hold any fears. Just have an estimate for 50N ready when they ask for it, and beware of the base of N866 at FL35. Expect to be given a departure restriction of not above 1000ft VFR initially, but Jersey Zone are usually amenable to you requesting climb later subject to their traffic. 1000ft all the way to 50N in a single concentrates the mind somewhat. The waves look very close and you will have about 90 seconds to get ready if the donk quits!

Flying Boat
27th Jun 2003, 05:08
Hampstead if you need more than the replies send me a PM.
I'll reply tomorrow.

FB

bluskis
27th Jun 2003, 06:40
In the Met police area the form to be submitted is called Notice of Intended Flight. I think a Gen Dec. was an old Customs form pre EU days. If your airfield has arrangements in place you can depart from there.

Don't forget passports are needed.

Similarly notice of your return has to be given in advance of your Jersey takeoff. I believe something like 6 hours in advance, but check as it has been changed from time to time. Not required if you return via Bournmouth or other immigration manned airport.

down&out
27th Jun 2003, 17:58
fwiw - I'll add my 2p.

Hampstead - flying into Channel Island CAT is a breeze (as long as they have your flight plan). They are v helpful & friendly, will clear you in and give directions to join. Just follow instructions and u r sorted. If your not used to it, it a great feeling going to a big airport with large passenger jets around you.

wrt the "special branch form". I haven't used one in years. I just send a fax with the flight details (dep/ arr time, place, destination , a/c & pilots name& contact number) plus Names, Addresses, DoB, Place of B, Nationality & Passport Numbers of all on board. They don't seem to care how its laid out as long as they have the data

OBK!
27th Jun 2003, 18:18
Hello again folks.

Just a query about this 50N thing. I have planned to go from SAM to MP, straight through the danger area at FL080. However, why do I have to give Jersey an estimate for 50N if I don't actually enter there zone till I get all the way down to the VRP about 15 miles east of the Jersey VOR? Or, do most of you just plan SAM direct to the JSY and go straight into the zone from the north?

Thanks
obk

Flying Boat
27th Jun 2003, 20:37
The 50N rule is for those ACs flying direct to Jersey over the Channel & entering the CI CTR from above 50N.

If as you say, you are flying from SAM - MP, you will obviously talk to Deauville, Brest info & then Jersey approach (at the French coast at either Cap de Carteret or St Germain).

Beware the 1-3,000ft French VFR pilots, they can sometimes get in the way, also don't always see other ACs clearly. An usual trip for them is up & down the coast N-S or vice versa.

I personally would route DCT, assuming the danger areas were OK & save a bit of fuel. I routed directly EGJJ - EGHH & back, no problems, I also believe that Bournemouth is cheaper than Southampton. (someone correct me if I am wrong)

If you try to fly SAM - JSY, my map shows a French R156A, R156B/3500 D575/FL110 & the Nuclear Power Station at Flamanville all enroute. I would dog leg around them, Cap de la Hague VRP, to prevent any potential misunderstanding.

Happy Landings
FB
:ok:

OBK!
27th Jun 2003, 20:53
I'll try routing direct, should save a few minutes! However on my chart I don't see any danger areas in the way should I route direct...? I was going to track down the recommended VFR route, SAM to MP, to get some height, maybe FL060 as the N866 is then out of the way.

The direct route sounds more favourable, and as you pointed out, there are some restricted areas near the direct centreline from SAM to JSY so I would have to go to CAP DE LA HAGUE, maybe even west of that just to be sure to be sure!

I am still trying to find this GenDec form to fax off to Jersey as I want to depart and arrive Nottingham, which isn't a designated field. That's all I have to do right? Send the fax for my departure and arrival?

Thanks.

obk

Flying Boat
27th Jun 2003, 21:24
You'll find the Gendec for Jersey at the aeroclub, fill it in there upon arrival & it is then faxed from the Aeroclub to the Customs/Immigration at the other end of the airport.

The other UK Special Branch approval is done at your end with the written form/fax (as mentioned by down & out).
The tel number for Nottingham's Chief Constable is:

0115 967 0999

Sherwood Lodge
Arnold
Nottingham
NG5 8PP

Have a good trip.

FB:ok:

englishal
27th Jun 2003, 23:39
I think I may have opened a can of worms mentioning GenDec.....what I meant was that there is a form pre-made which you can fax off to SB [I thought it was called a GenDec]. You fill it out and then fax it off prior to your flight [the earlier the better]. You are REQUIRED to inform SB before your flight and this seems the easiest way, fill it out and fax it off, thats all there is to it.The CIs have their own arrival forms, obviously called a GenDec as well. You fill this out on arrival, at the Aeroclub.

I normally route NEDUL ORTAC JSY at 3000', just gives some nice easy reporting points. On your way back you should stop at Alderney and get some Duty Frees [are DF's available in all the CI's?], if you need to re-fuel save it until Alderney and they reduce you landing fee quite a bit.

Cheers
EA:D

OBK!
28th Jun 2003, 00:37
I understand now :ok: Just wasn't awake when I read your original post, but I guess your last post was for dummies like me to understand lol.

Fair winds
obk

P.S- America was great! 939RJ sure is a nice bird.

bluskis
28th Jun 2003, 00:39
All CI fuel is duty and vat free, and Guernsey have reduced landing fees if you pick up fuel. I expect Jersey have the same.

Nothing wrong with calling in at Alderney, its another airfield for the log book.

Flying Boat
28th Jun 2003, 01:45
If you land at Alderney, on RWY08 be aware of the seabirds on approach, normally Gannets. I was shown by a Jersey Pilot to normally approach high & then once over the coast, drop in.

The RWY is 880m/23m.

AC must have £500,000 third party cover & you must wear high vis clothing whilst airside, duty frees are the cheapest in the CIs, Jersey resis go to Alderney for Duty frees, cheaper than Jersey.

Happy landings.

FB

englishal
28th Jun 2003, 19:06
I better buy a Hi vis jacket then....I normally bimble across in a pair of shorts and a T shirt :D Does a 'Loud' hawaiian shirt count as hi-vis?

Good curry house on Alderney as well if you get the chance :D

Cyer

Flying Boat
29th Jun 2003, 00:03
I think it's like most things on the islands, written rules but it depends who is on duty as to when they are enforced.

Highwaiian vis shirts may count if they are brightly coloured, just beware of causing glare to a motorist on the Cherbourg Peninsula.

FB;)