PDA

View Full Version : Rules on carrying car batteries?

santan17
25th Jun 2003, 23:33
I am trying to figure out if an air ferry of sorts would be possible, Does anybody know what the rules are on carrying things like car batteries and petrol?

Thanks

Santan17

FlyingForFun
25th Jun 2003, 23:51
Santan,

You might like to check out this thread (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90578) which I started last month. The conclusion was a fairly definite No for petrol. We didn't discuss car batteries, but many of the issues are similar, and I'm sure that at least some of that thread will be relevant.

FFF
-------------

Aesir
26th Jun 2003, 01:40
If you are flying in "Air transport category" then its an absolute NO if carrying passengers.

Limited quantity of fuel/petrol can be carried on "CARGO ONLY" flights if in approved containers.

Batteries can be loaded in normal transport flight IF they have not been filled with ACID in the case of lead-acid batteries.

Check out www.iata.com for "Dangerous goods regulations".

So legally I´d say you cannot, however practically it´s not a problem. Just secure and fasten the containers and battery carefully. If you are carrying 50 or 200ltr drums leave the lid on a bit loose after you emptied the drum or you´r gonna get a heart attack when it POPS! when you get to altitude.

I fly helicopters for a living and this is just things that have to be carried. I just have to hope I dont get into accident or I´m in trouble. But I never carry anything dangerous with passengers on board!

Hwel
26th Jun 2003, 03:43
cars can be carried by air but they have to be drained of all fuels and oils. rules as for "engines internal combustion" in IATA. Of course if you are on the gumball rally and have got a bunch of russians to fly you to spain then just drive on and off and stuff the rules, race down the runway and generally behave like a bunch of spoilt brats.
Of more relevance to your question there used to be an air ferry from Lydd to Le Touquet with Carvairs (sort of a dc-4 conversion) James Bond used it in one of the books (cant remember which one) Would make a nice change from the boat. be a bit quicker too. Not likely to see that again these days:rolleyes:

http://www.aerofiles.com/carvair.html

or search carvair on google

Golf Charlie Charlie
26th Jun 2003, 03:55
Hwel

The Bond film was 'Goldfinger'.

Are you saying that cars on the old air-bridge across the Channel (BUAF, Channel Air Bridge, Silver City....) were drained of fuels and oils as they were loaded ? The practical issues of defuelling and refuelling would seem huge.

Hwel
26th Jun 2003, 04:29
Goldfinger that was it. well done.
Should clarify they were not drained of oil/fuel in the 50's and 60's but technically to do it now you should drain them. At one point one in four cars were crossing the channel by air. the other type used was the bristol freighter which provided a drive on service as the nose doors were only a couple of feet above the ground. I think they had to use a hi-lo for the carvair.

n5296s
26th Jun 2003, 14:17
In France, ten years or so ago Air Inter used to offer a car ferry service from Nice and a few other places to Paris. My wife used it a couple of times, it was wonderfully simple: drive up to the terminal, wave goodbye to the car, take a shuttle to the terminal, collect car at ORY. The car was supposed to have empty fuel tanks but nobody really checked. Problem was, the car had to fit lengthwise on a pallet, which meant that her Autobianchi A112 was one of the few eligible cars. It was evidently a way to try to fill the almost enitirely empty hold of an A300.

They have long since stopped this service, mainly I suspect because so few cars would fit.

4PON4PIN
26th Jun 2003, 16:46
Packing Instruction 900 Section 5 of DG Regulations refers:
Please read and this will tell you all about vehicles,machines or equipment containing internal combustion engines or batteries.
For those without access suffice to say that vehicles may contain no more than a quarter tank of fuel.
Engine oil does not constitute DAC.
Private Refresher Training on DAC can be arranged for a not inconsiderable fee!!;)

Cornish Jack
27th Jun 2003, 01:12
4PON4PIN
Just beat me to it!!;)
Been there, done that !!!, haven't we? Must be about due for another exhilarating sojourn at Feltham :p :p :p